Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2008, 10:21 PM   #1
new2u
Registered Member

New Skimmer Woes

I'm sure you've seen a ton of these thread before, but after taking a little bit of a break from the skimmer market a year later everything seems to have changed.

I've been running an incredibly underpowered Remora Pro along with an Ecoystem on my 120, but just ordered in my new custom sump to replace my old "junk" if you may. With an in-sump skimmer compartment I'm really excited about my new options but everything seems to have changed on me!

Last time I was looking into upgrading my system, when I didn't have the mone EuroReef, AquaC and GenX seemed to be the prominant competitors in the mid-range market. (200-400 being the most I'd like to spend).

However, I seem to be seeing a ton of MSX and H&S threads floating around after searching for a while. Is the MSX the new top toy on the market?

I'm seeing that around 300 + shipping the MSX-160 seems to look like a pretty viable option. Is this enough to cover my moderatly stocked 120 with 30 gallons sump? Of course the standard 150-200lbs of live rock, LPS/Softies, non-BB tank. Lightly stocked now, but I plan to move to a moderate 1 inch to 3-4 gallon ratio eventually.

Simply put, is the MSX the right idea?

Thanks!

-Willis

Current Tank Info: Reefer 850 XXL - LPS/Zoa Dominant mixed reef
new2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Shawn D
Registered Member

The msx sounds like a good fit to me for your tank, its definitely best bang for your buck out their now

Shawn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2008, 12:43 AM   #3
kdblove_99
Registered Member

I'm loving my MSX 200. a 160 should do but i would personally get a MSX200 for a little more $$$

kdblove_99 is offline   Reply With Quote