Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2012, 06:59 AM   #1
tgunn
Registered Member

LED build pics -- advice on splash shield?

Hey all, I finally got my LEDs wired up (thanks der_wille for the advice on that) and mounted:

They're 4" from the water surface.

I'm curious what everyones opinion is about a potential splash guard in my setup? For that matter how much protection from the humid air does everyone think LEDs need?

I was thinking I'd use acrylic to generally box in the LEDs. There is a line of holes along the top front edge of the canopy, and a hole in the back for a fan. The thought was to duct air through the LED space. Another fan would provide separate ventilation for the tank itself. Not sure if thats overkill or if I could get away with just an open partition to protect the LEDs from splashes. Just curious how sensitive everything is to humidity?

Lit tank:

tgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 07:03 AM   #2
MHG
Registered Member

I just screwed a piece of acrylic over the LEDs . I used standoffs from HD but removed it and let the acrylic help hold the optics on....

Unread 04/26/2012, 07:13 AM   #3
tgunn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I just screwed a piece of acrylic over the LEDs . I used standoffs from HD but removed it and let the acrylic help hold the optics on....
Are you running yours in a canopy or in an open top configuration?

My other thought with my self was to just put a couple rails along the side and slide a sheet of acrylic in to protect the LEDs, but not enclose entirely. So the air from the fan in the back would generally blow across the LEDs, but general canopy air would still be swirling around in there.

Just trying to see if theres a potential for the humidity in the canopy to cause problems.

Thanks,
Tyler

Unread 04/26/2012, 09:50 AM   #4
kahkah
Registered Member

The shield I got from rapid with the black heatsink was just a piece of plexiglas that slide onto a couple bars so I would guess that your idea would work also

kahkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 09:57 AM   #5
tgunn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahkah View Post
The shield I got from rapid with the black heatsink was just a piece of plexiglas that slide onto a couple bars so I would guess that your idea would work also
Ah, okay, I took a look at their heat sinks. Thats a pretty slick setup they have with the splash shield integrated like that. It goes to show how they have very little clearance between the lenses and the splash shield; I can probably mine up a bit higher than I thought.

Thanks!

Unread 04/26/2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Sorry, crappy phone pic.

Unread 04/26/2012, 04:40 PM   #7
tgunn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malign Reefer View Post
Sorry, crappy phone pic.

Good enough pic. Nice idea for putting on the splash shield. Those standoffs would haw worked much better to mount my led structure than the DIY offsets and rails I made

Unread 04/26/2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Glad I could help.