Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2017, 11:26 AM   #1
kirtdog
Registered Member

Frag tank plumbing question

I purchased a 30 x20 x10 acrylic frag tank from a guy for a very good price. When I purchased it, I had some concerns about how it was drilled. the overflow is in the right hand corner and there is a hole drilled in the bottom for a 1" bulkhead. In the back of the overflow, there is a hole drilled for a 1/2" bulkhead. The guy said that I could use lockline and just run the return up and over the overflow. Technically, i could do that but I would prefer not to. I considered putting a 90 going up and using that as an emergency drain like in a herbie setup and either drilling another hole for the return or going over the top.

What do you all think? Would by emergency drain idea work or would there be an issue as the main drain is 1" and the emergency would be 1/2". I have attached a few pics to show what I am working with.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6138.jpg (48.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_1c9d.jpg (36.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6137.jpg (34.8 KB, 46 views)
kirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 11:34 AM   #2
kirtdog
Registered Member

anyone??? I'm at a loss

Unread 01/01/2018, 12:46 PM   #3
dt204
Registered Member

Why do you not want to run the locline out of the overflow? It would work as a Durso.
If you want to have an extra drain, you could use the second hole as a drain. I don't see the 1/2" being a problem if it is only an emergency. You would have to plug the main drain solid to have a problem. That being said, it is always safer to have the same size drain...
You've got options.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dt204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 12:57 PM   #4
kirtdog
Registered Member

dt204..thanks for your response. Would I just run up and over the overflow? I didn't know if that would be an issue. If not, I will go that route. I will have to see if I have enough lock line lying around. lol

Unread 01/01/2018, 08:33 PM   #5
dt204
Registered Member

I have mine as rigid up to the top of the overflow, and then locline over the weir. I have a small hole drilled in the locline for a syphon break as well. And I keep the output fairly high up as another failsafe.
The Durso is a basic method of plumbing, and works great. It just doesn't have the safety of a bean animal for instance.
You can see I have a float switch in my overflow area as an extra safety with my Durso.

I'd pour over the forums for a few hours and check out different builds and plumbing threads to see what you like best, and what might work best for your situation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dt204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 09:03 PM   #6
kirtdog
Registered Member

I have looked at a lot of posts on here but haven't been able to find a tank quite like mine. Thank you for posting the pics.

here is what i have mocked up. I haven't drilled a hole in the top of the durso yet or removed a few teeth in the weir. Where did you drill the hole for the siphon break? How does it look?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6165.jpg (45.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6166.jpg (38.6 KB, 30 views)
Unread 01/01/2018, 09:11 PM   #7
rocsec1
Registered Member

That should work. I would prefer a straighter run,but there doesn’t look like there is room.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 09:14 PM   #8
kirtdog
Registered Member

rocsec1- that was my main concern. I thought about not putting the elbow on the drain and running full siphon but that would not be wise hahahaha. I am considering putting another 1/2" elbow then running the locline of of that to get a straighter run.