Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2017, 08:11 AM   #1
gman107
Registered Member

Holes in tank

I have a 90 gallon tank and I want to have more room in tank so I removed the corner overflows and will replace with eshopps eclipse m so I won't need the drilled holes on bottom. What is the best way to seal those holes on the bottom of tank ?? Silicone glass on inside or plug bulkheads ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gman107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Oceanavekid
Registered Member

See this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2650910

Oceanavekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 10:49 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Glass patch in more reliable .... but also more permanent.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 08:17 AM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Glass patch in more reliable .... but also more permanent.

^^^This^^^

I would patch it with glass of equal thickness. Although you could plug the bulkhead easily enough, I would worry that it might get bumped. Easier (and much less visible) to just slap a patch on it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 04:48 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Short answer, IMHO either way works just fine.

I've patched holes both ways and I'd be more inclined to plug the bulkheads. The stand already has holes where the bulkheads fit thru, so no savings there. And when the tank is full of water, it's not like it's going to get bumped and have the tank move. However, in the future you might consider adding something to the tank and utilize one of the bulkheads. I used one to feed my skimmer by gravity directly from the tank and just added a vertical pipe inside the tank to protect from draining the tank. The pvc pipe disappeared into the background with coraline in no time.