Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2011, 05:01 PM   #26
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

The problem with mixing the two is that the carbon has a shorter life span than the GFO. The carbon gets a bacteria film in fairly short order and that film then forms on the GFO. That decreases the GFO's life span. I always had a speparate carbon chamber downstream of the GFO. It was noting fancy and I used a bypass valve to control flow rates to the two reactors.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2011, 07:26 PM   #27
jamest0o0
Registered Member

I understand why mixing them causes problems now thanks to everyone here , but I'd think with only an 8g tank having a layer of high capacity GFO and then a sponge followed by a layer of lignite carbon in my reactor should work well right? How do I know when to change the carbon or GFO though?

Unread 08/10/2011, 09:05 PM   #28
Coppertop412
Registered Member

Warning! Thread hi-jack in progress!

I'm new to reactors, but it is my understanding that you want the phosban to tumble in the flow. If you have it 'layered' and separated by a sponge it won't be able to tumble. I also read that if not allowed to tumble it will bind together fairly quickly, creating a brick, and be useless. I just ordered a reactor and Phosban, and I am trying to find the best, most efficient way to use it to reduce my phophates.
Thanks in advance for all input!