Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2011, 02:24 PM   #26
Palancarpets
Registered Member

Here is a link to Soda Lime under the name of Sodasorb HP works out to $2.14 a pound before shipping.
Sodasorb HP

Unread 01/06/2011, 04:27 PM   #27
dzhuo
Registered Member

Thx Louis. The link you posted is more expensive (a lot more if factor in shipping) than the company I found. I wonder the Sodasorb HP stuff really has higher capacity or not tho? If it does, how much?

We need Boomer!

@HiggyBrew, have you notice any increase or decrease in skimmate production since installing the CO2 scrubber? Have you notice any air restriction?

dzhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2011, 09:20 AM   #28
HiggyBrew
Registered Member

@HiggyBrew, have you notice any increase or decrease in skimmate production since installing the CO2 scrubber? Have you notice any air restriction?

I have not noticed any increase in skimmate yet. Tonight I will clean the skimmer and see how it performs compared to normal operation.

When I cut the air intake line to the skimmer I was watching the skimmer foam closely and it did not change much if at all. The line was attached near the top of the outflow tube (which is capped with a small hole on top). So far I have not had to adjust the skimmer at all.

The pH bottomed out last night about 0.24 pH units higher than normal, I love it!

HiggyBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2011, 09:59 AM   #29
BlueCoast
Registered Member

I just ordered a few lbs to test out. I won't be able to use the window once the tank gets moved.

I wanted to get some thoughts on a potential setup.
I have read about running your skimmer exhaust into the skimmer intake to cut down on skimmate smell.

What would be the implications of running the skimmer in a closed / semi-closed loop to preserve the sodalime media? Is there sufficient gas exchange in the sump and display to off-gas buildups other than co2? If there are successful tanks without skimmers, I would guess there is sufficient gas exchange.

Any thoughts on recirculating the skimmer air through the soda lime? Do you think the skimmer air might be too humid for the media?

BlueCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2011, 11:25 AM   #30
HiggyBrew
Registered Member

My alk has been steady at 132 ppm for weeks, suddenly it dropped 12 ppm the day after starting the CO2 scrubber. Why is this? Could the pH rise have caused the corals to jump start their growth? That's the only thing that I can think of right now...

Any ideas?

Bluecoast:

I would think the humidity would shorten the life of the soda lime.

I would think it best to remove the odor (and the nasty molecules that cause it) from the tank.

Last edited by HiggyBrew; 01/07/2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: more info
Unread 01/07/2011, 12:55 PM   #31
pencil3
Registered Member

Happens on my tank as well, as PH increases/decreases due to the soda lime my alkalinity would bounce all over. What I did is install a T with a ball valve after the CO2 scrubber to allow some ambient air to mix in so the PH never jumps up to 8.4 or higher when the soda lime is changed out. In addition I use a Apex controller for my 2 part dosing. I figured out what the alk/calcium consumption was at the different PH levels and then programmed it so the correct amount is added based off the PH of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggyBrew View Post
My alk has been steady at 132 ppm for weeks, suddenly it dropped 12 ppm the day after starting the CO2 scrubber. Why is this? Could the pH rise have caused the corals to jump start their growth? That's the only thing that I can think of right now...

Any ideas?

Bluecoast:

I would think the humidity would shorten the life of the soda lime.

I would think it best to remove the odor (and the nasty molecules that cause it) from the tank.

pencil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 04:20 PM   #32
HiggyBrew
Registered Member

I am in Michigan. Airgas in Kalamazoo never called me back with a price for the 5 gallon pail of Sofnolime after I talked to them yesterday, I called them today 4 times and no one ever answered the phone.... The Battle Creek store told me that it is $100.05 for a 5 gallon pail. Anyone know of a better deal near me?

Unread 01/12/2011, 06:34 PM   #33
soulsigma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggyBrew View Post
I am in Michigan. Airgas in Kalamazoo never called me back with a price for the 5 gallon pail of Sofnolime after I talked to them yesterday, I called them today 4 times and no one ever answered the phone.... The Battle Creek store told me that it is $100.05 for a 5 gallon pail. Anyone know of a better deal near me?
Tagging along as I need some too.

Current Tank Info: 48x18x21, 30g refugiuam/sump, (2) 250 w MH and 4 65w DC, Aqua Euro USA skimmer, 2 MP 40, quite one return pump 750 gpm,
soulsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2011, 07:09 PM   #34
dzhuo
Registered Member

My transaction with Airgas was pretty smooth. However, I never called them. I simply send them an email at customer.service@airgas.com and tell them my location. The next day, one of their sales manager routed my ticket directly to their district office where the transaction was followed up. See if you have better luck with email.

dzhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2011, 01:10 PM   #35
truebeliever71
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhuo View Post
My transaction with Airgas was pretty smooth. However, I never called them. I simply send them an email at customer.service@airgas.com and tell them my location. The next day, one of their sales manager routed my ticket directly to their district office where the transaction was followed up. See if you have better luck with email.
Dzhou... I was wondering if you are still able to get the same deal from Airgas? They said that I have to either buy a full case or the pail at $141 for the case of 3lb bags or $137 for a 5gal bucket.

truebeliever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2011, 02:01 PM   #36
dzhuo
Registered Member

I haven't use up my 5g bucket yet. There are still at least 70% left. $137 for 5g bucket is double what I had to pay. I was able to get a deal of $65 for 5g (cheapest you will find anywhere; that's less then $2 per lb). I have a few emails from their manager where I negotiate the quote and I am happy to share that with you guys.

Feel free to PM if you are interested and I will give out the email. Or I can cc: you (you would have to give me your email) on the email where I receive the quote so you can talk to them directly.

Unread 03/03/2012, 10:37 AM   #37
azcatsfan
Registered Member.

http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/so...hesia-products

azcatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 12:24 PM   #38
hkgar
Registered Member

Here is where I bought mine.

$2.08 per pound before shipping.

http://www.wayfair.com/Molecular-Pro...AA05BA76#specs

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 06:58 PM   #39
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Here is where I bought mine.

$2.08 per pound before shipping.

http://www.wayfair.com/Molecular-Pro...AA05BA76#specs
As long as we are keeping this thread alive, I also bought a pail from Wayfair. I also got a 20% coupon towards one purchase, and a 6 dollar credit for posting a review of the bucket I purchased. The second bucket was really cheap.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2012, 09:25 AM   #40
somethingphishy
Registered Member

Gonna purchase my second bucket from wayfair today...$6 off for a review? I'm in...

Current Tank Info: 50g/20l sump
somethingphishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2012, 08:01 AM   #41
trcap8
Registered Member

cheaper then soda lime , save $$$$$$$$$

i use a air damper to return on unit!ph 7.8 to 8.4 in 3 days !!!!!!!!air damper lets out side air mix with the air that come in!!! lowing c02 in home , one timefix

trcap8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2012, 10:20 PM   #42
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that an air exchanger can work very well.

Unread 11/25/2014, 05:17 PM   #43
delmo
Registered Member

I got some soda lime from the medical place that's linked here, and it is pretty cheap. Seems to work well. got my pH from 8.05 to 8.2 all the while with a consistent 11 alk.
What air exchanger are you referring to?
That unit that mounts with dryer ducts and is about $450?
I wonder if running some 1/2" poly to the outside, connected to my skimmer would bypass the need of any of this.
Thanks for sharing.

delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2014, 09:03 AM   #44
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Havnt been able to find the wayfair sodalime in a while; I think they stopped selling it.

For those still interested, it's still available on shopmedvet in the 3lb bags.

I also found some available on amazon - Jorvet J0553B Soda Lime Bucket. It's a 5 gallon bucket for $84 with free shipping.

Current Tank Info: 180gal mixed reef, asm g4xx, LED lights, apex, 65gal sump, 2x mp40's, methanol denitrator
DRThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2014, 03:34 PM   #45
hkgar
Registered Member

I found the Wayfair product at Ebay a couple of days ago.

This link may get you there.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...alime&_sacat=0

Free shipping and $93 for 37 lbs

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2015, 10:04 AM   #46
delmo
Registered Member

I have attempted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and wondered if anyone has some intellectual insight on this. I have always had a co2 problem suppressing my pH. I have been using an Avast ozone reactor and this helps keep my pH up a little, along with keeping the water nice. Some time ago I came across this thread and have been using soda lime media on the air intake of my skimmer. I wanted to kick it up a notch and started using soda media in between my ozonator ad ozone reactor, so it goes: Air pump into dryer, into ozonator, into soda lime, into ozone reactor. Anyone see a problem with this?

Unread 11/08/2015, 04:18 PM   #47
bertoni
RC Mod

That should work. I don't know of a cheap soda lime source, though.

Unread 11/09/2015, 11:16 AM   #48
delmo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcatsfan View Post
This is what I use.

Unread 11/09/2015, 02:56 PM   #49
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmo View Post
This is what I use.
Same here

Have also found Sodalime on:
Amazon
Ebay
Overstock
AIRGAS has a regonal branch here in Fort Lauderdale but I havnt tried dealing with them direct

Current Tank Info: 180gal mixed reef, asm g4xx, LED lights, apex, 65gal sump, 2x mp40's, methanol denitrator
DRThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2016, 10:29 PM   #50
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palancarpets View Post
Here is a link to Soda Lime under the name of Sodasorb HP works out to $2.14 a pound before shipping.
Sodasorb HP
The Sodasorb is a good price but darn shipping is like $60! that is almost as expensive as the media

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote