Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2009, 03:59 PM   #276
bshumake
Registered Member

Its predominantly HA. Though there are two spots (ironically where the CL ejects) that the algae is tougher. I'm guessing Briopsis. And I already pruned it, but there is a 3rd algae in there too. Long, branching "hyphae" with minute disk-like leaves. Almost like an underwater lillypad. Will get better pics in the AM.

Current Tank Info: 90 Reef, 440W of T5, blah, blah
bshumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2009, 07:55 PM   #277
sanababit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bshumake
Its predominantly HA. Though there are two spots (ironically where the CL ejects) that the algae is tougher. I'm guessing Briopsis. And I already pruned it, but there is a 3rd algae in there too. Long, branching "hyphae" with minute disk-like leaves. Almost like an underwater lillypad. Will get better pics in the AM.
All i can say is WOW, when your tank is clear then everybody is going to be a believer, lol, man where are your corals, lol, jk

Sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
sanababit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2009, 08:04 PM   #278
bshumake
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sanababit
All i can say is WOW, when your tank is clear then everybody is going to be a believer, lol, man where are your corals, lol, jk

Sana
[/QUOTE
Tell me about it! With my MH's I just had spots of algae here and there. Granted, it was ugly, but nothing as bad as it is now. I say again, GE6500= Satan Spawn!

Unread 05/12/2009, 04:16 AM   #279
jrw
Registered Member

I'm on dose number 10. Skipped a few days recently. The hair algae is nearly gone and the cyano seems to be subsiding.

I dosed 30mL each time on a 265 gallon tank with approximately 40 gallon sump.

I ran the skimmer the whole time and suggest doing so. I would empty the cup of hair algae fragments that had died, broken off, and drifted its way to the skimmer to be removed.

Good luck to all. I am going to continue to use this product. Coral, anemone, and fish health are all excellent with no noted ill effects.

I also started vodka dosing just before using the Algaefix and am now up to 7.0mL of vodka per day.

jrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 05:05 AM   #280
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

JRW,

Good to hear your results.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 06:29 PM   #281
sanababit
Registered Member

Well guys, i have noticed that my corals lost a little bit of color and PE at the end of the algaefix treatment, so since last saturday i have been changing 10 gallons of water every 2 days and noticed that they are coming back, so just a heads up and maybe 3 days after your last dose, do a water change every couple of days for a week, just as a precaution, i am still happy with results and i will probably dose algaefix every couple of weeks.......

Sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
Unread 05/13/2009, 12:47 PM   #282
Bruno3047
Registered Member

Just completed my fourth dose and then took a pic. You can see that the HA is slowing disintegrating. I'll do a clean-out a day after the fifth dose. I expect that 90-95% of the HA will be gone afterwards. I had some chaeto-like algae that was growing wild out of my sand that seems to be holding up better than the HA. I'll remove this by hand. All in all, I'm happy with the results so far. There was no stress of note on my mushrooms but some of my worms, especially the bristle worms, are exhibiting a washed out color. No deaths that I can see, however.

Prior to 1st dose:

After 4th dose;

Bruno3047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2009, 04:49 PM   #283
jrw
Registered Member

Looks like progress!

My corals seem at least to me to have taken on a better color. Nothing scientific, but they for sure do not seem to be looking like they have lost color.

I ran my skimmer the whole time, continued water changes, etc. so maybe that was the difference.

Unread 05/14/2009, 06:26 AM   #284
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Bruno,

Looks like your tank is following with what most hobbyists report, where they see good results around the 5th dose.

The effects of AlgaeFix on your worms is interesting. Keeps us posted on this.

Unread 05/14/2009, 06:44 AM   #285
Logzor
Registered Member

So far I have noticed that my snails are covering my rock work more than normal. I have found that some algae are much more palatable when it is starting to weaken/die off.

My two-barred rabbitfish has begun to eat bubble algae. Things look promising. I see this as a huge savings over running GFO. The skimmer has been doing a heck of a job lately too.

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2009, 08:57 AM   #286
Doolin
Registered Member

3rd dose, no real results yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

www.worcreef.org
Doolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2009, 09:23 AM   #287
emoore
Registered Member

I just made my second dose. Is everyone following the directions and dosing every 3 days?

emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2009, 10:58 AM   #288
bshumake
Registered Member

Update:
I'll get some pics of my algae online later today. Of notable interest, last night the wife complained of a "crud smell" near the aquarium. I checked the skimmer and it was definately coming from the collection cup, which looked to have a little more sludge in it. Today I pulled probably 1.5lb of algae out of the tank. It came out pretty easily. So far so good. interested to see what happens now that that much algae was removed.

Unread 05/14/2009, 10:59 AM   #289
Bruno3047
Registered Member

Every three days is doing it for me. Pulled my carbon, GFO and kalk and adjusted to a wet skim with 1.010 SG water in my ATO. The carbon, GFO and kalk will go back on after the kill-off treatment is finished and the maintenance treatments begin.

Algaefix is saving my reef tank.

Unread 05/14/2009, 11:07 AM   #290
Bruno3047
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bshumake
interested to see what happens now that that much algae was removed.
I'm expecting that PO4 and NO3 will start to show elevated readings. They've both been at dead 0 since my cycle, even though I have the algae growth. I'm guessing that both compounds are being consumed by the algae before they can stay in solution long enough to read on my test kit.

Most of my rocks are Marco rocks, which are notorious for holding significant PO4 deposits. If that's the case, then the PO4 doesn't have far to travel to be consumed by my HA.

Unread 05/14/2009, 03:00 PM   #291
bshumake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emoore
I just made my second dose. Is everyone following the directions and dosing every 3 days?
I have resorted to daily dosing, while keeping a hairy eye on everything for any signs of stress. So far nothing to report.
Now that a great portion of the algae is removed I will return to 3 day dosing.

Unread 05/14/2009, 03:03 PM   #292
bshumake
Registered Member

lilly-pad type algae (center)

HA

Just beneath the CL outlet (on the rock) is the suspected Bryopsis

Unread 05/14/2009, 03:46 PM   #293
sanababit
Registered Member

I think you have briopsys there, i dont think algaefix works for that kind of algae, i need a better pic to ID, if it is Briopsys then raise mag up past 1500ppm, some have gotten rid of it that way....

sana

Unread 05/14/2009, 04:06 PM   #294
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emoore
Yes, as far as I am aware. I would not deviate from the recommended directions. Most hobbyists start to see results around the 4th or 5th dose.

Unread 05/14/2009, 04:14 PM   #295
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

bshumake,

That is a nasty looking algae type pest you have. I am not sure what it is. I will be following along with interest in this one. Bryopsis is feathery in its branching characteristics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all that have not read this previously,

It is in your best interest to physically remove as much of the algae pest by hand and siphoning as possible. If there is so much pest in your aquarium that you are overwhelmed, perhaps working on one section at a time is a better option.

I would be very careful if you decide to deviate from the labeled directions. The active ingredient can be nasty on your coral & invertebrates if you are not careful with it.

Unread 05/14/2009, 04:17 PM   #296
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Thanks for the pictures. This really helps other hobbyists who may be interested in trying AlgaeFix to identify with the different pests it has been used on and what one might expect to achieve when using it.

Unread 05/14/2009, 04:43 PM   #297
letik
Registered Member

I know that emerald crab can take care of your hair algae

letik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2009, 05:22 PM   #298
bshumake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sanababit
raise mag up past 1500ppm
I suspected some of my problem was bryopsis so when I bought the Algaefix I also got some Mg++. I have been dosing both. Figured i'd hit it with a 1-2 punch!
Highland has a point; DON'T deveate from the manufacturers directions. You do so at your own risk! I have not problems...yet... but that doesn't mean I WON'T.

Unread 05/14/2009, 05:58 PM   #299
jrw
Registered Member

I am up to my 11th dose today (265 gallon tank) every 3 days occasionally going 4-5. The hair algae is pretty much gone and the cyano is nearly gone as well. My nitrates and phosphates remain at zero. I plan maybe one more dose and then I'll try a weekly dose from there if need be.

I would not hesitate to use this again.

Unread 05/14/2009, 06:02 PM   #300
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Jrw,

Sounds like a fine plan to me. Congrats on gaining control of your pest.

Tags
ganjero