Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2016, 07:14 PM   #1
ThroThra
Registered Member

Pistol and Coral Banded

I have seen other posts about similar things but it seems those people have normal coral banded shrimp that get quite large.

I have a 29 gal tank with a yellow coral banded shrimp that is about full size at 2 inches (body length) and i was wondering if i could put in a pistol shrimp/goby combo since i rarely see the coral banded shrimp on the substrate, he is usually on the rocks around the tank.

Thoughts?

ThroThra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Kremis
Registered Member

I have heard of coral banded shrimps attacking other shrimps, but I think since it is a pistol shrimp it will be spending most of its time under the sand. I think it would be ok, but im not 100% sure

Kremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 01:18 AM   #3
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

The pistol shrimp will be ok with the CBS but I'm not sure if the CBS will be ok with the pistol. I think it will be ok because I keep 2 camel shrimps with my much larger CBS

SeaCucumberFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Keeping any other shrimp in the same tank as a coral banded shrimp is a gamble. You pay for the shrimp and you take your chances. Some CBS are just fine and never bother others, some will kill ANY other shrimp in the same tank.

I'd buy a cheap shrimp and introduce it to the CBS and see how it reacts.

Unread 08/23/2016, 06:46 AM   #5
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Keeping any other shrimp in the same tank as a coral banded shrimp is a gamble. You pay for the shrimp and you take your chances. Some CBS are just fine and never bother others, some will kill ANY other shrimp in the same tank.

I'd buy a cheap shrimp and introduce it to the CBS and see how it reacts.
Agree, luckily mine is the calm type. Just put in a cheap shrimp like a small peppermint or saron shrimp or whatever.

Unread 08/23/2016, 09:14 AM   #6
ThroThra
Registered Member

he hasnt attacked any hermit crabs yet minus when one gets killed and then he will eat the remains if available....thats gotta be a good sign, right?

ThroThra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 05:39 PM   #7
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

Yep. I think

Unread 08/24/2016, 03:25 AM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I don't think the fact that your CBS doesn't go after hermit crabs means anything. To a CBS, a hermit crab and some other shrimp are two completely different things. The hermit has a good shell for protection and doesn't look anything like the CBS. But another shrimp isn't as well protected and does look similar to a CBS, and therefore is viewed as a competitor.

Unread 08/24/2016, 06:29 AM   #9
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

Interesting. So that's who ate my harlequin

Unread 08/28/2016, 01:57 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I have a pair Stenopus tenuirostris with pistol shrimps and other small shrimp and crabs for nearly two years now and there were never any problems or losses. They never bothered anyone

In my 100 gallon I have a pair Stenopus cyanoscelis with tons of other shrimp and crab - also no issues.

The only thing I noticed is that the Stromatella snails recently disappeared. Though that may be caused by something else as they were previously thriving in the 18" cube with the S. tenuirostris.

I personally think that the small Stenopus species are perfectly safe and peaceful and just totally underrated.

It's the medium (S. hispidus) and larger (S. pyronotus, S. spinosus) ones that may cause some trouble.
Lumping them all together is just silly.

I just scored a pair of true Stenopus zanzibaricus and need to find a place where they are safe. I will probably put them with my Janssi pipefish and Yasha gobies (who life with a pair of Alpheus randalli)

I have now 4 pairs:
2 pairs of Stenopus tenuirostris
1 pair of Stenopus cyanoscelis
1 pair of Stenopus zanzibaricus

They are among my favorite shrimp, I just wished they were less reclusive.

For further info check A Photographic Identification Guide to Stenopus Shrimp

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 03:09 AM   #11
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

I got the regular S. Hispidus but it has not bothered any of the 3x smaller camel shrimp

Unread 08/28/2016, 03:22 AM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My new Indonesian Stenopus zanzibaricus:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stenopus zanzibaricus 1.1c.jpg (78.0 KB, 54 views)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 03:26 AM   #13
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

It sure looks Indonesian... Small eyes, tanned skin, even looks like it's wearing the monday uniform!!

Unread 08/28/2016, 04:41 AM   #14
Mania25
Registered Member

I have a coral banded shrimp with pistol and Goby and he's never bothered then, plus he's quite big at two inch body length. I also have him with a cleaner shrimp and when they come across each other the cleaner shrimp is far too fast to be caught, I've had no problems with him.
Here is a video of my coral banded shrimp at feeding time with Goby and cleaner shrimp near by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mania25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 05:16 AM   #15
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

Wow, that's a nice CBS! How big is he? Also, there's some creepy mantis-like eyes on the top right corner...

Unread 08/28/2016, 07:40 AM   #16
Mania25
Registered Member

He's about the size of a hand with his antennae. He's huge, he doesn't bother any of my corals though, i have feather dusters, tube anemone,bta, and various others plus torch corals. Don't get me wrong though, I seem to be the lucky one as a friend had one who was an absolute nightmare in his tank. He flees chase the fish but they're far too fast for him. I think he's great though. Always on the move and looks amazing.

Unread 08/28/2016, 07:41 AM   #17
Mania25
Registered Member

I think what you're referring to on the top right corner is a toadstall coral? I think that's what you mean?

Unread 08/28/2016, 07:56 AM   #18
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania25 View Post
I think what you're referring to on the top right corner is a toadstall coral? I think that's what you mean?

Around the top sright corner there is a small cave. Inside the small cave is 2 very creepy eyes