Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2012, 03:11 PM   #76
cham
Registered Member

Nope, no UV. Since these parasites attach themselves to the fish I would say it would be worthless.

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2012, 10:44 AM   #77
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Cham, it's a pretty incredible feeling when you're able to keep one of these beautiful fish.. I had given up for a while and then in January of 2011, I caught a beautiful one on sale from Live Aquaria.. She ate nothing but Nori and bloodwroms for 7 months and then BOOM... Her appetite opened up and now she is the hog of the tank.. I really love this fish.. Congratualtions on the success you've had with yours!

Go ahead... Put the price on the bag. I don't have that problem any longer :)

Current Tank Info: 180g Custom rimless Starphire, 48 X10 ATI PM T5 fixture, Vortech MP40w X3 with battery Backup, Bubble King Super Marin 250, Geo 612 Calc reactor, Profilux stand-alone Doser, Neptune Apex controller, Ozotech Poseidon 200 ozone generator
jbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2012, 02:42 PM   #78
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks View Post
Cham, it's a pretty incredible feeling when you're able to keep one of these beautiful fish.. I had given up for a while and then in January of 2011, I caught a beautiful one on sale from Live Aquaria.. She ate nothing but Nori and bloodwroms for 7 months and then BOOM... Her appetite opened up and now she is the hog of the tank.. I really love this fish.. Congratualtions on the success you've had with yours!
Congrats to you as well. Would love to see pics of yours too.

Mine was the same way, pellet only (thank god for NLS!!!). Now she eats everything that hits the water.

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
Unread 01/06/2012, 09:01 PM   #79
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Thanks man! I wish mine ate pellets from the beginning. She wen through almost a sheet of Nor I a day along with the other Tangs in order to keep her weight up... Fortunately, she stayed pretty fat througout her acclimation to my reef. Those spectrum pellets are the Truth! Here is a picture of my girl.

Current Tank Info: 180g Custom rimless Starphire, 48 X10 ATI PM T5 fixture, Vortech MP40w X3 with battery Backup, Bubble King Super Marin 250, Geo 612 Calc reactor, Profilux stand-alone Doser, Neptune Apex controller, Ozotech Poseidon 200 ozone generator
Unread 01/06/2012, 09:01 PM   #80
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Unread 01/06/2012, 09:21 PM   #81
geaux xman
Registered Member

does yall PBT bother any other fish or show any aggression towards the other tangs?

my 5" PBT seems pretty peaceful.

Unread 01/06/2012, 09:27 PM   #82
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks View Post
GREAT looking fish!!!!

I love the PBT's, one of my favorite fish of all time for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux xman View Post
does yall PBT bother any other fish or show any aggression towards the other tangs?

my 5" PBT seems pretty peaceful.
Mine doesn't, I know they're usually the bully but she is the wuss of the tank.

Unread 01/06/2012, 09:41 PM   #83
geaux xman
Registered Member

how often do you guys feed? i know SPS tanks, water quality is a big concern, so i'm curious.

i'm FOWLR, so i'm constantly dumping food in my tank. 3-5x/day.

i do a lot of ocean nutriton formula 2 pellets too. if you guys want to mix up your food, thats a good option. i feed NLS 3mm pellets to my other angels, but its too big for the PBT. the 4" blue tang would go after it though.

after reading this thread, one thing i did incorporate into my QT-ing routine is Formalin dips. i had read a bit more about formalin dips on WWM first. so now i do about two 1 hr formalin dips on all fish. one sometime mid QT and another before entering the DT. i use Formalin MS, 4ml formalin/4gal DT water.

Last edited by geaux xman; 01/06/2012 at 09:51 PM.
geaux xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2012, 07:10 PM   #84
shackman
Registered Member

Ok Cham so I brought me home a powder blue but it was out of the bag due to my friend owning the pet store and giving me a deal. He is in QT now but only picking at the rocks, will not eat. He did eat a couple of mysis yesterday but now lets the rest go by. He does have good color. Is this a good or bad sign. He has been in QT about 1 day now.

Last edited by shackman; 01/07/2012 at 07:16 PM.
shackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2012, 11:03 PM   #85
cham
Registered Member

If they're not eating it's never a good sign. You should always see a fish eat before you buy.

Since it's a QT and you're not worried about perfect water quality I'd have food always available. Get yourself some NLS, those pellets are perfect for tangs, specifically sensitive ones like the PBT.

Unread 01/08/2012, 02:57 PM   #86
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Thanks Bro!

Unread 05/06/2012, 03:48 PM   #87
cham
Registered Member

One year update photo. She's doing great and is fatter than ever. Overall all my tangs have more "mass" and have a thicker profile width wise as the months pass.

I've fed maybe 3/4 of a bag of nori over the past year. The NLS pellets pretty much sustain them along with mysis.

Unread 05/06/2012, 10:01 PM   #88
geaux xman
Registered Member

looking good there bud.

how big is the PBT?

your reef is looking very nice too.

Unread 05/07/2012, 06:19 AM   #89
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux xman View Post
looking good there bud.

how big is the PBT?

your reef is looking very nice too.
Thank you

I'd estimate 4 to 5"

Unread 05/07/2012, 07:20 AM   #90
nanoreefbro
Registered Member

I like your perseverance and dedication. I've tried a few times and the only luck I had keeping a PBT was buying one from another local reefer. Glad it turned out well for you. I'd like to add one to my 230 gal but I already have a Bariene Tang in there and they are the same species...

nanoreefbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 03:31 PM   #91
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefbro View Post
I like your perseverance and dedication. I've tried a few times and the only luck I had keeping a PBT was buying one from another local reefer. Glad it turned out well for you. I'd like to add one to my 230 gal but I already have a Bariene Tang in there and they are the same species...
Thanks

I have a hippo & yellow in there too but they both were already in the tank and have even temperments. I've seen some very agressive yellow tangs and I wouldn't have tried the PBT if he was.

I added the PBT last and she is quite a bit larger than the other two. They chase each other from time to time but they spend most of their time fighting their reflections.

Unread 05/07/2012, 04:12 PM   #92
cham
Registered Member

Snapped a few more pictures today, my goal was to capture the real life colors of this fish without the actinics making her look bluer. These colors are really close and the last I used the camera flash which washes it out quite a bit (look at the blue/green chromis in the top corner, super washed out) but you'll still get the idea.

I just can't say enough about NLS pellets, the colors that the fish are showing is incredible to me. Maybe it's because I'm not really a fish guy and some minor sucess has me jumping around......

Unread 07/18/2015, 04:50 PM   #93
cham
Registered Member

Quick update

Just a bit over 3 years and he's still doing great. I've had to take my SPS offline because of time restraints due to life events but the last year or more the PBT has been doing great on NLS pellets only. I have put nori in the tank once or twice in the last year, he will pick at it but devours the NLS and he's in great shape.

Another two thumbs up for NLS