Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Doctor Quillo
Registered Member

Question I'm new Saltwater and need advice on dead rock

So I bought a bunch of aquarium equipment that was used recently for around 60$ along with a used 30 gallon I plan to turn into a saltwater (I may add coral in the future but for now it will stay as a simple saltwater). Some of it was outdated such as the R/O Filter, so I recently purchased a new one. I have filled my aquarium up with R/O water (to which I have not added salt to yet, I was actually told I can just mix it in the tank if its new and has no life in it) and I have my new filter, used heater, live sand, Dry rock and Dead live rock (The guy said its been dead for at least 10 years). I have been looking around for awhile and I have gotten multiple answers to my solution but am unsure which one to go with, I've heard you need to "Cook"/"Cure" the dead rock from some people while others have said you can just rinse it off with R/O water, some even suggested to take a whiff to see how bad it smelled as a determinant of whether it needed to be cured or not, I have done this and most of just smelled like ocean water, nothing really rancid or rotten. Besides the dead rock I DO have two pieces of actual Dry rock that I was told I could just "Throw in there" since apparently it has no pests on it and it laced with good bacteria according to the people from the local pet store. I was also wondering what order should I add the Dry Rock, Live Sand, and Salt in? Help on these matters would be much appreciated!

Doctor Quillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Kmack0415
Registered Member

So if you just throw it in your going to have to wait for the bacteria to break down the dead organics in the rock, if it's been dead for 10 years imo there's no bacteria left to save. Imo I would soak it in 1:10 muratic acid, or vinegar if you want to go the safer slow way, to get rid of a lot of the organic matter that's built up on the rock. Then make up saltwater and get some smart start or fritz zyme 9, dump it in with your rock, get a pump in there to create flow and let it go, eventually you will go through your cycle. Or you can always put in your tank with the bacteria and let cycle while it's set up but either way your going to have to let it cycle.... The unfortunate part of starting a Marine tank is you can't really rush it. But there are tricks to get it to cycle a little quicker. Do a search for cycling dry rock and there's a ton of articles on it.

Kmack0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 08:42 PM   #3
Kmack0415
Registered Member

Oops, forgot to add... Always start with your rock on The bottom of your tank, then add sand then water. If you do sand before rock you don't get a solid base, if you do water before sand your going to create a mess that you will have to wait for it to settle. While adding water put a plate or something down on top of your sand and pour on to that to keep from creating a dust storm while filling

Kmack0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 12:58 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Some dry limestone (the best rock for marine tanks) contains a load of phosphate that will fuel pest algae growth until 'cured' out. It can go on and on shedding its phosphate until it runs out. You can end up spending as much on phosphate removal as you might on cured but not splendid rock.

The advice is spot on about putting rock firmly on the bottom: if the sand gets moved out from under it by fish or snails, you can have a rockfall that is dangerous for the tank.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Doctor Quillo
Registered Member

Thank all you guys, My tank so far has been doing great!

Doctor Quillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, dead rock, dry rock, new tank