Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2019, 01:26 AM   #1
drgorecki
Registered Member

Pacific Sun Kore 7th kHLab Fanclub - Alkalinity Test and Control

I think that it will be interesting to start this discussion.

I was following from a very long time a lot of new solutions for automatic alkalinity monitoring and control (sometimes similar to each other). Few different companies developed very interesting devices able to accomplish this goal at least as they are claiming.
Also, with a very big hope, I was waiting for one of the most complex, covering not only alkalinity but also calcium and magnesium with an ability to monitor module from a very well known company for their Apex complex aquarium controller. But, over time with a lot of presentations, for almost two years and all the promises that this module will be available soon, I’ve got tired waiting and waiting and waiting. During this time I really realized that the only thing I need to check and especially control is just alkalinity. The one most important from all three (ALK, Ca, Mg) aquarium parameters. The Ca and Mg I just don’t need and I’m perfectly ok with just simple titration test kits like Salifert or others widely available on the market, accurate enough and I’m sure I’m not alone with that opinion.
So, with that said I was focusing on only alkalinity monitoring/controlling devices available on the market. I also noticed something very important that almost all the companies are focusing on measuring the alkalinity by using pH method instead of some photometer method like well known Hanna calorimeters are using. Over time I figured that has to be a reason why most of the solutions for Alkalinity measuring are focusing on the pH based method instead. I believe that is the best and most accurate method for a long term alkalinity measuring and control. Of course, time will tell and judge this statement, but at least for now I was enough confidence that I will go towards this direction.
Since I was using Pacific Sun dosing station Kore 5th and I know that this company has a very strong Research and Development Group, constantly showing us the most innovating solutions for aquarium hobby and I decided to go with Pacific Sun Kore 7th kHLab solution.
I’m using Pacific Sun Kore 5th dosing station from almost 4 years now without any problems and it’s even v.1 not the released later, even better v.2 with some improvements. I’m still using Kore 5th and I’m happy with this dosing station even with not so comfortable BT communication way to program and setup this dosing station. Based on my experience I can tell that Kore 5th is a very reliable and robust dosing station.

I hope that someone from Pacific Sun will join this thread and conversation and guide me and aquarium community with more information, best practices and even future additions to their alkalinity monitor, control solution.

I noticed that Kore7th kHLab has very good instruction with all setup and configuration steps making the user experience even better.
Quality build as always from Pacific Sun is very high and at this point is important to mention that. We all like to touch high-end quality devices.

My main goal is to focus on the ability to control alkalinity by this device. Monitor and just check the alkalinity is not that hard to accomplish like control. We all know how fast KH can change during just 24h window with high demand SPS corals when even light is one of the dependencies and factors impacting alkalinity swings.

Kore 7th kHLab seems to be this kind of device which is not only able to monitor and control alkalinity but also able to maintain alkalinity at a proper and stable level.

Please see just a few photos I took and I almost forgot to mention that I've noticed that Pacific Sun come out with a very smart and simple calibration method with a digital scale. This method is improving accuracy.
With my limited time, I will try to share my test results as I go and we will see if it was worth it to buy it.

Last edited by drgorecki; 01/22/2019 at 01:47 AM.
drgorecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 01:32 AM   #2
VJV
Registered Member

Following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2019, 12:23 PM   #3
REdPanther
Registered Member

Does anyone know how to fix the wifi? My kore 7th with kh lab missing it's wifi capability. I just realize it this night.

REdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hello,
I'm not sure what it mean "fix wifi" . Probably you can't connect to doser WiFi because it's connected to your home network.
If you tried to connect Kore 7th to your local home network - it will not be "visible" as standalone WiFi network. If you want to back to default settings - switch off your home network and power on your device again(without local Wifi network). In other way - device will switch from AP mode(Access Point) to Client (and without knowing on which IP it is in your home network - you will not be able to connect it).
Please contact with our technical support for direct help (and remote session if it will be needed).
They will reply your mail tomorrow morning if above will not help.
\
Regards

Przemek

Unread 01/27/2019, 08:48 AM   #5
REdPanther
Registered Member

Hai Przemek,
I've never try to connect kore 7th wifi to my home Reuters. I don't know how to do that. I've already tried your suggestion. Switching of my home Reuters and plug the power to my kore 7th. Kore 7th wifi still didn't appear. Any other suggestion?

Unread 01/27/2019, 01:22 PM   #6
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REdPanther View Post
Hai Przemek,
I've never try to connect kore 7th wifi to my home Reuters. I don't know how to do that. I've already tried your suggestion. Switching of my home Reuters and plug the power to my kore 7th. Kore 7th wifi still didn't appear. Any other suggestion?
If that simply solution not helped - please contact with our technical support directly - it's best way to get help!

Regards

Przemek

Unread 01/28/2019, 02:30 AM   #7
REdPanther
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
If that simply solution not helped - please contact with our technical support directly - it's best way to get help!

Regards

Przemek
I've already email service and forwarded to you yesterday, still no reply from service, thanks.

Unread 01/28/2019, 11:01 AM   #8
REdPanther
Registered Member

Hai Przemek,I've already contact with Tomasz (service) , and finally know what's the problem with my doser wifi. Someone outside my house intentionally change the wifi name and give password to it (it's an open wifi and this doser surely have strong range). I already ask him maybe there's a button inside the casing that I need to push or battery that I need to remove and plug again since the reset button outside can't do it. Still waiting for his reply. Hope it can be fixed. I think you should give another reset button beside what's already there for resetting the wifi cause we'll never know what's happen to me might happen to another user.

Unread 01/28/2019, 03:04 PM   #9
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hi
Everything is clear now - pls check your mail :-) We are writing quick step manual now how to set password/connect Kore 7th to your home network and protect agains similar situations in the future.
Thank you!

Regards

Przemek

Unread 01/28/2019, 06:02 PM   #10
REdPanther
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
Hi
Everything is clear now - pls check your mail :-) We are writing quick step manual now how to set password/connect Kore 7th to your home network and protect agains similar situations in the future.
Thank you!

Regards

Przemek
Thank you przemek for your nice gesture sending me new wifi module. Hope that it will arrive soon. Please give clear detail instruction how to change the module with picture because I'm not a technician. I'm afraid it might go wrong.

Regards

Hendra

Unread 02/04/2019, 07:34 AM   #11
REdPanther
Registered Member

Hello Przemek,

I've just received the new wifi board module this evening. Wow, I'm very surprised, very fast shipping from Poland to Indonesia. Thank you very much for your fast respond to your customer. Could you please give me instruction how to connect the doser to my Reuters? I still can't find it in your website.

Regards

Hendra

Unread 02/06/2019, 11:42 AM   #12
REdPanther
Registered Member

Hi Przemek

Update, just installed my new wifi module, very easy to install. Tomasz/service already gave very clear instruction
After installed the new wifi module, I gave the wifi strong password. Don't want someone change it and I can't access it again.

I also already installed the new firmware and new software Tomasz gave, clean memory and update default.
I think there's a bug in this new version. After connected to the doser and configure all the setting,I found out that I can't save the liquid refill and can't save personalized liquid label name.

When I click refresh all setting, a pop up show and told me this "data transmition error. Try again".
And then I check all my configuration, liquid refill was missing and personalize label also missing.

I still didn't connect my ph probe and solenoid valve to control calcfeeder pro ac4 calcium reactor.

Few question I want to ask :
1. I want to use doser number 1, 2,3 for Kh lab. What setting should I do? switch off doser 1,2,3 in dose settings? Or just keep it on with small dosing?
2. Since I can't use ATO and AWC (port being used by solenoid valve), how to turn off ATO and AWC in software? Maybe you could give me screen shot setting for ATO and AWC off.
3. I want to use doser solenoid to control my calcfeeder pro ac4 calcium reactor, suppose kh testing 4 times daily, minimum Dkh 8,maximum Dkh 9, target Dkh 8.3, reference Dkh 8.3.
What is the difference between target dkh and reference dkh?
Which one should I check, alkalinity testing or alkalinity control?
Or both? If I check calcium reactor control by solenoid and solenoid night auto switch off, should I turn off co2 alarm in calcfeeder pro?
4. In alkalinity calibration, there's reagent calibration, water calibration, and waste water calibration.
In your manual your example for water calibration is 70 ml, waste water calibration 60 ml, reagent calibration 9 ml. Are this the right value we have to pursue? Or just an example?
And what is the use calibrating waste water?

5. This doser also have android software. I also found a bug in synchronize data between doser and Android phone. I couldn't get the right setting for doser number 5,6,7

Thanks

Unread 02/07/2019, 05:50 AM   #13
PacSun Service
Registered Member

Hello

Let me answer on your questions:

Few question I want to ask :
1. I want to use doser number 1, 2,3 for Kh lab. What setting should I do? switch off doser 1,2,3 in dose settings? Or just keep it on with small dosing?
When you will mark Alkalinity testing option pumps 1,2,3 would be disabled and no matter what would be set in dosing settings they would not work.

2. Since I can't use ATO and AWC (port being used by solenoid valve), how to turn off ATO and AWC in software? Maybe you could give me screen shot setting for ATO and AWC off.
You can disable ATO and AWC by uncheck ATO Enable box and AWC Enable Box in application tabs.
3. I want to use doser solenoid to control my calcfeeder pro ac4 calcium reactor, suppose kh testing 4 times daily, minimum Dkh 8,maximum Dkh 9, target Dkh 8.3, reference Dkh 8.3.
Reference KH is used to display calculated value of KH if you would measure by some other test which you used before KH Lab. For example you used Salifert KH test and you het result 8,4 now KH Lab shows You 8,2 so if you will type 8,4 as reference KH you will see results in table and graph from KH LAB test and your refernce results which you would get if you will measure by Salifert.
What is the difference between target dkh and reference dkh?
Which one should I check, alkalinity testing or alkalinity control?
Or both? If I check calcium reactor control by solenoid and solenoid night auto switch off, should I turn off co2 alarm in calcfeeder pro?
Alkalinity testing would only make KH tests and save results, if you will mark also alkalinity control doser would also keep programmed value of target KH in your tank. CO2 alarm should be disabled in calcfeeder controller when you use calcium reactor control by Kore 7th
4. In alkalinity calibration, there's reagent calibration, water calibration, and waste water calibration.
In your manual your example for water calibration is 70 ml, waste water calibration 60 ml, reagent calibration 9 ml. Are this the right value we have to pursue? Or just an example?
And what is the use calibrating waste water?
Values in manual are examples but it's important to get proper values during test after calibration - about 70ml for dosed water and waste water. In instruction manual there is exact procedure how to calibrate dosing pumps.
For reagent calibration measured value must be the same during test as on electronic scale.

5. This doser also have android software. I also found a bug in synchronize data between doser and Android phone. I couldn't get the right setting for doser number 5,6,7
Did You use last available version of application and firmware?

If you would have further questions please send mail directly at service@pacific-sun.eu - it would allow us to answer all your questions faster than here on forum.

Best regards
Pacific Sun Service.

PacSun Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 07:15 AM   #14
REdPanther
Registered Member

Thank you for your answer. Just found out that I set doser 1,2,3 at the same time 00:00. So error message appear because of that.

Unread 02/10/2019, 01:41 PM   #15
REdPanther
Registered Member

Hello all,
I've been communicating with Przemek via email this whole day. More than 30 emails. Asking a lot about my doser and he always been very responsive and helpful. He highly stand by his products. Thank you Przemek for your excellent customer service.

Regards

Unread 02/10/2019, 02:01 PM   #16
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

thank you for that nice feedback :-)
helping our clients, we thank them for their trust and choosing our products.
Have a nice end of weekend! (or Monday morning :-)

Best regards

Przemek

Unread 02/23/2019, 03:57 AM   #17
egareef
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a lot of problems with the application, I get the error that I attached.

I have entered the volume value of the aquarium (I do not know if it is important and / or necessary), but when I press the read button the error appears.

The values of the calibrations are also entered and recorded, but they do not come out either, I suppose it will be because of the error.

I have the latest version of the firmware and the application.

Thanks

egareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2019, 07:27 AM   #18
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hello
After firmware and software update you should set default settings - that version include some improvements(like left reagent calculation) and performing initial setup(default settings) is needed.
So you should:
1. Update firmware - on doser
2. Update software
3. Set default settings (using dedicated button on last tab)
4. Perform calibrations(or simply note values entered before and enter them again)
5. Set all needed paramaters(also aquarium capacity)

PS. Please remember that Reference dKH you can set only AFTER first(automatic or manual) test was performed. Device need to "know" - what was measured, and which new "offset" need to be set (if you comparing results with another results - like drip tests etc)

I can guarantee that everything will work properly ;-)

Regards

Przemek

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Przemek_PacSun; 02/23/2019 at 08:09 AM.
Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2019, 10:55 AM   #19
egareef
Registered Member

Hi,

All that is done.

After updating the firmware I did everything you said. I restored the initial parameters, recalibrated the three dosing devices, calibrated the pH probe.

I filled in the rest of the parameters, volume of the aquarium, etc.

But that error appears to me.

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

Unread 02/23/2019, 11:01 AM   #20
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Hello
Have you set default settings after firmware update using NEW software?
When you press "Refresh All settings" on first tab - it generate this error also?
Please generate your memory backup file(.mbf) on system tab - and send it to me(info[at]pacific-sun.eu ) I will can replicate your device on my own and check.

Regards

Przemek

Unread 02/23/2019, 11:06 AM   #21
egareef
Registered Member

Hello,

1. Yes, I did it after updating the firmware.

2. No, there's no problem there.

3. When I get home I send it.

Thanks for all

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

Unread 02/23/2019, 01:45 PM   #22
egareef
Registered Member

File sent.

Unread 02/24/2019, 03:31 AM   #23
egareef
Registered Member

Hi,

Another appreciation,

When I press the button to take the graph of the KH values, the same date always comes out 12/30/2018.

Regards

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grafico.jpg (63.0 KB, 152 views)
Unread 02/24/2019, 06:49 AM   #24
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Przemek -

The OP (drgorecki) made a comment about this tester and others using "pH" to determine and control alkalinity.

I believe this to be slightly incorrectly described, in that your module actually uses the standard alkalinity determination by acid titration (with a pH electrode to determine the titration's endpoint).

Presuming this is accurate, I've a couple of questions:

What is the actual titration endpoint pH that the unit uses? The "standard" pH endpoint for alkalinity in water samples is pH 4.5, but it could be that you use a slightly different endpoint.

How much aquarium water does the unit use per test? And is the number of tests/day adjustable?

Standard alkalinity determinations typically use 0.1N hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. Obviously, all of us propsective owners would like to buy this from the original manufacturer (i.e., you). However, it doesn't appear that Pacific Sun currently has a US dealer/distributor, and air-shipping hydrochloric and/or sulfuric acid from Europe would be quite expensive, and possibly run afoul of hazardous material shipping regulations. We'd personally love it if you inked a deal with Bulk Reef Supply to sell your equipment and reagents, because their reputation for customer service is unparalleled in the US. But failing that, are you willing to disclose the normality of the strong acid to be used with the unit so that in the US we could buy a standardized 0.1N acid solution to use with the unit?

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2019, 03:22 PM   #25
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post

Standard alkalinity determinations typically use 0.1N hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. Obviously, all of us propsective owners would like to buy this from the original manufacturer (i.e., you). However, it doesn't appear that Pacific Sun currently has a US dealer/distributor, and air-shipping hydrochloric and/or sulfuric acid from Europe would be quite expensive, and possibly run afoul of hazardous material shipping regulations. We'd personally love it if you inked a deal with Bulk Reef Supply to sell your equipment and reagents, because their reputation for customer service is unparalleled in the US. But failing that, are you willing to disclose the normality of the strong acid to be used with the unit so that in the US we could buy a standardized 0.1N acid solution to use with the unit?
I presume that you have advanced chemistry knowledge, so it won't be difficult to find out for you.

If it is HCl (normality will equal molarity):

HCl + H2O -> Cl- + H3O+
-X mol/L HCl -> +X mol/L H3O+
pH = -Log[H3O+] = - Log[X]
If you get a pH of, for example, 1. Then you know you have a 0,1 N solution of HCl. Easy.

Same thing with other acids, for example with H2SO4, normality would be half molarity, but calculation is exactly the same.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote