Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 11:20 AM   #1
GCP01
Registered Member

20H Stocking

Hi Everyone!

I've always wanted to start a reef tank and right now I'm in the planning phase and will hopefully finally start a tank by this coming spring. I'm having problems deciding what size tank to go with. I definitely want to keep it under 29 gallons because I'm a college student and will likely be moving around a bit so I'm hoping a smaller tank will make moving between living situations easier. I'm leaning most towards a 20 high because I enjoy the aesthetics of a taller tank and the 29 is erring on the large side for me. I also enjoy the look of a 15 gallon but think it's too small for the fish I'd like to keep. These fish include:

1 Blue Dot Jawfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Forktail Blenny
1 Yasha Goby

I guess my question is if a 20H is suitable to house all these fish. I'm mostly concerned with each fish having enough space to establish its own territory, like the clownfish. I'm also on the fence about the goby because I fear the jawfish might not appreciate another bottom dweller in the tank. Please let me know what you think!

GCP01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Fiver
Registered Member

Personal opinion:

- I would knock one, if not two, fish off of your list given the tank size.

- I would also vote for a 20 long vs a 20 high, because most fish (and all the ones you listed) use lateral space, not vertical space. (I appreciate that you like the aesthetic of the 20 high; this is just my opinion about the best use of space for fish.)

- I think you will enjoy your clown more if it's in a pair. The pair dynamic is very interesting, and, I just find that a tank of all single species looks unnatural/unappealing aesthetically. I think it helps to have a pair/trio/small group of one type of fish among your scattered singles if your tank size and stocking will allow.

- I have a yellow watchman goby and lawnmower blenny and they're fine, but I also have a 4-foot long tank. My sense is that burrowing gobies tend to have small territories, so it should be OK.

Good luck!

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Xandernfs
Registered Member

When I had my 20H, I had 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 clown goby, and 1 tail spot blenny. That felt like enough for me. I would subtract 2 from that list unless you have a skimmer and want to be doing water changes 1-2 times a week.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote