Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2012, 06:23 PM   #26
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
Really good thread! I've been using the rule of thirds for years and it's amazing how well it works and the complements I've gotten over the years because of it.
Thanks! I feel like it is one of the main things to consider with any type of art form!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrbelk View Post
Thanks for this awesome info!

Quick question, if you have a really big tank, (my dream tank will be at least 8ft) can you make multiple tic-tac-toe sections?
I will try to go more depth to this in the near future for you. I will have to create some diagrams to explain very long and shallow tanks. You do not always have to apply the rule of thirds to create a successful reef. That is just one main and very easy rule to follow. You can create flow throughout a long tank with your rock work. I am really glad you brought this up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayo2289 View Post
Great info, love bonsai type reefs or offset aquascapes like featured above. If anyone has more examples please expand on this great thread. Great idea VeganBrian.
Thanks!I will be posting more wonderful examples and expanding on this forum for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandia97 View Post
Any tips on aquascping a bowfront tank? It's a bit more difficult to create depth in these! At least for me it is.. I have pretty much one line of rock and of I try to move something back/forward it's too close to the glass. Thanks for this thread!!
DOF can honestly even be an optical illusion. It does not always have to be a very wide tank to get the look. More so its the sizes of the rock that can give you the illusion. One way is to use the curve in the bow front as one of your "lines" in the tanks topview. Have a main rock structure near the back of the tank and taper downwards to the front going big to small almost like stairs. I will consider expanding on this in my next big post.

Veganbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 06:26 PM   #27
Ptyochromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganbrian View Post
I do not know the dimensions of the tank. I can tell you that the rock is not against the glass. The key is to keep the rock away to the point where you can still clean the glass, but also looking like its against the glass. I space it enought for a nanomag to fit back there.

My suggestion to you would be to break that rock in half. The long pieces like taht can be hard to work with. You could then create a nice overhang over the NPS so you can have the dynamic contrast between light source and shadow.
That's actually a rather good idea, it works with my plan for a low light NPS side and a "bright" side. Heavy astinic vs heavy 10k.

Don't misidentify Phyllangia sp. as Aiptasia.

Current Tank Info: skimmerless, sps dominant 29gal+20gal fuge. 100% NNR
Ptyochromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 06:51 PM   #28
dnsfpl
Registered Member

thanks for sharing

Unread 09/27/2012, 06:57 PM   #29
wreck
Registered Member

Very well written, sticky this thread

wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 07:52 PM   #30
laugh
Member of the Registry

Great info and perfect timing. My new tank is ready and I will be picking it up this weekend!

Current Tank Info: All gone
laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 08:59 PM   #31
MadBeach
Moved On

This thread is a keeper. In fact, I'm sending the link to a friend who I know will also appreciate reading this. Thanks!

MadBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 09:34 PM   #32
Revmedia
Registered Member

I agree that this is sticky worthy!

Revmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 09:57 PM   #33
biecacka
Registered Member

Glad I found this thread as I'm getting ready to re do my scape in my 220.....
Any tips on my tank. It's 72 long, 30 tall and 24 deep
Widh me luck

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 10:19 PM   #34
ReeferBatman
Registered Member

Rule of Thirds here... all the way back to photography class

I really enjoy this tank pictured... it create's a depth of field that infers more...

I may try to do something like this when I upgrade my 55g - 75/90 g in the next 2-3 months...

And I enjoyed the part about keeping the glass free of algae corraline and all... makes for a deeper background...

ReeferBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2012, 11:37 PM   #35
Veganbrian
Registered Member

So In less than a day I have had had multiple requests from this, and a couple other reefing sites to go into aquascaping certain shaped tanks and how to construct rock formations. I’m going to do my best to go a little bit further into this subject. I will use diagrams i created and pictures from my personal tank build that i am working on right now.

The First thing to consider is something i did not mention. That is Flow. I do not mean flow (GPH) i mean flow artistically. Does it follow the correct lines that flow within the tank itself. Just because you have a square tank does not mean theres no curvy lines to follow. I will start off with a few examples of how flow works.

If you notice flow is everywhere and can easily be created out of any shape. You want to follow these basic lines (top view) and that is another way to figure out rock placement. These lines can be changed any way you please as long as your still using the same basic concepts and flow. You can have the flow even start in the middle with the bigger rock, going towards the sides of the tank to the little rocks. its infinite. FLOW FLOW FLOW. Cannot stress that enough. Looking at your scape from the top will help a lot to the overall look in the front view.

Next thing i will discuss is How to create unique structures with plain rock. First you need a chisel, hammer, and maybe a saw even. each tool provides a different cut and shape. Using the chisel helps you be more precise and accurate when you hit it with a hammer. When you use just a hammer you’re just smashing that rock and its a gamble how it will form in the end. And a saw allows you to keep the form of the rock and create a perfectly flat surface on the bottom helping the rock not be all jagged on when your trying to make it have a certain look (ex. a lean in the rock). Using plastic coat hangers, egg crate, aquarium safe epoxy, and superglue will be needed in the end to “finalize” your new scape.

So you have your boring globs of rock. For me, thinking, and pulling up reference Is the first step. Look at your rock, then look at one of the tanks that inspire you. Try to mimic, but not copy a certain part of their rock work. Make it your own though. Start breaking out the tools and create those pieces. You use all sorts of shapes and size rocks to create a structure that looks like one. Try and utalize as much of your rock as possible. You can even stick the little pieces over the epoxy to hide it. Remember to make the formation look as organic and real as possible.

Unread 09/27/2012, 11:39 PM   #36
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Like i mentioned before, if you create a formation that you’re not sure about but want to try others, TAKE PICTURES! you would be surprised how easy it is to forget what that one you liked originally looked like after a few hours of trying to make it the best you can. Just like in art class, make sure to step back and take a good look at it from a distance. It really does help a lot. Also, look at the top view and even the sides. Overhangs create shadows and so does leaning certain rocks. Take that into account to create dynamic contrast within the structure once its lit. Take pictures of your final decided rock work in case you knock it over while you epoxy it together. I either drill the plastic rod into the rocks for extra support or epoxy them well hidden behind the rock work and onto the egg crate. You will never have to worry about hitting it and knocking it over while doing tank maintenance.
Another thing to remember is the use of sand and how it is going to affect you caves and ledges you created. Make your smallest rocks in the foreground big enough that your sand will not completely cover them and ruin the downward effect.

I hope this helps you further understand the Trick to aquascaping!

Unread 09/28/2012, 01:40 AM   #37
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Hi Veganbrian,
Very useful info... Thanks a lot for the pointers and sharing this
I just finished my scape...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...022954&page=36

Could you please take a look and give me some suggestions? I will be very grateful.

Thanks.

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 05:40 AM   #38
Dino
Freak of Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2gats View Post
To the OP - GREAT thread. I really think this should be stickied, as people ask about this topic all the time it seems.
I've thought about it but the somewhat ironic thing is (often) stickying a thread kills it. For good threads like this one its almost always better to just leave it unstickied and let the community keep it on the first page rather than sticky it where it seems most people don't look or read .

I will love and miss you until the last beat of my heart Harley & Rusty.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 07:31 AM   #39
DustyReefer
Registered Member

Very helpful, especially since im setting up a new tank.

DustyReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 08:16 AM   #40
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeach View Post
This thread is a keeper. In fact, I'm sending the link to a friend who I know will also appreciate reading this. Thanks!
Thanks for forwarding this link to me. This thread has opened my eyes and I don't feel as afraid to aquascape my tank. Now I don't have to ask someone else or better yet pay someone else to do it for me. Thanks C.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 08:47 AM   #41
chunk78
Registered Member

Thanks for the post, Great article

chunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 09:22 AM   #42
knight2255
Registered Member

Quote:

Like i mentioned before, if you create a formation that you’re not sure about but want to try others, TAKE PICTURES!
Just wanted to add that to get good shots of your newly made aquascapes/reefs, to get the ProHDR app for your iphone/android...... you'll be amazed how much better your pictures will be. Especially with the weird lighting on our tanks. I get better photos with that app than I can with my expensive camera. The HDR takes two pictures at two different exposure levels and combines them. Then you can tweak the tint, saturation, contrast and brightness to make the photo a lot closer to what we actually see with our eyes.

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 12:17 PM   #43
swcc
Moved On

Just wanted to add, do not be afraid to run much less rock than is often recommended..the ole 1-2lbs per gallon holds no real weight (LOL). so go for your dream aquascape...if it comes out you got 60 lbs of rock in your 120 don't fret it will be plenty enough. This is a great thread, hopefully threads like this will open more people up to creating open, beautiful aquascapes instead of a ton of rock loading down the aquarium.

swcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 04:42 PM   #44
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Noob View Post
Hi Veganbrian,
Very useful info... Thanks a lot for the pointers and sharing this
I just finished my scape...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...022954&page=36

Could you please take a look and give me some suggestions? I will be very grateful.

Thanks.
You have shown a very fine example of how you can place a formation in the middle and still use the rule of thirds on the rest of the tank. Looks great I'm not sure how far back the structure goes, but you could add more rock behind it for more sense of depth if theres room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I've thought about it but the somewhat ironic thing is (often) stickying a thread kills it. For good threads like this one its almost always better to just leave it unstickied and let the community keep it on the first page rather than sticky it where it seems most people don't look or read .

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcc View Post
Just wanted to add, do not be afraid to run much less rock than is often recommended..the ole 1-2lbs per gallon holds no real weight (LOL). so go for your dream aquascape...if it comes out you got 60 lbs of rock in your 120 don't fret it will be plenty enough. This is a great thread, hopefully threads like this will open more people up to creating open, beautiful aquascapes instead of a ton of rock loading down the aquarium.
^^ agreed. You can always throw the remaining bit in the sump/fuge if you are nervous about less rock.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. glad you enjoyed the read!

Unread 09/30/2012, 02:26 PM   #45
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
You have shown a very fine example of how you can place a formation in the middle and still use the rule of thirds on the rest of the tank. Looks great I'm not sure how far back the structure goes, but you could add more rock behind it for more sense of depth if theres room.
Thanks so much for viewing my thread and for the kind words of compliment and encouragement.
Aesthetics and natural is what I am trying to aim for in my new setup. Your advice has helped me and gave me a new perspective. Thanks
I am grateful for the advice on my scape. I will try to work on DOF with some rock I have available...maybe a small bommie towards the right back side between the middle and right columns?

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 03:01 PM   #46
swcc
Moved On

one more thing... I'm hoping veganbrian is not suggesting putting eggcrate in the substrate... reality is that is a horrible idea... If you use egg crate you now have a massive dietritus trap setup.. the corners or the crate stop flow and collect detritus... do not us egg crate under your rock work.

swcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 05:58 PM   #47
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Yes, do NOT use eggcrate under rock!

Unread 10/01/2012, 04:52 PM   #48
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

I am currently planning a build and I am thinking I will need to use some technique like using rods and epoxy or maybe PVC to support my rock structure. Please post any info or links to info on this topic if you know of any. Thanks!

Patrick Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 06:45 PM   #49
MadBeach
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
I am currently planning a build and I am thinking I will need to use some technique like using rods and epoxy or maybe PVC to support my rock structure. Please post any info or links to info on this topic if you know of any. Thanks!
One stand out that comes to mind is Reef Smac's TOTM setup. He has lots of examples where he used rods, polygem reef safe epoxy, PVC and more. Of course there are others but I think you will like it. You can his build info at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1798674

MadBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 06:49 PM   #50
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeach View Post
One stand out that comes to mind is Reef Smac's TOTM setup. He has lots of examples where he used rods, polygem reef safe epoxy, PVC and more. Of course there are others but I think you will like it. You can his build info at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1798674
Thanks! Will check it out!

Patrick Cox is offline   Reply With Quote