Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2015, 12:30 PM   #1851
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I'm about to throw a rock through my tank.

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 12:32 PM   #1852
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
After using the clean method, I stocked my tank and refugium with glass and peppermint shrimp... I also run an open flow - no socks or nets.

Result :

http://youtu.be/8IU-gGSYyB4

Plankton to the max.
Wow!
Where did you get the plankton?

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 12:46 PM   #1853
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Does anyone have any microscope vids of copepods actually eating dinoflagellates? And do the copepods survive the meal? Or do they die like most inverts?

Unread 09/19/2015, 01:18 PM   #1854
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Here's a pic of my Jedi mind trick starting to explode in growth

Was tincy when I had dinos.

Only negative so far since raising my nutrients is the explosion of bubble algae .

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 01:57 PM   #1855
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Does anyone have any microscope vids of copepods actually eating dinoflagellates? And do the copepods survive the meal? Or do they die like most inverts?
No microscope yet, but I have dinos mostly on my glass, and it is *covered* with pods. I'd say 90% of the pods I see are on the dinos. They're definitely not dying off. Pods are listed as a major predator of dinos in a couple of papers; I can dig up the links if you like.

I have the clear-white Amphiscolops flatworms. They are on the dino patches, but I'm not totally sure whether they're eating dinos, or the pods. They have a strange foldy behaviour that looks predatory. Their population is steady at a 'couple'.

It would be seriously amusing if one of the plagues of the reef world turns out to eat dinos!

hth
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 02:14 PM   #1856
garygonzales
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm about to throw a rock through my tank.
lol i hear ya....i guess you have to find a balance.. im still working on that myself..lol....im in same boat as you...

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 02:34 PM   #1857
karimwassef
Registered Member

I didn't get the plankton, I made it.

I have a large refugium with stacks of sand for denitrification and a chaeto jungle for phosphate uptake and pods to thrive in.

I bought about 10,000 pods from reefs2go. I also got 200 glass shrimp and 50 peppermints. The plankton is the byproduct of their feverish mating and the phyto I add.

I have a few other tricks like a nighttime surge that moves the refugium only (since its on a reverse cycle). That flushes the babies up into the DT.

This population exists in spite of still running my UV at night. This is because the dinos remain in the water column and float from the DT to the refugium. The slow flow back up to the DT kills some of the plankton, but most will stay in the DT. The dinos will stay in the column and be exposed repeatedly to UV.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 02:36 PM   #1858
karimwassef
Registered Member

photo FA4F26A5-132D-4EF2-A7B2-ACCFC5D85BE7.png_zpsbkg8idai.jpeg

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 09/20/2015, 07:36 AM   #1859
DNA
Registered Member

Julian Sprung talking about his close encounter with palytoxin.
https://youtu.be/sgolj7laZQY?t=844

I added a tang a few years back that reacted like his Copperband did.
At that time I blamed cyanide fish catching, but now there is another possibility.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 08:34 AM   #1860
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I have green hair algae and would like to experiment on the use of it in my reef tank to outcome tell the dinos.

Questions:
1. What's the best way to put it in my tank and have it controlled? Or will it just start growing everywhere?
2. Could green hair algae kill corals?
3. How would you put it in your tank?

Unread 09/20/2015, 09:42 AM   #1861
karimwassef
Registered Member

I wonder if anyone with a turf algae scrubber has dinos??

That would be an interesting datapoint.

Unread 09/20/2015, 09:42 AM   #1862
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
I have green hair algae and would like to experiment on the use of it in my reef tank to outcome tell the dinos.

Questions:
1. What's the best way to put it in my tank and have it controlled? Or will it just start growing everywhere?
2. Could green hair algae kill corals?
3. How would you put it in your tank?
Algae scrubber

Unread 09/20/2015, 10:53 AM   #1863
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Algae scrubber
Hard to set one up in a biocube 29

Unread 09/20/2015, 11:10 AM   #1864
karimwassef
Registered Member

Actually, there are small self-enclosed boxes that can do this. It may add 15gals of water

Unread 09/20/2015, 01:22 PM   #1865
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
I wonder if anyone with a turf algae scrubber has dinos??

That would be an interesting datapoint.
Interesting point.. I want to say I doubt it. Algae does put chemical messengers and signals in the water, this may be another reason green algae inhibits dinos.

@Billy I hear you on the rock. It's so frustrating when you are being careful and doing everything 'right' and something like this happens. Having a box of water in the living room that kills everything you put in it is not a relaxing experience.

About the hair algae, stick a rock in. It is unlikely to kill corals unless it's blocking out their light. Actually I doubt it will even grow in your tank unless you get your nitrates and phosphates up.

hth
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 09/20/2015, 04:04 PM   #1866
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Are dinos the reason why my gonipora and acans are closed

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 04:26 PM   #1867
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

My acans were craps when I had dinos. They've improved a lot

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 04:27 PM   #1868
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Well I'll chalk that up as normal for now lol. and I just installed a new sexy sump too bummer. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442788044.617837.jpg

Unread 09/20/2015, 05:11 PM   #1869
garygonzales
Registered Member

dinos covered almost every coral in my tank ..had to keep blowing this stuff off...****ed off my zoas and gorgonians too....

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 05:29 PM   #1870
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdude View Post
Well I'll chalk that up as normal for now lol. and I just installed a new sexy sump too bummer. Attachment 329130
Maybe. Dinos can drop alkalinity. Maybe something is leaching from your new (sexy indeed sump?

hth
Ivy

Unread 09/20/2015, 05:48 PM   #1871
karimwassef
Registered Member

So no one battling dinos has a turf scrubber at the time, right?

Unread 09/21/2015, 09:56 AM   #1872
Billybatz9
Registered Member

No water changes
Reduced feeding
Reduced lighting
Siphoning out top layer of sandbed.

Dinos get worse... the hell?

Unread 09/21/2015, 09:59 AM   #1873
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

More light
More food
No skimmer
No gfo

Getting better

(Just go the sump yesterday. Dinos been there since May)

Unread 09/21/2015, 10:00 AM   #1874
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Quote:
So no one battling dinos has a turf scrubber at the time, right?

I did. The dinos killed it. No green algae left anywhere. my cheato shrank and isn't growing.

Unread 09/21/2015, 11:05 AM   #1875
bheron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
@bheron Wow, what an ordeal! I'm glad you're making headway finally. I think you are right about excessive cleanliness. I think it leads to low biodiversity, creating an environment where only extremophiles like cyano and dinos can survive. I hypothesize that the few of us with really intractable dinos (Hi DNA!) have something missing or wrong so far down the food chain it's difficult to remediate. Probably not a coincidence that neither of us has access to good real live rock or microfauna kits.
Thanks Quiet_Ivy. I spent years dealing with algae and cyano before the dinos. Was so programmed to keep reducing nutrients. It never worked! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
This is like a fresh wind in our sails.
:-)

So what about running Carbon? Any feedback that makes Dinos worse? After months of the 'dirty tank' method I'd like to run some carbon to see if I can clear up the water.

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005

Last edited by bheron; 09/21/2015 at 11:11 AM.
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote