Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

40 breeder build thread. It's centered around my clownfish!

As some of you saw a while ago, I have a unique clown fish couple that I am trying to pair up and breed. I'm building a 40 breeder just for them!

Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie is the Platinum and Clyde is a Sanjay's Black Photon

This was the stand canopy before it was stained

Stained.

Back of the tank is painted.

I'll post equipment specifics later

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je

Last edited by dc; 09/11/2011 at 05:21 AM.
Korrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2011, 05:18 PM   #2
oceancube1
Registered Member.

looks good korrine, one thing i can tell you is you will end up with more pairs, thats what happen to me and now im loaded with pairs again,,, but its very fun and challenging raising the fry to 2-3 month old babys...good luck

oceancube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2011, 07:28 PM   #3
vwwanksta69
Registered Member

will def. follow the build. Thats an awesome pair!

vwwanksta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2011, 08:02 PM   #4
usatennisfan
Registered Member

Tagging along with much enthusiasm!

Unread 08/20/2011, 08:14 PM   #5
hypnoj
Registered Member

looks good!

hypnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2011, 12:36 AM   #6
socalsalttank
Moved On

Wow the white is rare. I haven't seen one like that.

socalsalttank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Henryreef
Ocean Lover

Awesome clowns and a great build in the making... following along!

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon Rimless
Henryreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2011, 10:07 AM   #8
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsalttank View Post
Wow the white is rare. I haven't seen one like that.
Actually the other one is far more "rare". The platinum is an ORA fish and pretty well distributed, the photon is much more limited.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

I read a rumor that one of the clowns in Sanjay's pair died. Don't know if that's true or not, but there won't be anymore pure Sanjay's if it is.

Thanks guys! I'm just hoping they will become a mated pair. They are still kinda young, I think. Bonnie, female Platinum, still takes quite a few shots at Clyde. No damage, just asserting her dominance. They have been together since February. They are currently in a 10g temporary tank. The 10g will be the RO reservoir when the tank is set up.

I'm debating on which lights to use. Will probably end up with a 175w MH so I can use the 2 250's on the other tank. This will also be a reefish type tank and I do intend to introduce a RBTA after awhile. I also have a RK Lite for it. Also have some moon lights that I can stick in the hood to simulate moon risings in the hopes it will entice them to breed.

I will have a Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 Cone protein skimmer. And will also have a small fuge going.

Any questions, just ask

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Unread 08/21/2011, 06:36 PM   #10
oceancube1
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrine View Post
I read a rumor that one of the clowns in Sanjay's pair died. Don't know if that's true or not, but there won't be anymore pure Sanjay's if it is.

Thanks guys! I'm just hoping they will become a mated pair. They are still kinda young, I think. Bonnie, female Platinum, still takes quite a few shots at Clyde. No damage, just asserting her dominance. They have been together since February. They are currently in a 10g temporary tank. The 10g will be the RO reservoir when the tank is set up.

I'm debating on which lights to use. Will probably end up with a 175w MH so I can use the 2 250's on the other tank. This will also be a reefish type tank and I do intend to introduce a RBTA after awhile. I also have a RK Lite for it. Also have some moon lights that I can stick in the hood to simulate moon risings in the hopes it will entice them to breed.

I will have a Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 Cone protein skimmer. And will also have a small fuge going.

Any questions, just ask
to be honest not really rare, you can actually produce a similar fish using a black and white occy with a regular occy and create a mocha clown which looks identical to your sanjay fish, actually ive seen some heavy looking mochas that almost look onyx really nice, either way your fish is nice and im sure tey will produce some nice fry once they breed, keep up the good work and just keep trying you will get breeding down it's super easy,,,good luck!!

oceancube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Thanks. What is rare is this pair! I haven't ever seen this combo That'd be cool if they produced Dalmatian patterned offspring.

Few questions on sump planning...this is my first sump!

Planning my sump now since my foam came in! (Using the foam baffle setup from wetwebmedia.com) http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...bafflesart.htm

Sump is a 20L so 30".
Sump will look like this with the drain landing in the skimmer compartment.

skimmer area ! return ! fuge

I will "T" off the return to feed the fuge.

Baffle height for the first 2 baffles are 10" and the last one before the return pump is 8"

Skimmer size of the Bubble Magus will be 4.5" * 6.6" * 17.1 ". Can I really just make skimmer area 6" wide to leave more room for the return area and the fuge? The stand is 36" tall so I should be fine when I need to put it in and whenever I might need to take the whole thing out. It just seems like others leave more room than that in their skimmer compartment.

Unread 08/25/2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

well this is how it is right now. I will get to the glass company and have them cut me 1 more for my Fuge baffle. I will glue egg crate on it to keep the cheato from overflowing into the return area.

I had an issue keeping the tape in place as I was moving the baffle over. I think it would be easier if I had wider edpm, but they only went to a half inch wide. I might move them a tad more later...we will see.

Last edited by dc; 09/11/2011 at 05:25 AM.
Unread 08/27/2011, 01:41 PM   #13
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Picked up my plumbing parts!! The black box on the right is the overflow box with it's bulkhead laying in front of it.

Last edited by dc; 09/11/2011 at 05:27 AM.
Unread 08/28/2011, 05:22 AM   #14
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Just bought:
20lbs reef saver rock
20 lbs Pukani rock
Bubble Magus 3.5 cone skimmer
Finnex 150W Heater
175 Watt XM 20k SE bulb
Tunze AquaWind Twin Fan

Should arrive on Tuesday!

Unread 08/28/2011, 05:39 AM   #15
this is me
Registered Member

What are you using the tunze aquawind fan for?

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

cause I'm going to have a 175w MH over a 40g tank. plus cooling the bulbs helps them last longer.

edit:
And that part of the house tends to run warmer.

Unread 08/29/2011, 07:08 AM   #17
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Nice Korrine! I'm in the process of setting up a 40B as well. Still debating my lighting, and I'm going sumpless. I'll be tagging along to see how this progresses.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 07:42 AM   #18
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrine View Post
cause I'm going to have a 175w MH over a 40g tank. plus cooling the bulbs helps them last longer.

edit:
And that part of the house tends to run warmer.
You're gonna be disappointed. I ran mine for 15minutes and took it down an install a 4" pc fan instead. It's probably one of the biggest POS I ever bought for reefing. Let me know how you like yours.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 08/31/2011, 06:39 AM   #19
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Nice Korrine! I'm in the process of setting up a 40B as well. Still debating my lighting, and I'm going sumpless. I'll be tagging along to see how this progresses.
Sure. Follow right along! Hope to get the plumbing at least cut and slipped together. Hope it's glued tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
You're gonna be disappointed. I ran mine for 15minutes and took it down an install a 4" pc fan instead. It's probably one of the biggest POS I ever bought for reefing. Let me know how you like yours.
Awe. That's a bummer. How was it a POS? What didn't you like about it specifically?

Unread 08/31/2011, 08:54 AM   #20
this is me
Registered Member

I bought the aquawind to cool the tank and to replace the PC fan because I like the lower profile on the aquawind. When I plugged it in, the aquawind wasn't doing much. I can feel a breeze if I took my hand in front of it. But if I move a foot away from it, I can't feel with it's on or not.
If you're gonna use your MH, I don't think it will be enough.

Unread 08/31/2011, 06:36 PM   #21
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Got my stuff from BRS Haven't opened any packages yet, but I have it bought 7 fish nets
Each tank will have their own nets to prevent cross contamination of anything. Anything that is used between tanks is already rinsed in tap water, such as my siphon hose. My big tank will have some more special critters in it and that one I'm going to try to make disease free.

And...the rock

Will open that later.

Guys/Gals their items are packed and shipped really well. There are plenty of bio-degradable peanuts and they place items around each other well. It arrives in great shape and ready to use! I've given them roughly $1,000 in business since February of this year and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by dc; 09/11/2011 at 05:39 AM.
Unread 08/31/2011, 06:40 PM   #22
usatennisfan
Registered Member

I feel dumb asking this but what does BRS. stand for?

Unread 08/31/2011, 06:45 PM   #23
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Bulk Reef Supply, one of the sponsor's on here. Don't feel dumb asking a question. If you never ask you may never know

Unread 08/31/2011, 06:45 PM   #24
this is me
Registered Member

BUlk Reef Supply.com
It's where you buy common supplement and maintenance stuffs for a fair price. They ship fast too!

Unread 08/31/2011, 06:47 PM   #25
usatennisfan
Registered Member

How do they compare to TBS?