Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2007, 01:35 PM   #1
jmoney
Registered Member

Bubble algae outbreak

I have had an outbreak of bubble algae, I use ro/di water, and last week added a phosban reactor rated for a 150 gallon aquarium on my 75, and have yet to see any results. Is there anything else I can do. I purchased 2 emerald mithrix crabs, and they have yet do anything after 1 month. Is there anything else I can do to remedy this problem?

Also I've been keeping my tank at 82 degrees for over a year now is this temperature too high. I used to keep it at 78 but after reading through a few books the suggested temperature was 82. Anythoughts?

jmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2007, 02:26 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd give the reactor more time.

I don't think temperature is the issue, since many reefs, including mine, are run at around 82 F. I didn't see any algal issues when I ramped the temperature up from 78 F, personally.

Unread 06/27/2007, 03:03 PM   #3
webbstock
Registered Member

I would try to manually remove any larger spots of bubble algae, but don't burst the bubbles.

It will take a looooooooooooooooooong time for the lack of Pi to start seriously hurting the current algae. It might wind up being a game of patience. I don't know how correct it is, but I have read that some species of mithhrax crabs are "better" bubble algae eaters than others.

Also some people claim luck with Foxface and sailfin tangs, but i don't know for sure.

webbstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Billybeau1
Registered Member

I personally think 82 is pushing it. I know Jonathan lives in California so it probably can't be helped without owing the electric company his life savings.

I run my tank at 79. Higher temperatures decrease the dissolved oxygen levels and if you do have a power failure, it gives the inhabitants that much less time until power is restored.

Do you test for phosphates and nitrates ?

Billybeau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2007, 11:14 PM   #5
jmoney
Registered Member

im waiting for my kit my last one was unreliable

jmoney is offline   Reply With Quote