Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2018, 03:27 PM   #1
thecrablady
Registered Member

Managing tank from a distance

Hey all. I wanted to know what products you use to manage a reef tank even while away from the tank. I'm designing a 90 gallon at work with a sump and I want to be able to check on it while out of office. Such as on long 0weekends or emergency snow days.

thecrablady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:30 PM   #2
HBtank
Premium Member

Controllers such as the Apex provide Wifi monitoring and control, and there are tons of WiFi camera options out there.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 11:30 PM   #3
BrettDS
Registered Member

Managing tank from a distance

Like the others said, an apex and a WiFi camera are a good start, but the other thing that can make a big difference is redundancy. When I set up my 220 I ran two dedicated circuits for the tank. I have two return pumps (one plugged into each circuit) and two heaters (again, one in each circuit) and two lights on one circuit and one on the other. Over New Years I went to visit my parents for a week and a half and while I was gone the GFCI on one of the circuits tripped. Since I had the apex and the camera I could tell that water was still moving and the tank was still at the right temperature since one of the return pumps and one heater were still going. The tank limped along like this for about 4 and a half days until I was got home and reset the circuit. The fish and corals were still in great shape when I got there.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
technology