Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2009, 08:58 AM   #226
HOC
Premium Member

Mine completely stopped and recovered now. I honestly can't say if it was from the treatment though. I discovered the Reefers Best salt I was using dropped my tank to 300 Calcium and 1000 Magnesium. I treated the tank and raised the elements at the same time.

Current Tank Info: Elos 160
HOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2009, 12:02 PM   #227
SeaIsle
Registered Member

Wow I am glad that I found this thread. I am seeing the same signs of recession on my chalices. I thought water quality when I lost my first chalice within two days of adding and after 3 weeks of closely monitoring water quality and increasing mg to the 1400 range I added 2 chalices yesterday and have begun to notice the recession. I am heading out today to pickup some Interceptor and will do a dip as I only have 2 affected pieces. I will revert back with my findings.

SeaIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 10:34 PM   #228
TandN
Registered Member.

I lost a small acan colony and now my tyree watermelon the skin is falling off just melting away. Anyone try a 5g bucket w/ a HIGH dosage of interceptor for a few hours ?

TandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 11:07 PM   #229
roblack
Registered Member

Should work fine. Put a little powerhead in there so the Interceptor dust or pieces don't settle on the coral. Watch the coral. I have dipped new corals with Interceptor as a preventative measure, and when the dosage is "HIGH" they can stress a bit and start to excrete a lot of slime. Don't overdo it too much, but for the most part Interceptor is pretty kind to corals IME. They even seem to like it, maybe it is the beef flavoring they put in the pills, who knows?

roblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 04:09 PM   #230
ReefMonger
Registered Member

All of my chalices melted away, but that because my heater exploded and wiped everything out

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal
ReefMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2009, 10:45 AM   #231
murfman
Registered Member

So no one has ever verified the "black bugs" with the use of a microscope yet?

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 01:42 AM   #232
justin_freebord
Registered Member

im going to try and get some interceptor tomorrow. Im an 18 year old college student and im going to a vet in a college town so knowing my life they will probably think im going to try and get high or soemthing...i noticed recession on my micro about 2 weeks after i got it. I plan to dip it in some interceptor in a small container for about an hour or two. If it doesnt help then i am going to go out and buy mg, alk, and ca test kits and im assuming my parameters will be off although my duncan and frogspawn seem to be fine and the duncan is even regrowing lost flesh from poor care at the lfs

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon, ac20 fuge, 2x koralia nano 70 wat diy halide 20k ushio. Tank set up oct 08 currently houses several zoas, duncan, micromussa, grape watermellon chalice, 3 sexy shrimp, green clowngoby, xenia, tubbs birdnest, cali tort, yahia haze
justin_freebord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 10:26 AM   #233
roblack
Registered Member

Why would the vet think you were going to get high on Interceptor? LOL! College students in the Bay area shouldn't have any trouble with that. I'm not sure why they are so stringent with the bug killing pills, but there should be more and more reef friendly vets popping up around the country. Seems like they are missing out on a big market otherwise.

Unread 02/01/2009, 10:36 AM   #234
kwpgrooming
Registered Member

I have been having some problems with my acans & chalices. My concern with treating my entire tank with Interceptor is how it will affect my cleaner & blood shimp. What about urchins? I don't want to make them sick or kill them.

kwpgrooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 11:04 AM   #235
murfman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roblack
Why would the vet think you were going to get high on Interceptor? LOL! College students in the Bay area shouldn't have any trouble with that. I'm not sure why they are so stringent with the bug killing pills, but there should be more and more reef friendly vets popping up around the country. Seems like they are missing out on a big market otherwise.
The issues isn't you getting high on it, if you treat a dog that has a heartworm infestation, you will kill the dog. They have to be checked before they can take the medicine.

Unread 02/01/2009, 02:22 PM   #236
justin_freebord
Registered Member

i was just kidding about the getting high, i just dont understand why if i say im using it in my fishtank they cant give me it. Im sure theres a ton of reasons i cant think of because they are very unlikely for me to do but meh. I called and they said no. Ill call the others tomorrow.

my plan of attack : i have a saltwater aquarium, one coral is dying. I think it has bugs. Interceptor kills bug. Many people have used interceptor to kill said bugs in different tanks. Please give me interceptor. Thanks : D

haha well see how that goes

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon, ac20 fuge, 2x koralia nano 70 wat diy halide 20k ushio. Tank set up oct 08 currently houses several zoas, duncan, micromussa, grape watermellon chalice, 3 sexy shrimp, green clowngoby, xenia, tubbs birdnest, cali tort, yahia haze
Unread 02/01/2009, 03:17 PM   #237
roblack
Registered Member

Borrow a stray, feed it, get Interceptor, feed it again and go separate ways. Everyone wins! The Strays For Reefs Initiative.

Last edited by roblack; 02/01/2009 at 03:24 PM.
Unread 02/01/2009, 03:27 PM   #238
justin_freebord
Registered Member

too much effort....not only am i a poor college student, im also a lazy one heh

Unread 02/01/2009, 09:04 PM   #239
Mixedreefer
Moved On

I don't know if lazy and this hobby go together??

Mixedreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 09:33 PM   #240
justin_freebord
Registered Member

i meant it as thats too much effort to find a stray for some pills...especially when i dont know if it will even help. Trust me im not lazy when it come to my tank and my girlfriend lets me hear it often

Unread 02/02/2009, 10:34 AM   #241
murfman
Registered Member

Print out the research on Red Bug eradication and take it to the vet. Show them it is legit. If that doesn't work, move on to the next vet.

Unread 06/08/2009, 10:45 PM   #242
Mini_GBR
Registered Member

quick question. Will the pod population come back, or will i need to introduce a few after the treatment later to get a population going. Also, will my snails be ok, or should I pull those guys too? Thanks,

-Mike

Current Tank Info: A 30,000 gallon aquaponic farm. But looking to get back into the reefing hobby with a 60g anemone only tank
Mini_GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2009, 11:11 PM   #243
Znut Reefer
Premium Member

The pods will come back. Snails will be fine, it kills pods and crabs, red bugs.

Znut Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2009, 10:13 PM   #244
Mini_GBR
Registered Member

soooo... I'm 8 hours into my treatment (3.5x the red bug treatment) and I have found the black bugs that people have mentioned within the living (clearer) flesh near where the skeleton and the flesh start, and they are still moving around. Should I let this sit over night and re-evaluate in the morning, or do a 30% WC now, and do another treatment in a week or so.

Current Tank Info: A 30,000 gallon aquaponic farm. But looking to get back into the reefing hobby with a 60g anemone only tank
Mini_GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 08:11 AM   #245
SaraB
Coral Killer

I've done Interceptor treatments with the water change and without doing one. It's really your call, but when I treated all my LPS I didn't do the water changes right away ... just my normal weekly ones a few days later.

Unread 06/11/2009, 11:47 PM   #246
Bamm Bamm
Saltwater Guru

Arghhh I think I have a few chalices showing signs of this as well. I need to test my water.

Current Tank Info: 60g cube
Bamm Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 08:46 AM   #247
JOSE CASAS
Registered Member

So how many people ahve treated and had good luck? I know I have and others with no luck. I have yet to figure out what is going on but think it has something to do with temp.

JOSE CASAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2009, 09:51 PM   #248
amore169
Registered Member

BUMP

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.
amore169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2009, 04:37 AM   #249
SaraB
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by JOSE CASAS
So how many people ahve treated and had good luck? I know I have and others with no luck. I have yet to figure out what is going on but think it has something to do with temp.
I've treated 3 separate times with luck myself. I just have to quit buying stuff that's bringing it in is all. Just like redbugs, one dip before adding does not kill eggs and you still can get them from a re-hatch!

Unread 07/23/2009, 01:45 PM   #250
Momof2
Registered Member

Okay, I've had this same problem. I bought a chalice off a guy, and within a day of putting it in my tank, it had melted away with the white 'strings'. I fragged it back to almost nothing and quarantined it, but it looks like the damage is done and I have nasties in my system. I'm sold on the Interceptor after reading this thread, but I live in Las Vegas, where they're super strict on drugs because of the idiots on the street. I can't seem to get either of my vets--even the one for my reef-- to approve the prescription. Could someone point me to the canadian websites that don't need the script?

Thanks!

Momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote