Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2009, 07:06 AM   #1
BongoSolo3
Registered Member

Pulsing Xenia location

I've had my 75 up running for about a month. One of the large pieces of LR I bought came loaded with Xenia. Because of it's size, the only place I can put it has heavy flow from both my return and powerhead. I've read some posts saying Xenia like high flow, others saying they like low flow.... These ones seem to not like the high flow (I think). A couple have detached, and I placed them in low flow area - they now look much better. Still not pulsing very much, but at least no longer look pale or brown...

What should I do with the others that appear to be dying? Will they pull off, or do I cut them? They are thicker stalks, so it doesn't look like they'll be detaching on their own anytime soon. I read something about fragging with mesh - I didn't do that with the others, I just jammed them into other pieces of LR....

Thanks for the help.

Unread 11/12/2009, 10:19 AM   #2
gh0st
Registered Member

Xenia can tolerate high flow, sometimes it makes them grow faster, but typically Low to Moderate Flow in an area with good light exposure will be better.

And trust me, they grow fast enough with out the high flow. They will pulse much more in a lower flow location.

Be sure an keep Salinity, Temp, and PH as stable as possible for best results.

gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 05:56 PM   #3
ReefiusMaxiumus
Registered Member

If you want them to spread, place them in an area where they can attach to rock work above them. If you don't want them to spread, placing them at the top a rock column can help.

ReefiusMaxiumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 04:29 PM   #4
linnyesg
Registered Member

Your pulsating zenia need very little flow to pulsate. Any zenia I've had spread like wild fire. They will take over.

linnyesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Trevor15
Moved On

I thought you could put those anywhere with light...

Trevor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 04:36 PM   #6
kac01
Registered Member

I think water parameters have a lot to do with them. My water seems to clean for them to survive.

kac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 09:21 AM   #7
goodtimes
Nothin but

Xenia will survive a long time without pulsating in high flow. And they typically wont grow down a tank, just side to side and up.

goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 10:07 AM   #8
jayray
Registered Member

I have mine in high flow growing up the glass in the back. They seem to do fine in just about any flow.
J

jayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2009, 08:16 PM   #9
darkdruid
Registered Member

Shine a flashlight on them and place them on a damp spot on the floor., they'll make it and spread like crazy...lol

Current Tank Info: 46 gallon bowfront and 35 gallon mixed reefs, several 10 and 20 gallon frag tanks, beginning a 125 build
darkdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2009, 07:33 PM   #10
cliff717
Registered Member

if you want to keep the ones stuck on the rock that are dieing just cut off the stock at the base and set them wherever you want them. but don't be too worried about saving them like was mentioned they will spread like crazy.

cliff717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2009, 03:21 PM   #11
k9gunner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdruid View Post
Shine a flashlight on them and place them on a damp spot on the floor., they'll make it and spread like crazy...lol
No kidding, I have been trying to get rid of the stuff for a year in a 200 gal tank, I cant kill it. It will grow in your toilet.

k9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2010, 01:31 PM   #12
scuba guy ron
Registered Member

if i were you the best placement for a xenia is at the local fish store since they can reach plague proportions within a year and are impossible to remove once they get a foothold. I was given this advice when i purchased mine and ignored it like an idiot because i was mezmarized by the look of the coral. now what started as one head has become aprox 50 and monthly clipping is required which seems to be making the situation worse when they grow back.

Current Tank Info: 6yr old 37 Gallon Column mixed reef
scuba guy ron is offline   Reply With Quote