Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Does Radionīs fans stay on 24/7?

Hello,
Iīve noticed that the fans of my G4 Radions stay on even at night when the lights are off. and the 3 buttons on top of them as well. Is this normal?
If I unplug them at night is it ok?
Iīm planning to connecting them to one outlet of my APEX to turn them on 15 mins before lights go on and 30 mins after lights go off to let internals cool off before cutting power on them.
Regards
Marco

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Leopardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 08:39 AM   #2
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardshark View Post
Hello,
Iīve noticed that the fans of my G4 Radions stay on even at night when the lights are off. and the 3 buttons on top of them as well. Is this normal?
If I unplug them at night is it ok?
Iīm planning to connecting them to one outlet of my APEX to turn them on 15 mins before lights go on and 30 mins after lights go off to let internals cool off before cutting power on them.
Regards
Marco

Yes it is normal for the fans to stay on and the buttons as well.

I would not ( and don't) cut the power to them at night.

Unread 09/18/2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post

I would not ( and don't) cut the power to them at night.
Why?

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Unread 09/18/2017, 11:47 AM   #4
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardshark View Post
Why?
That's a question Ecotech has to answer.

Unread 09/21/2017, 10:04 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

It's kind of annoying actually that the fans stay on 24/7. Doesn't seem like it ought to be necessary, but ETM would have to answer.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:50 PM   #6
slap
Registered Member

the fans are really annoying loud. especially if you have more than one G4 pro lamp. come ecotech, change this by firmware update!

Unread 09/27/2017, 08:52 PM   #7
jccaclimber
Registered Member

I read elsewhere that it is to prevent internal condensation/electrical damage. The recommended solution was to put the lights on a timer/controller/whatever that cuts power whenever you want the fans off.

Honestly it isn't a terrible idea if condensation failures are a notable warranty issue, but I know what you mean about fan noise.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 09:41 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Not sure how water would condense inside these units. They're unlikely to be colder than the surrounding air.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 09/27/2017, 09:55 PM   #9
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Agreed, but they don't need to be. If they are the same temperature as the surrounding air, but the tank is warmer there is still a risk. I doubt they made the change without cause, especially as it probably doesn't help fan life.

Unread 09/28/2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
especially as it probably doesn't help fan life.
and it increases needless power consumption.
I think there is a reason but I donīt find the logic (apart of the condensation, which would make some logic to me).
But if the room they are installed in is not very very humid, I see no sense in keeping them on all night.

Unread 09/30/2017, 05:38 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
Agreed, but they don't need to be. If they are the same temperature as the surrounding air, but the tank is warmer there is still a risk. I doubt they made the change without cause, especially as it probably doesn't help fan life.
Doesn't really make sense to me, though your last point is a good one.

Unread 10/01/2017, 02:59 AM   #12
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Think of it like steam rising from a pot on the stove and condensing on the bottom of a microwave.
I do wonder about the mechanism sometimes though. My freshwater tanks have lids and operate in a dry room, but sheets of paper that I leave on top of them do look like they got wet over long (months) timeframes. Personally I'll bet salt creep from splashes is a greater concern.

Unread 10/03/2017, 10:01 PM   #13
ps2cho
Registered Member

My XR15w' G4 Pro's fan only turns on when its running at 100%, otherwise 60% or less, it barely comes on at all.

ps2cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 11:16 AM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I just bought a 15 and noted that the fan wasn't running. Turns out that the 15 fan only comes on as needed versus the 30 which runs all the time. Curious.

Unread 10/29/2017, 08:54 AM   #15
pecan2phat
Registered Member

This is why I changed all my XR30s to XR15s, could not stand the fan noise at night!

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote