Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2017, 07:25 AM   #26
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

If you like the Kessil shimmer (who doesn't) your tank could be lit by a pair of AP700's or 4 or 5 a360's.

Kessil is American and offers a 2 yr warranty and they "say" their LEDS last 50,000 operating hrs. If you got 5 or 6 years out them, thats not bad value either. They will grow sps, but placement is important.

The others are terrific lights too, but few have the kessil shimmer.

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 12:29 PM   #27
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post
If you like the Kessil shimmer (who doesn't) your tank could be lit by a pair of AP700's or 4 or 5 a360's.

Kessil is American and offers a 2 yr warranty and they "say" their LEDS last 50,000 operating hrs. If you got 5 or 6 years out them, thats not bad value either. They will grow sps, but placement is important.

The others are terrific lights too, but few have the kessil shimmer.
Ap700's looks good does it had a par rating I can look

Thank you

Unread 07/31/2017, 01:00 PM   #28
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Radium and T5 bulbs can last a year easy. Nothing in that fixture needs replacing every six months unless you are overdriving the Radiums - if you are overdriving the radiums, then stop.. the 250W are made to run on M80 and don't need to be pushed any harder than this to have massive output.

Most of the Kessil products have PAR maps on BRS site or videos.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 04:16 PM   #29
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Radium and T5 bulbs can last a year easy. Nothing in that fixture needs replacing every six months unless you are overdriving the Radiums - if you are overdriving the radiums, then stop.. the 250W are made to run on M80 and don't need to be pushed any harder than this to have massive output.

Most of the Kessil products have PAR maps on BRS site or videos.
Do you know how long Radium bulb with M80 last (hours)? Also T5's How long that last ?

Thank you ..

Unread 07/31/2017, 04:23 PM   #30
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

12 months on each running 8-10 hours a day. That is what I have done for decades.

You only need to replace sooner than that if you are over driving the bulbs like the T5 with IceCap ballasts or using 400W ballasts on the Radiums.

Unread 07/11/2018, 10:34 PM   #31
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Question

It is time for Changing all the 4 x 60 T5 and 3 x Radium bulbs
I wanted to check again if any LED's / T5 worth an upgrade @ this time
Below are the options I think

Option-1 Kessil get a 4 of the A360(359$/per light) W and with this can also get AQUATICLIFE 61" T5HO HYBRID 4-LAMP MOUNTING SYSTEM I am not sure if you need T5 with A360
Option-2 Get 3 x XR30W G4 PRO

Option-3 Get 3 x Mitras LX 7206

Option-4 Get 3 x Kessil AP700

I like to hear your experience on those fixture's in terms or build quality and reliability and control ability what else in the market .. My tank is heavy on SPS.

Thank you

Unread 07/12/2018, 08:23 AM   #32
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

There are still no LEDs that are better than your Radiums. Period. They might be right for you, though - even though they are not as good, you might like them for other reasons.

I would keep the 4x60" T5 with any of those options for best successes. Also, do not get rid fo the Radiums for at least a year - since you know what they can do, you very likely might want them back.

Unread 07/13/2018, 08:03 AM   #33
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Thank you jda,
I didn't wanted to switch to leds till the time they are really viable
I have a situation at hand where I need to move the tank to another location in my house and the new location I cannot hang the my Hamilton Fixture( They are really heavy) in the new location , want to use the canopy but since the Hamilton Fixture is heavy I an little scare to put than on the tank..

I see the led landscape has not change much. My Option seems to be
Option seems to be Kessil get a 4 to 6 of the A360(359$/per light) W and with this can also get AQUATICLIFE 61" T5HO HYBRID 4-LAMP MOUNTING SYSTEM

Have any one tried these ? Is that a good option ?

Unread 07/16/2018, 04:43 PM   #34
bcheriyan
Aqua99

After a lots of research and reading looks like most viable ones are
1)Get 3 x Mitras LX 7206 or 3 x RADION XR30W G4 PRO

Still unable to decide which one ?
Any help is appreciated ?
Thank you

Unread 07/16/2018, 09:20 PM   #35
Bill Nye
Registered Member

If I was spending crazy money I would get the ATI LED hybrid for sure.

Bill Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 09:54 AM   #36
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Thx Bill

Unread 07/30/2018, 06:40 PM   #37
saveafish
Registered Member

@ bcheriyan
I'm setting up and building a 96x 30x32. Real close to yours just longer. I too have spent hrs on hrs looking at LEDs. Here is the stump I keep running into. If I run MH with duo wattage ballast I can go from 250-400w in a bulb change and click of a dial. Not to say the 3-4K it would cost to have LEDs. Than the wattage, once all the LEDs are running even with T5s I'm using the same wattage.
Here is the big one no one seems to talk about, except the ones that change back to MH or T5s.
LEDs starts to have a color shift. At what point We don't know. LEDs we just go oh i need more blue adjust ohh done. This seems to be the big one. The shhhh we don't talk about this. MH and T5s we do bulb changes so we know it it adjusted back once a year or so. LEDs are ran as the diod slowly fades shifting color.
I'm thinking hard on MHs..
Although the geek in me likes the cool apps you can play with on the LEDs.
Ive read all replies on your post. Great points and questions. Thank you for posting this..

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 09:44 AM   #38
bcheriyan
Aqua99

Thank you saveafish , you have nice long size looks like , I use to have DYI led fixture on my old tank, it was nice but lacked some spectrum, these days no one is talking about DIY because fixtures are cheaper compared to like 5 years back .. I been using MH and T5 for 3 years , It is still expensive to Change all the bulbs , another problem the Hamilton fixture is heavy and changing bullb is not that easy, Also Led's I thought have a good life span like 50,000 hours for cree , but color shift could be different ? One thinking is that if you get Mitras LX 720 they are modular so you can change Individual groups ?
Not Sure if that is a real advantage ..
Thank you do you have a build thread ? I will search.

Unread 09/06/2018, 03:17 AM   #39
hottuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nye View Post
If I was spending crazy money I would get the ATI LED hybrid for sure.
I like the concept of the ATI but too many blues for the LED ! should use a full spectrum 6500k white for the LED's -then you could load up the actinic's as the t5 supplement...
The epistar 6500k would be a great choice for the LED's...
These mfg's gotta stop thinking all we want is blue light ...lol