Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Crispy001
Registered Member

How common are 100% Green Star Polyps?

I bought some GSP quite some time ago as one of my first corals, but I've noticed my variety is different from the GSP I see in most tank pictures. Specifically, the mouth is entirely green instead of white or brown, which looks significantly better (in my opinion).

Is this an uncommon coloration? I know GSP is generally worthless, should I bother trying to frag/sell it? What would you do?

Pictures of mine vs what seemes to be most common

Crispy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:13 AM   #2
pyithar
Registered Member

there're many types of GSP. yours look good too imo. the most important thing here is what makes you happy. so it's up to you. i would sell the corals that i don't like and get the corals that i like.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 08:24 AM   #3
FishyFishy69
Registered Member

I have both as well. I like to have the variety in there. Now....if I could only slow their growth.....

Unread 02/27/2015, 09:27 AM   #4
amt346
Registered Member

I somehow got my pink encrusting gorgonian to go dormant on a baseball size rock so thats nice! Wish I could replicate it

amt346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 02:46 PM   #5
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy001 View Post
I bought some GSP quite some time ago as one of my first corals, but I've noticed my variety is different from the GSP I see in most tank pictures. Specifically, the mouth is entirely green instead of white or brown, which looks significantly better (in my opinion).

Is this an uncommon coloration? I know GSP is generally worthless, should I bother trying to frag/sell it? What would you do?

Pictures of mine vs what seemes to be most common
We generally think GSP is worthless, but do not tell that to my local petco and big LFS. They sell small frags for 25 and fist sized colonies for 50.

I like your variety better than the norm, would that be considered "metallic GSP"?

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 03:49 PM   #6
Crispy001
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
I like your variety better than the norm, would that be considered "metallic GSP"?
If it has a different name, I haven't heard it yet. I bought it from a LFS in San Luis Obispo, CA, and I know they sourced it from a wholesaler in southern CA. I've never seen the same coloration at any other LFS and very rarely do I see similar pictures online, hence the post.

Crispy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 09:26 PM   #7
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Most LFSs have no issues shifting GSP/Xenia etc. etc.. Despite what the majority of the online community feels about these pests, new hobbyists LOVE them and quite frankly new hobbyists help keep this hobby going... not many people stick with it, and their business helps our LFSs.

Anyways it's an interesting variety but IMHO I prefer the neon green with the white centers because of the contrasting colors.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 08:02 PM   #8
aquascapelove
Registered Member

I convinced the man to put some of the more common gsp in our tank and he's "banished" it to an "island" in the back. I don't know much yet really new to the hobby but honestly I think your gsp is gorgeous and personally I would certainly buy a frag or two if I found it in my lfs, I don't know but by you but our lfs is always willing to try and sell a couple frags and see from there. My gsp actually came from another hobbyists tank here locally. Thanks for posting cool to know there's other kinds of gsp since I truly love the way it looks flowing in the tank.

aquascapelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 08:23 AM   #9
mgraf
Registered Member

The variation you have, I believe, is not the standard star polyps. I believe it to be more similar to briarium. I have the same, it has feathery polyps, instead of the standard Gsp.

mgraf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gsp