Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2015, 02:23 PM   #1
paulmygdal
Registered Member

SG 1.021 - 1.024 in one 20% water change

Hi, i managed to get some real nice mature LR 3yrs for my already cycled 100ltr tank, i only had the salt mix for fish only but this new LR has coral all over it.
I was going to wait a year before trying coral as I wanted to make sure I could keep water parameters stable before taking on more complex biochemistry. Now I have 10kilo of this real nice LR with free corals so I thought since iv been doing well for the past 4months of keeping only a couple damsels and a few mollies I may as well not waste these free corals.
I have red sea coral pro salt at the ready, I have heated ro water ready sat right here next to me and I was wondering if anyone can tell me is it possible to raise the whole 100ltr tank from 0.021 to 0.024 with a 20% water change.
Without shocking the fish?

Also how do I work out how much more salt to add to the mix to raise it, save me the maths lol. I'm about to start that now, I'm sure I'll wrk it out but I bet I find out its not easy.
Any help would be great
Many thanks
Paul

paulmygdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 02:28 PM   #2
RockOn681
Registered Member

Your fish currently in the tank might not appreciate that jump at one time. Typically people raise salinity over a period of days to even weeks.... What kind of coral are on the rocks? What were the parameters they were coming from?

RockOn681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 02:52 PM   #3
paulmygdal
Registered Member

Nice one for quick reply, I'm sat here thinking that same thing.
I don't know what the coral are called, he never replied after I got the rock but he is selling frags locally so he must be doing it right if he's growing them.

I never checked the water the rock was with as I didn't think there was any coral on there.
The dose says 36.0g per liter
20% water change 20liters
Do I just add more salt, say 40g, I dunno
I know there's some maths and science to it which I am willing to learn but I'm over due a water Chang as I was waiting on the salt. Needs doing asap

paulmygdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 05:45 PM   #4
bundybear1981
Registered Member

When raising salinity it needs to be done slowly to prevent burns to the gills of your fish (which can kill them). They can handle a drop quickly but raising needs to be slow.

Try to top up with your NSW instead of normal RODI until you get the level you want.

Remember patience is very important in this hobby.

Good luck!

Current Tank Info: New Build : 250g (6x3x2) with 2x RW15 pumps, 2x 2200lph return pumps, Tunze ATO, Jebao Dosing Pump, AquaOne G220 Skimmer
bundybear1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Mishri
Registered Member

That really isn't too huge of a swing.. You could probably do it slowly over several hours without losing a fish. But, is it worth saving the corals? They were free...

What kind of coral is it? If it's green star polyps or xenia kill it now

Will your tank support corals? (Lighting/water movement, etc..)

Tags
salt mix raise gh coral