Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2018, 03:23 PM   #1
treva05
Registered Member

Question 27g cube tank questions

Hi everyone,

I’ve been interested in setting up a reef tank for over a decade now. I’ve done lots of reading and research. But time and money has always been a tight commodity. However, I’m about to acquire a 27g Marineland cube tank and stand for basically free. So I’d like to setup a small reef in it. I’m aware of the possible difficulties in starting a small reef especially for a beginner like myself. But I’m determined to make it successful. Money is tight for me so this project is going to be slow going. My plans after getting the tank home and cleaned up is to purchase some dry rock (as much as I can afford and enough that is aesthetically pleasing. Then some live sand (probably Fiji pink) and then some saltwater. I plan to then start the cycling process (maybe I’ll buy the bacteria starter or go some other route). I don’t plan on doing a sump (at least not yet). Eventually I’ll put a HOB protein skimmer as $ allows. My questions for the forum are advice on heater(s) and powerhead(s). Should I get two powerheads and set them on timers to alternate flow? I only plan to keep some fish, inverts, and maybe some easy to care for soft corals. No plans on LPS or SPS for a while, if ever (at least for this tank). I’m looking for affordable yet decently made equipment. I look forward to your suggestions! Thank you for taking your time to read my post & potentially for replying!

treva05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27g, cube, nano