Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2009, 07:37 PM   #1
dirtybarnacle
Registered Member

Question sea apple

have a question i am pretty new to the hobby only have a 24 nano for 3months with tiger goby and 2 gold strip clown. i cant seem to get the nitrates down no mater how many water changes i do. i was out at ms the other day and talked with josh he showed me the coolest thing ever a sea apple and said it would help lower them. is this true or false please help

dirtybarnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 07:40 PM   #2
chadfarmer
Premium Member

josh who?

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 07:59 PM   #3
breutus
Don't ask me, I'm wrong.

LOL chad' great response to a first time poster !

He ask because many of us are familiar with MS and are probably shocked they would say something like that.

A sea apple would be a bad choice on many levels IMO, they are actually stressed by high levels of nitrates and when stressed or killed they can emit a VERY bad toxin into the water, this toxin typically will kill everything in your tank including fish... they also need a lot of foraging room, they would starve to death in a 24 gallon pretty quickly!

As far as getting nitrates down, tell us a little more about your system. what are all the params, how long has it been set up, what type of filtration/skimmer, livestock, rockwork well everything you can think of and we can try to help guide you!

And by the way...

WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL!!!! and the slash forums!

breutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 08:11 PM   #4
dirtybarnacle
Registered Member

not sure i thought his name was josh i have like 20lbs of rock 20lbs of sand and thats about it i bought it used off craigslist came with everything but goby

dirtybarnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 08:34 PM   #5
schackmel
Registered Member

would be an absolute bad idea..like previously said these are very bad animals to place in many tanks and should only be kept in well established tanks by experienced aquariest.

How frequently are you doing water changes, did you clean the tank well before you started it, and are you overfeeding your tank? Did you replace the sand or just transfer the sand from the other tank?

I would try to cut the feedings down by half..it is so easy to overfeed things which can parem problems. Do you have any ammonia in your tank?

schackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 09:20 PM   #6
brandonb8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chadfarmer
josh who?
+1

brandonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 10:09 PM   #7
pro sn95
Registered Member

josh who?

+100 lol

Current Tank Info: 125
pro sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2009, 05:52 PM   #8
achillestang2002
Registered Member

Re: sea apple

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtybarnacle
have a question i am pretty new to the hobby only have a 24 nano for 3months with tiger goby and 2 gold strip clown. i cant seem to get the nitrates down no mater how many water changes i do. i was out at ms the other day and talked with josh he showed me the coolest thing ever a sea apple and said it would help lower them. is this true or false please help
I apologize for the mis-information. A sea apple is a beautiful animal that is INCREDIBLY risky to put into a 24 gallon aquarium. It DOES NOT remove nitrate from the system. It is a filter feeder with high demands.

achillestang2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 07:37 AM   #9
brandonb8
Registered Member

As far as the nitrates go, how are u doing water changes? Are you vacuuming the substrate. Care needs to be taken when stirring the substrate because this can cause great nitrate problems. What are some of your other water paramaters?

brandonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 08:51 PM   #10
saltyshoe_nano
Registered Member

vacume the back chambers when you do water changes as well, food and sutch like to build up back there you can also get cut to fit ammonia pads that will help suck up some nitrates but wont prevent nitrates also how much are you feeding and what are you feeding?

"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not." - Mark Twain
saltyshoe_nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2009, 06:24 PM   #11
tazdev2526
Registered Member

Unhappy sea apple

hello this is Josh Claspille from Marine Solutions..... Somehow either you talked to someone else or you seem to have SERIOUSLY misunderstood what i said. A sea apple is a beautiful free moveing invertabrate, it is a filter feeder and will in no way help to reduce nitrate. When asked about the sea apple i warn everyone that it is a very delicate animal and if it is injured or picked on in anyway it will release a deadly toxin into your aquarium. The sea apple should be left to the VERY experienced. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused you. As far as your problem with lowering your nitrates, although there are ways to remove nitrate from water the easiest and mote time tested remedy is frequent water changes and cutback on how much you are feeding and that should fix the problem.

tazdev2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Fade
Registered Member

Just sell him a sanitizer!

Current Tank Info: 150 in the works
Fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2009, 06:50 PM   #13
pro sn95
Registered Member

Haha those work wonders I heard lol

Current Tank Info: 125
pro sn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2009, 10:15 AM   #14
gardeneel
Registered Member

Re: sea apple

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtybarnacle
Be very careful when you talk to him. Not the first time for bad information from him.

gardeneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2009, 10:46 AM   #15
frenchie
Registered Member

clams filter feed on nitrates but nano's are not usually stable enough nor have enough lighting, there are cheap cleaner clams that filter feed also.

24 gallon nano cube, LED lights, zoanthids, shrooms

Current Tank Info: 93 gallon cube, ecotech LED, swc 160 cone skimmer, lots of softies
frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote