Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 07:42 PM   #101
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Pressing the RestStart Button: JonezNReef 180g 2.0 (plus 120g breeding system)

Decided to clean up around the fishroom today. Also did a little much needed wire management.

Have room for when I am able to get a controller

Also picked up a Jebao doser and got it calibrated. I will pick up some tubing and containers this week and should get it going sometime soon.

Also decided to put my GFO Reactor back online to help aid against algae.

Here’s how how the DT looks at the moment

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735

Last edited by JonezNReef; 03/11/2018 at 08:39 PM.
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 01:42 PM   #102
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So both the Clown Tang and the CB made it through TTM and QT and into the DT. Unfortunately today about a week after being in the DT the Copperbanded jumped. I forgot to put the lid back after cleaning off some of the rock work. More than likely it was one of the Tangs that chased him but it might have been the cardinals since the male has eggs and the CB kept trying to sleep near where the male hangs out. Hopefully I get as lucky with my next CB since this one was eating frozen Mysis and Aptasia.
So today I am cleaning out my tanks for TTM and QT and I placed another order today for a few more fish. Also I went ahead and ordered a few Berghia and eggs.
So today I plan on getting those tanks set up and also try to get my doser modified and online.

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
Unread 03/17/2018, 08:39 PM   #103
JonezNReef
Registered Member

I was able to get the doser modified and hung. I will have to test the water tomorrow and see where it stands and go from there.
Also I should have the QT and TTM tanks ready for Tuesday when the fish come in. Thursday the Berghia come in.

Also hung up the GFO reactor

The doser after a slight modification

Unread 03/20/2018, 04:59 PM   #104
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Round 2

So my fish came in today. It will be my second try at the Copperbanded (last one jumped) and also the Ocellaris (last one died first night). Also I picked up a Powder Brown.
The PB is a good size and doesn’t look too bad after shipping and acclimation .

This time around the CBB is a bit bigger than the last one

And if you look towards the back middle you can see my plain clownfish

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:32 PM   #105
JonezNReef
Registered Member

A minor update.
The fish in QT are doing well so far...atleast no first night deaths. Tomorrow my Berghia should come in so I am setting up a little tank inside my sump to house them on a rock with Aptasia until they get there population up and then start putting them in the DT. Also I went ahead and ordered a few Acro frags that should be here Friday. So it’s been a exciting week so far with more to come

Unread 03/23/2018, 07:12 PM   #106
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Pressing the RestStart Button: JonezNReef 180g 2.0 (plus 120g breeding system)

My Berghia came in yesterday and one even laid eggs in the shipping container overnight. I placed the container next to a rock with aptasia on it over night and I was able to see the Berghia on the rock today.
Also today my 6 frags came in. Not sure what the names of them are but 3 are Millepora and the others are acros of some sort.

Unread 03/28/2018, 02:32 PM   #107
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So I noticed that all the fish in my tank were ganging up on my Clown Tang. I tried to catch him for 3 days with no luck and today he was dead. So with my next batch of fish in QT I am going to try something else when putting them in the DT. This time I am going to catch as many of the fish in my DT as I can and house them in my Frag tank. Then I will introduce the new fish and after a day or so I will put the others back. Worth a shot because the CBB I currently have is the most timid fish I have ever seen. And my luck so far with the Pwder Brown has been well considering he hasn’t been fazed with TTM.

I also have more to update on yet another purchase I made this past weekend.

Unread 04/02/2018, 07:48 PM   #108
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So last weekend I ended up bringing in some LPS frags to the LFS. He had a “Carpet Anemone” for sale that had been there for almost the past two months. He said he was tired of it because he couldn’t house anything with it. It wasn’t looking to great so I traded him the frags for the nem. I was hoping it was a gig but turned out to be a hadonni. It currently resides in my bottom 180 by its lonely so it doesn’t eat any of my fish. I might set up a tank just for it later on since I still plan on getting a gig or a mag. But for now I will get this one back too 100% and see if I can get away with setting up a new tank some where LOL.

Unread 04/03/2018, 01:19 AM   #109
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
So I noticed that all the fish in my tank were ganging up on my Clown Tang. I tried to catch him for 3 days with no luck and today he was dead. So with my next batch of fish in QT I am going to try something else when putting them in the DT. This time I am going to catch as many of the fish in my DT as I can and house them in my Frag tank. Then I will introduce the new fish and after a day or so I will put the others back. Worth a shot because the CBB I currently have is the most timid fish I have ever seen. And my luck so far with the Pwder Brown has been well considering he hasn’t been fazed with TTM.

I also have more to update on yet another purchase I made this past weekend.
Good news with CBB and Powder Brown.
My Brand New Powder Brown got something (looked like it...Tried everything to save him)......Happened a while ago, and never made it.
Also just got a CBB few days ago and he just got ich (Today0. Yet very timid fish. Have one for years, and love them.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 01:23 AM   #110
Wally.B
Registered Member

Careful with the Carpet Anemone, to make sure they don't go up into your tank drain, and plug it.
Flooded my friend basement when that happened.
But they are great for clowns (if they match up). Not always, and take patience

Unread 04/03/2018, 01:24 AM   #111
Wally.B
Registered Member

All your frags have PE so looking good so far.

Unread 04/03/2018, 09:27 PM   #112
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
All your frags have PE so looking good so far.
I hope they stay that way lol. I plan on putting them into the DT this weekend. Also I ordered some of the Mastik food you guys were talking about on your thread to give a try. Luckily living in Florida I have plenty of shells to put it on and see if I can get my CBB to eat more. I finally have him nipping at mysis but right now he lives on small rock pieces with aptasia and pods that I get out of my bottom 180. I’m not treating with meds so it’s no big deal and if I have to treat I will just remove the rocks first and let them dry, clean them up and place them back in the sump for the next go round.
The Powder Brown on the other hand has been a little pig. After TTM I went ahead and put him in my frag tank for now to make sure he doesn’t stress out the CBB or the baby Clownfish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Careful with the Carpet Anemone, to make sure they don't go up into your tank drain, and plug it.
Flooded my friend basement when that happened.
But they are great for clowns (if they match up). Not always, and take patience
So far the nem hasn’t moved much at all which is good. Also it is inflating more and has closed its mouth a little more with each day. I am just not sure that I will keep it. I got it 1) because it looked like it wasn’t going to last much longer at the fish store and 2) in hopes that it might be a gig. But now that it is shaping up its clearly a hadonni and I didn’t plan on owning one. So once I know it’s in good shape I will likely rehome it.

Unread 09/03/2018, 12:19 PM   #113
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Over due update... tank crashed due to alk swing and I lost almost all my coral. Now I’m trying piece the tank back together but it will take time since I lost interest after that. We will see

Unread 09/03/2018, 01:18 PM   #114
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
Over due update... tank crashed due to alk swing and I lost almost all my coral. Now I’m trying piece the tank back together but it will take time since I lost interest after that. We will see
Sorry to hear about the crash.
I've gone through many problems over the years, and each time you learn to get better in this complex/risky hobby.

They way I see things is, it's better for things like this to happen before the corals are mature and the loss is much more painful.

I'm not saying I wished all my problems happened, since each was depressing and hard work to recover.

What caused the Alk Swing?

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 09/03/2018, 07:24 PM   #115
JonezNReef
Registered Member

I didn't notice that my dosing containers were empty, so Im unsure how long it was empty. So I tested the water and brought the Alk back to where it was suppose to be according to the test and noticed that everything was dying. So I went and bought a new test kit only to find out that my ALK was off the charts. By the time I got it back down it was too late. So I basically gave up on maintaining the tank for a few months because I was so mad I lost almost all my coral. All I did was keep the auto top off full and feed the fish.
But today I decided to clean up the DT, clean the skimmer, and test the water. Currently I only have a few coral left, mainly LPS. Also my CBB died after about a month and recently one of my Cardinals disappeared. My Haddoni carpet anemone has been in the bottom 180 since I got it so since there is so much open space in the top tank now I moved it up today. I had to tickle its foot for almost half an hour to get it to release from the bottom glass. Also I took my Seabae from the frag tank along with my one eyed clown fish( One Eye Willy) and put it on the other side of the top 180. I shut down my 40g frag tank too since all the coral in it died off too.

The clown thats been in the DT took right to One Eye Willy and both Clowns and even the single Cardinal jumped right in the Saebae and called it home. Still waiting to see if the Haddoni is going to plant its foot where I want it to. Also my Powder Brown has become the Boss of the Tang but doesn't really bother the Yellow or Scopas Tang except to remind the Yellow whos boss now and then.

Other than that today was the first day I have messed with my system in a few months. On a bright note I think the Alk swing also killed off most if not all the Aptasia so atleast there is one up side to it all. I plan on cleaning up my fish room and I might even do a water change soon....maybe.