Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2015, 01:31 PM   #1
Lucky Lefty
Registered Member

Desjardini diet schedule

I've been doing a lot of reading trying to figure out when or how often to feed my desjardini tang.
he's about 4 inches long from nose to tail.
Before I got him, all of my nuisance algae amd cyano was 90% or more gone. Back wall was looking great.
His first week home, he wasn't eating much of anything so I was trying a ton of different foods to get him to eat. That first week I certainly overloaded the tank with food, trying brine, mysis, nori, formula 2 pellets, Julian Sprung red seaweed, squid, and I think 2 other kinds of pellets.
at the end of week 1, he was devouring the nori and going crazy on the formula 2 pellets.
the problem, is now my back wall has a TON of long green hair algae and my rocks began to grow red hair algae again, after a couple weeks ago they were near pristine.
As most know, he eats A LOT. He will eat the whole bag of nori if I put it on the clip, and he loves the formula 2, so it's hard to gauge what enough food for 1 day is.
I also would like him to exhibit some natural behavior and eat the hair algae of the walls and rocks, so I don't want to spoil him with nori on clips and all that.
So my question is, how often should I feed the nori, how often should I feed the formula 2 pellets, and how can I get him to graze on the algae in the tank without starving him.
I was thinking of scraping a chunk of the hair algae of the back wall and putting it on a clip, maybe if he eats it off the clip and likes it, he'll go for it on the wall.

I think im going to change my username to LongwindedLefty

Current Tank Info: est.5/9/14
Lucky Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Feed the nori 3-4 times a week. Formula 2 everyday. As far as getting him to eat the algae that will take starving him more than likely. I fed my Desjaradini 4-6 times a day when he was small and 2-4 times a day when he hit 6" or so but I fed the nori everyday

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 05:03 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Big eaters, Sailfins! Can be picky too. I have to feed mine nori daily to keep a healthy weight on (failing with one of them too). Neither of mine are particularly enamored with frozen fare, though they go bonkers for flake food and pellets ..... Go figure. None of the Sailfins I've ever had, whether Desjardini or regular, were particularly good at picking algae off the rocks. My best performers have traditionally been yellows or bristletooth. My current convict is really good too.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Lucky Lefty
Registered Member

Today all I gave was a pinch of formula 2 pellets, did not give any nori.
he devoured the pellets, and was constantly check the clip for seaweed, but that may have be a reflex of seeing my by the tank.
I did notice him pecking at the rocks though while I sat and watched the tank for a while.
I think im going to do a healthy serving of nori every other day, and on off days I'll drop in some formula 2 and maybe some squid

Unread 03/02/2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Lucky Lefty
Registered Member

I'm thinking I'm going to do daily nori amd formula 2 every other day..
it just doesn't seem like he's getting enough without the nori. I don't think the pellets are enough for the whole day.
Anyone with a sailfin want to share their regimen?

Unread 03/02/2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

Have you tried the New Era mini marine grazer? Absolutely the best food I have tried on any vegetarian fish. I have a desjardini, a yellow tang a blue tang, and a fox face and they LOVE this thing. They spend their whole time just nibbling it away slowly. with the four fish a disk lasts about an hour. If your desjardini is the only vegetarian in your tank it can literally last all day

Current Tank Info: 180 Mix Reef + 28G Seahorse Species Tank
Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 08:20 AM   #7
Compliance
Registered Member

My desjardini will only pick at the new growth on the rocks, not established hair algae.

Best bet (besides reducing nitrates/phosphates to inhibit growth) is to manually remove the longer pieces.

Compliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Lucky Lefty
Registered Member

Thanks for replies, I'll check into that grazer disc and maybe give that a shot.

Yesterday I actually did scrape of about 90% of the long hair algae, I just couldn't take seeing it any longer.

Unread 03/03/2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

If it's hair algae you are trying to battle, my recommendation is a foxface rabbitfish- seriously ever since I have had this baby I have not seen a single "weed", and my foxface is model citizen never touch corals or clams.

Current Tank Info: 180 Mix Reef + 28G Seahorse Species Tank
Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Lucky Lefty
Registered Member

I have seriously been considering the magnificent fox face, such a beautiful fish.
I have kind of talked myself out of it because they seem to get pretty big, and I don't want to have to many large fish. I'm already pushing it with the porcupine puffer and the sailfin in the 150.
that, and the extremely venomous spines scare the hell out of me.

Unread 03/04/2015, 01:50 PM   #11
Lucky Lefty
Registered Member

On another note.. am I the only one who thinks a fox face should be called a horse face? It's head looks so much lime a horse

Unread 04/05/2015, 04:00 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenliu9 View Post
If it's hair algae you are trying to battle, my recommendation is a foxface rabbitfish- seriously ever since I have had this baby I have not seen a single "weed", and my foxface is model citizen never touch corals or clams.
Which foxface do you have?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote