Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2019, 09:40 AM   #1
Chad_P
Registered Member

Pairing golden nugget maroons

I came across a killer deal on these two so wanted to give it a shot. Ran into my BTA right away and seemed ok for a few hours.

Things changed and they turned pretty aggressive. Locking jaws and twisting. These guys are less than 2” but any chance they are both female? Maybe I made a mistake getting two that are so close in size. They stay at opposite sides of tank until they go at it for a bit. Some fin tearing is occurring as well.

These are in a 180 gallon reef. Other inhabitants are a yellow tang, purple tang, blue hippo, two pajama cardinals and 3 golden dwarf morays. No other clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 12:07 PM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I have a golden nugget and a lightning maroon clownfish paired up for almost a year now. But I don’t think the gold nugget is mature yet, it’s just starting to turn yellow.fingers crossing hope they become mated paired. I also have a lightning clown paired with a gold bar maroon clownfish.

Mine was very aggressive as well n locking jaws, as long as they are not tearing each other fins to shreds, I think you will be ok.

Last edited by aznflyfisherman; 02/02/2019 at 12:18 PM.
aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
I have a golden nugget and a lightning maroon clownfish paired up for almost a year now. But I don’t think the gold nugget is mature yet, it’s just starting to turn yellow.fingers crossing hope they become mated paired. I also have a lightning clown paired with a gold bar maroon clownfish.

Mine was very aggressive as well n locking jaws, as long as they are not tearing each other fins to shreds, I think you will be ok.

There’s some fins getting torn up but they seem to break for a bit and calm down. Then go back at it a little later. Slept in the same anemone though when I went to bed last night. Not sure if that lasted all night though lol

Unread 02/02/2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Chad_P
Registered Member

Gonna be taken them back to the LFS. Ones not looking good and fins are getting pretty shredded. Gonna stick was something that’s not a maroon lol

Unread 02/03/2019, 10:16 AM   #5
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

You could keep one in the main tank n the other in the clear container until they both heal up n try again. I never had issues pairing. Guess I’m lucky..

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
You could keep one in the main tank n the other in the clear container until they both heal up n try again. I never had issues pairing. Guess I’m lucky..

Thanks. Unfortunately one was beat up too bad and didn’t make it. I let them fight too much. Other one went back to LFS.

Unread 02/03/2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Maroons have a rep for being agressive within the species.
One big say 2" with one very small say 3/4 to 1" would be easier.

If they are "mouth fighting" and creating damage, that's more likely 2 girls.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2019, 07:23 AM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

One of the ways to pair maroon clown is to imprison the smaller one in a floating prison for weeks. The larger on can see but not get to him. After several weeks, you can let the smaller one out. Success rate of this method is 90+ percent. The is about as best as you can get in pairing maroons.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2019, 06:59 PM   #9
randygonza
Registered Member

it takes patience my friend

randygonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 10:59 AM   #10
chinchalice
Registered Member

I paired mine finally over the process of like 2 months. I had one in a fairly large quarantine box with its own anemone and the other was in the display. with the other anemone. Bought them around the same size. The female is now 3x as big as the male and both have the full yellow colored developed. They are now completely paired and even laid eggs. It was definitely a trying process. Be patient! its worth the wait.

chinchalice is offline   Reply With Quote