Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2019, 10:32 AM   #1
P593gat
Registered Member

Help; light choice..

hi guys i need your help. I have a 120x55x55 (cm) reef with a 35-40 cm wide rocky structure. I raise only acropore and a few lps. what would be the best lighting for my reef. I want to have a light that allows me to have amazing colors in the acropora.

P593gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 04:31 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Metal Halide or T5 fixtures.

Unread 05/20/2019, 06:04 AM   #3
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Or LED or a hybrid approach. Seriously though, Metal Halide and T5 are probably the easiest for success but have inherent limitations in terms of control (which may be part of the success).

If you break LEDs down into 'puck style' and 'bank style', with puck style being clusters of LEDs in close proximity arranged in one or more pucks, and 'bank style' being more evenly spaced LEDs across the entire fixture, puck style has a color blending advantage and light intensity uniformity disadvantage, while bank style should have more light intensity uniformity but less good color blending.

For ease of 'plug and play', a 6 or 8 bulb T5 is hard to beat. Personally, I'd probably take a hybrid approach with a combination of T5 and LED. If going all 'puck style' LEDs, plan to buy more fixtures than the manufacturer says you need, particularly for acropora to achieve good light uniformity and borrow/rent/buy a par meter if you can, it will remove much of the guess work about intensity.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 03:05 PM   #4
P593gat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
Or LED or a hybrid approach. Seriously though, Metal Halide and T5 are probably the easiest for success but have inherent limitations in terms of control (which may be part of the success).

If you break LEDs down into 'puck style' and 'bank style', with puck style being clusters of LEDs in close proximity arranged in one or more pucks, and 'bank style' being more evenly spaced LEDs across the entire fixture, puck style has a color blending advantage and light intensity uniformity disadvantage, while bank style should have more light intensity uniformity but less good color blending.

For ease of 'plug and play', a 6 or 8 bulb T5 is hard to beat. Personally, I'd probably take a hybrid approach with a combination of T5 and LED. If going all 'puck style' LEDs, plan to buy more fixtures than the manufacturer says you need, particularly for acropora to achieve good light uniformity and borrow/rent/buy a par meter if you can, it will remove much of the guess work about intensity.

Matt

I thank you for the answer .. yes I would like to make a hybrid solution t5 + led .. you in my place what would you mount as a hybrid? can you give examples using commercial products?

Unread 05/20/2019, 04:24 PM   #5
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

T5's/LED combination seems to bring the best results from all the reading I've done.

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 08:16 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I will argue all day that if you want "Amazing Colors" in Acropora that MH is the only way to go..

Unread 05/21/2019, 10:04 AM   #7
P593gat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I will argue all day that if you want "Amazing Colors" in Acropora that MH is the only way to go..

I know they are top lights ... but I can't mount MH ... too much heat ... I would like to have advice on t5 or led to be used together

Unread 05/21/2019, 11:58 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P593gat View Post
I know they are top lights ... but I can't mount MH ... too much heat ... I would like to have advice on t5 or led to be used together
Well then... Hard to beat a t5 setup..
TONS of bulb choices (mostly dictated by personal preference)... Some run very blue tanks.. Others like better "color rendition",etc... there isn't much proof that one end of the spectrum is better than the other for the most part..
There are numerous posts about peoples bulb combination choices.. Plenty of youtube videos showing examples of each bulb/combo,etc...

The ATI brand is typically regarded as "popular/high quality,etc..."

Some just add in some simple blue LED strips on each side to help increase that "trippy/glowing" look from corals fluorescing.

Unread 05/21/2019, 01:36 PM   #9
fijisrfr
Registered Member

Quote:
I thank you for the answer .. yes I would like to make a hybrid solution t5 + led .. you in my place what would you mount as a hybrid? can you give examples using commercial products?

Aquatic life hybrid, my corals are growing much faster since installing this fixture.. using the 24in hybrid with the radion pro over a 60 gal cube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2019, 12:43 AM   #10
bshow24
Registered Member

If you want to go the hybrid route, you'd be looking at the 48 inch hybrid with 2+ LEDs depending on what LEDs you choose (Hydras, Radions, Kessils). My personal experience is with radions, and for a 4 foot tank, I'd go with 2 XR30s (the xr15s just don't provide enough power). You will still need a way to hang the fixture though, as it doesn't come with legs. It's a high cost, but there is a good amount of success with it.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2019, 02:29 AM   #11
P593gat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijisrfr View Post
Aquatic life hybrid, my corals are growing much faster since installing this fixture.. using the 24in hybrid with the radion pro over a 60 gal cube

Can you post pictures of your reef with this light or can you post the link to your tread?

Unread 05/22/2019, 02:33 AM   #12
P593gat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshow24 View Post
If you want to go the hybrid route, you'd be looking at the 48 inch hybrid with 2+ LEDs depending on what LEDs you choose (Hydras, Radions, Kessils). My personal experience is with radions, and for a 4 foot tank, I'd go with 2 XR30s (the xr15s just don't provide enough power). You will still need a way to hang the fixture though, as it doesn't come with legs. It's a high cost, but there is a good amount of success with it.

do you mount the hybrid with radion in your reef?

Unread 05/22/2019, 04:04 AM   #13
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
do you mount the hybrid with radion in your reef?
I don't currently, right now I'm all radions with diffusers (2 xr30s and 2 xr15s on a 5 foot tank). I used to use retrofit t5s connected to a radion before they had these fixtures, but it wasn't too pleasing to the eye.

I wish I could use the aquatic life hybrid, but I can't hang a fixture from the ceiling and don't have enough room to put anything behind my tank to help hang it, so I'm a bit SOL unless they come out with legs for it.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 03:35 PM   #14
fijisrfr
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you post pictures of your reef with this light or can you post the link to your tread?

Here ya go, glass needs cleaning!

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote