Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2017, 07:59 AM   #1
hipertec
Registered Member

Evo 13.5 tank Green Hair algae outbreak

I have a major issue with green hair algae in my Evo 13.5 G tank. Tried taking as much out but they keep on coming back.

Any suggestions? Can't put a particular fish in the tank since the tank is pretty small. Any clean up crew tgat would eat this up or?

hipertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 08:10 AM   #2
rusty idaho
Registered Member

what type of lighting do you run? i had the same thing 2 years ago. I dropped my light output to 4 hours a day and it helped. then found out my t5 bulbs were putting out wrong spectrum/wavelength of light. changed bulbs, did a FULL cleaning of the tank (did cause a cycle but i was ready for that) and it hasnt came back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rusty idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 08:18 AM   #3
hipertec
Registered Member

I'm running the stock led lights. I did add two strips of blue leds rated at 460nm - 463nm and 14W both strips.
My stock blue/white led runs 9hrs and the blue led bars run 1hr before and 1hr after the stock lights turn on/off.

Unread 09/30/2017, 09:54 AM   #4
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Have you tried lowering you phosphate to almost zero and up your WCs? You have to starve out the algae and maintain the tank that way.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Melfy77
Registered Member

Are you running the stock filter media? If so, that sponge could be a nitrate factory

Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 04:40 PM   #6
static916
Registered Member

I've had no GHA on mine, I do have a nasty slime issue though. I sometimes add GFO to a little carbon bag I place in the chamber after the skimmer. I check phosphate with the Hanna checker and it always reads at or close to zero.

Are you using RODI water? In a previous tank I used to have alge issues all the time until I started using RODI water.

I also have a macro algae in the display that I like to out compete the ugly algae.

static916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

I would look into either a GFO reactor or dosing NOPOX by Red Sea. I am going to start doing 1ml of NOPOX in my 18 gallon. I am fighting nitrates and phosphates at the moment and my tank looks rough. I moved my tank 2 times over the past couple of months and I caused a tank crash. I am trying to get it back in control.

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 11:27 AM   #8
sleepingdeep
Registered Member

how often are you doing water changes. are you buying RODI or making it yourself? Where did you get your rock? its possible it could be leaching phosphates into your tank. most CUC wont eat it unless its short, so you could try some scarlet hermits, or if you want a fish that'll eat algae, you could try a Tailspot blenny. mine picks at my rocks all day. it probably wouldn't make a huge difference though.

sleepingdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 04:59 AM   #9
emilese
Registered Member

All very good suggestions that have been previously posted. Usually, it's not a one cure method but, a combination of several.

1. Removing as much of the algae manually. Blowing, pulling it off rocks, etc.
2. Using RODI water. This is SO important.
3. Controlling phosphate and nutrient export. This includes using a protein skimmer. Take a look at how much your feeding the tank as well. Overfeeding can cause outbreaks
4. As someone mentioned, take a look at your lighting. Maybe reduce your lighting periods. If you can reduce certain spectrums (like red), that can help.
5. Out competing the algae with other macro algae. A refugium is great for this. Also, a good cuc crew with can help control algae.
6. There are some media and chemical solutions that others have tried with varying degrees of success. I have heard of success with Seachem's PhosGuard and GFO

Just some ideas

emilese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:15 PM   #10
NDagel
Registered Member

After initial setup and cycling of my tank I inadvertently introduced Bryopsis into my tank from the LFS. I used the Fluconazole treatment to get rid of it and it worked amazing, I also found that during the treatment the Fluconazole did a great job of removing the GHA that started showing up in my tank. That was 6 months ago and I haven't had a problem since (as far as Bryopsis or GHA are concerned or any other types of nuisance algae). Here is great read for the Fluconazole, you might try that. https://www.*********.com/threads/br...nazole.285096/

NDagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:20 PM   #11
NDagel
Registered Member

I guess my link didn't work, google Bryopsis and fluconazole, there is a great read on the reef 2 reef forum.

NDagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 12:24 PM   #12
hipertec
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Still battling the Green Hair Algae.
Things Im doing:
Water change- 1 gallon per 1-2 weeks
removing as much GHA when I change the water
Added Chemipure
Have a small Chaeto refugium
reduced lighting to 5 hours a day
have the PS2 skimmer running
Using RO water for topoff. No DI but its reading 8ppm so I hope this is OK

Ive added turbo snails and hermit crabs but they are not surviving much. Only a few hermits are alive.

Maybe I need to be on the spot about changing 1 gallon very week. (currently have about 9 gallon of water in the water due to the rocks and sand volume.

Unread 12/09/2017, 08:09 AM   #13
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

I'm guessing you still have high phosphate. I use gfo and phosphate adsorbing filter pad to keep my phosphate in check. I used to have hair algae but slowly over a 6 months time it's gone. I would increase your wc amount also to export out as much nutrients as possible. I have a Fluval 5 gallon reef and I do 75% WC every 2 weeks, that's a full 5 gallon new water going in every 2 weeks.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 02:53 PM   #14
NS Mike D
Registered Member

i don't like messing with water chemistry without know where the tank is first. it's like driving directions, the first question to get to a destination is "where are you?"

what are your parameters, especially NO3 & PO4? was 8ppm PO4? if yes, that is way too high. 0.02 - 0.10 is a decent range. 0.25 - 2.0 for NO3. Is 8ppm your TDS? RO will clean 90% of the bad stuff, but that still leaves 10% and if that includes PO4, then that could be the culprit (residual phosphates in your tap water than isn't removed from the RO membrane). you may be adding it back in with your water changes.

what's in your tank (live stock)

if you have fish, what, how much and how often do you feed.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote