Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Fiver
Registered Member

Is making saltwater bad for the environment?

First, I admit that I know nothing about city water treatment systems and am no chemistry expert, but this article on MPR, https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/1...ater-pollution, about how road salt is bad for water made me wonder if our creation of saltwater for home aquariums contributes to the problem.

One line in the article says: "Once salt is in a body of water, it's nearly impossible to remove."

My city's water treatment web site says: "Dissolved salts and minerals are small enough to remain in the water after ultrafiltration."

So, am I adding more salt/minerals to our freshwater supply each time I do a water change and dump water down the drain?

Thoughts? Links to helpful articles/research?

Thanks.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 07:56 AM   #2
Rover88
Registered Member

Don't worry my dude.

The amount of salt we add to our water to make saltwater as aquarists, compared to the amount of road salt dumped on roads, is miniscule.

You are the proverbial drop of water in a bucket of concerns.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

More like a drop of water in a train full of tankers.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:35 AM   #4
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Agreed - negligable

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Rover88
Registered Member

Its worth noting for funzies that the article states that saltwater is toxic to fish. Or I should say, the chloride found in saltwater is. Clearly talking about levels of concentration well and above any that we reach!

Unread 12/12/2017, 10:38 AM   #6
fijisrfr
Registered Member

The sky is falling!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Overall, even for salt dumping to the road, the impact depend on the hydrological properties of the region. What they stated is true for Minnesota where there are many small lakes without a significant outlet drainage. So salt that enters to those systems will remain there.

But there are few places in the US that is hydrologically as "closed" as Minnesota. Most regions have a major drainage; either a main river or a smaller river that connects to a main river, or they are simply too close to the ocean and rainwater is enough to drain minerals back to the ocean.

Imo agricultural runoff is far more damaging to the environment anywhere within the nation compared to the road salt.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 09:11 AM   #8
sde1500
Registered Member

Ha, man, read this and for a slight moment wondered how bad I was messing with my ground water for my well by dumping used saltwater outside or into my septic. Then realized the major road that is closer to my well than my septic definitely has waaaaay more salt dumped on it every winter.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 05:34 AM   #9
lapin
Registered Member

Depends on how you look at things. Are roads a good thing or a bad thing? Our ecosystem, the earth has a way of keeping things in check. Fires remove brush and trees allowing for more new growth. Floods move soil around allowing for more nutrients to be exposed. Has gone on for millions of years. We are part of that system. A vast majority of people feel building more cites and roads ect.. is great. More jobs, more places to live ect...Moving resources here and there, oil, asphalt, iron... At a certain point this becomes problematic unless you have unlimited resources. Just like the colony of fruit flies in a jar. Once the population out grows the food/water source or air supply, disaster happens, you have a mass die off. Humans have been on the earth for a very short time. When our time is up the earth will go on. The salt will move back to its rightful place . The earth will see to that.

why an i up at 4 am anyway

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 11:07 AM   #10
Therinx
Registered Member

Doesn't salt get removed when water evaporates (for the most part)?

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therinx View Post
Doesn't salt get removed when water evaporates (for the most part)?
The contrary.

The salt remains, and the water disappears. This is why you need an auto-top off, or you need to manually refill your tanks. Otherwise the salinity goes up and BAD things happen!

... This is also why after a winter, there is all that white grime caked on the roads. Salt that remained behind once the water/snow melted/evaporated.

Evaporation is relatively pure H20.

Unread 12/15/2017, 10:05 AM   #12
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Most treatment plants are close to rivers and water ways so they can dump the "cleaned" water. All rivers lead to the ocean eventually anyway

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Fiver
Registered Member

I'm late to respond, but thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. Appreciate your thoughts.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote