Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2015, 07:39 AM   #1
ASKarriem
Registered Member

How do gsp grow

My gsp has apart of it that is turning white and looks almost like bone. Is this apart of its growing process?

ASKarriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Mock
Saltwater Junkie

Nope, its a purple carpet that it grows.... If part of it is turning white, I would assume it ran into something or you might want to cut that part off and let it heal. You should just see a purple mat when the polyps are closed. Not white.

Unread 05/22/2015, 12:35 PM   #3
ASKarriem
Registered Member

Ok, one of my fluorescent bulbs had went bad, could that have been the cause for the white

Unread 05/22/2015, 02:09 PM   #4
Mock
Saltwater Junkie

Could very well be an issue, I would just check everything, levels, lights, you name it, cover all your bases. Its very hardy so I wouldnt expect it to die but it could be stressed.

Unread 05/26/2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Webmanny
Registered Member

Do you have anything else touching it that could be causing this? As far as how it grows, it spreads everywhere by growing it's purple mat. It jumps to close by rocks and glass. It looks very cool, but make sure you keep it in check.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 12:38 PM   #6
ASKarriem
Registered Member

I have red leg hermits but it seems to be turning back purple. What things could touch it an do damage?

Unread 05/27/2015, 08:24 AM   #7
youcallmenny
Registered Member

Is the white part under less light? I've had them bleach a little where they grow into the shade.

youcallmenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2015, 01:24 PM   #8
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKarriem View Post
I have red leg hermits but it seems to be turning back purple. What things could touch it an do damage?
Any aggressive coral that sting will/may cause this. For example, my GSP mat is growing out of its rock and into a Torch coral I have and the Torch is keeping it in check by stinging it and turning the tissue that it touches white.

These are very hearty corals and they will almost always bounce back, but you should keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get out of control.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote