Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2017, 07:14 AM   #51
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetSPS View Post
I'm sure many people are thinking of way to detect their collection can overflow and after that they are thinking about the way to detect the failure of the system they built to detect their overflow collection can.....
Aka: Failsafes.

Smart people use failsafes.

That's my .02

Unread 05/20/2017, 09:25 PM   #52
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

You guys know the felling of emptying a full, dark cup of skimmate. It just warms the reefer's heart. With that in mind, I do check my setup several times a day. (I'm a bit of a fanatic, I know.) I sometimes don't empty it and want to see it get full. Then next thing I know, something's happened and the skimmer went nuts and overflowed into the sump. That nice dark skimmate is now watered down, with most of the organics being put back into the water. This then breaks the heart of a reefer.

That's why I will likely put a float switch in my collection cup....just so I don't lose good skimate and wash it back into the water. It will be pretty easy to set up with Apex and the Breakout box.

BlueRoofTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 07:18 AM   #53
jkapit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzIA View Post
I have float switches on two of mine. I just drilled a hole through a small piece of acrylic and attached it directly to the lid. Then used a coaxial power connector for a quick disconnect to the Apex.
I used a similar design, made it quickly detachable so I could unplug the wire from the controller and remove the switch from the lid.

Having a failsafe like this I think is worthwhile especially if you have an external skimmer. With my skimmer design, the skimmer would overflow back into the tank but creates sort of a mess which I now can avoid, especially when I am away on business or vacation.

jkapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 07:34 AM   #54
Thomas P
Registered Member

How do you make the float switch easily detachable? You're not disconnecting the float switch from the breakout box every time you remove the collection cup and lid away from the sump to clean it, are you?

Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 07:12 PM   #55
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post
How do you make the float switch easily detachable? You're not disconnecting the float switch from the breakout box every time you remove the collection cup and lid away from the sump to clean it, are you?
When I had mine, I just put a plug inline to the controller.
2-Position Female Interlocking Connector and 2-Position Male Interlocking Connector

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 07:56 AM   #56
Thomas P
Registered Member

Ah! Of course. Thanks

Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote