Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2008, 03:54 PM   #51
cutegecko3
Registered Member

My preferred method is to use the glad 1 quart sandwich bags.Ive shipped dozens of orders of live amphiopods and ive never had a leak or a DOA.I actually tested the commercials by filling a bag full of water then threw it on the ground twice,Ive never seen a shipping bag that tough or leak proof.

cutegecko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2008, 10:05 PM   #52
rcypert
Registered Member

So what kind of cool packs do you guys use? I am shipping from florida to texas tomorrow and am not sure if I should just but a frozen water bottle in there taped to the lid or what? Temps should be in the 80-90 range.

rcypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2008, 04:32 AM   #53
ben&bobbi
Registered Member

a water bottle will not be a good choice. you atleast need to spend $1 at wal-mart and get a gel pack and freeze it. wrap it in newspaper and to not allow it to contact the bags!

ben&bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2008, 06:26 AM   #54
rcypert
Registered Member

How do you guys keep the shipping cheap? I am calculating on fedex and its saying it will be 135 to ship to texas overnight with a 19x17x15 box at 12 pounds. I always believed overnight shipping to be more in the 50 dollar range.

Unread 05/12/2008, 07:04 AM   #55
H@rry
Moved On

Why are you using such a large box? How many frags are you shipping? That size box would probably hold at least 150 frags.

FedEx uses what it calls "dimensional weight" where they use the formula of ((L * W * H) / 194). If you shipped that size box they would charge you for the greater of its actual weight or 25 pounds. So even if you shipped an empty box of that size they would charge you for 25 pounds. It's not just the weight but also how much space it takes up on the aircraft.

Also for a "cool pack" I have just used a bag of ice wrapped in newspaper. Be careful with it though and don't use it unless you expect the temps to be above 90. If its going to be that hot have the package held for pickup at the local FedEx facility.

Last edited by H@rry; 05/12/2008 at 07:12 AM.
H@rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2008, 07:38 AM   #56
rcypert
Registered Member

Thanks Harry. I cut the box down and and it came out to about 73 dollars. Still more then I thought but much closer. I am shipping 13 frags. I am shipping from central Florida to Houston. The high tomorrow in Texas looks like it will be close to 87. So I guess I'll go without the cool pack. I was thinking it would cool it down too much but isn't too cool better then too hot with sps frags?

Unread 05/12/2008, 07:43 AM   #57
Travis
10 and over club

Quote:
Originally posted by rcypert
I cut the box down and and it came out to about 73 dollars. Still more then I thought but much closer.
You wouldn't believe the number of people I've had that said my flat rate of $55 for frags is way too high. I wish more people would try shipping frags at least once just to realize that sellers are not making money on shipping. I usually lose money on shipping.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2008, 12:27 AM   #58
kass03
Registered Member

I use the ziploc screw on containers but I do also bag the frags first.
I've always just shipped softies like zoas or shrooms with them though.
Depending on frag and weather, I bag the frag put it in ziploc twist and lock. use newspaper in the box, sometimes styro lined.
I like the tall ziplock containers. They are bigger than a thermos and I can fit 2 frags in them usually.
I usually only ship when the weather is good also.

I have also used several times those fold up coolers to ship corals. The soft cooler kind with a zipper.
I got a deal on them one time at Menards for a fall closeout sale and they worked really well.

I bagged the corals put em in the cooler (put newspaper around them if there was room left) and put the cooler in a box with newspaper if it didnt fit tight.

I like containers in case the bags would leak. That way your box doesnt get all wet if it would leak and fall apart. Yes it costs a little more but I try to ship well.

kass

kass03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2008, 02:26 PM   #59
H@rry
Moved On

Who has experience in shipping a big coral - say 15 - 20 inches across? I know it would punch holes in plastic bags even if they were triple bagged. I was thinking about using a cooler/ice chest and taping the lid down tight. Has anyone tried that?

Unread 05/22/2008, 02:28 PM   #60
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

what kind of coral???

How much does it weigh??

are there any oddball branches coming off of it that will make it harder than it could be??

need to know answers to those questions before i could make any suggestions

Unread 05/22/2008, 02:47 PM   #61
H@rry
Moved On

There are some Acros and some Hydnaphoras that are at least 12 - 13 inches across. Another M. palawanensis is 13 inches in diameter. Weight is not an issue. Packing for shipping is the issue.

Unread 05/24/2008, 06:08 PM   #62
BradsOcean
Registered Member

How do you pack the corals when you ship?

Just wondering, how do you guys all pack up the corals to ship? Do you just put it in a plastic bag like the LFS...then put it in a box or what?

Current Tank Info: had a few small reefs in the past, researching for my future 125 :)
BradsOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2008, 11:17 PM   #63
joker577
Moved On

I just plan on using styrofoam boxes, lined in newspaper, possibly heat packs also...when my mom drove 9 hours to get home from Florida with my frag pack the guy didn't use heat packs and the water was still warm

joker577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2008, 04:41 PM   #64
Tahoe Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by em805
Just out of curiosity what is everyones opinion on the Kordon Breathing bags for shipping coral?

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/breathing_bags/index.htm
These bags look sweet, i ordered a 25 pack to test them out. I'll try to remeber to post my results here after a few days of testing.
thnx for the link.

Tahoe Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2008, 12:40 PM   #65
AD87
Registered Member

What temp do you need to add heat packs or cold packs? do you go off of high temps?

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2008, 11:30 PM   #66
niccas9
Moved On

Shipping is a little more expensive, but I go to the dollar tree and buy the small disposable styro ice chests and then place those inside a box for shipment. After bagging frags and adding ice pack/heat pack, I hot glue the lid shut and tape it, then I package the box real nice. I usually lose a few bucks every time on shipping, but nearly everything makes it alive (not counting those people who want to do Priority mail from Ca to FL though!)

THoughts on shipping a torch...never have and I am going to this week.

niccas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2008, 01:37 PM   #67
tygger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speeddemonlsr
What temp do you need to add heat packs or cold packs? do you go off of high temps?
I'd like to know the general rule of thumb on this also...

Unread 07/07/2008, 05:56 PM   #68
tygger
Registered Member

How much water should be included with a frag shipment?

Unread 07/30/2008, 11:42 AM   #69
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by tygger
I'd like to know the general rule of thumb on this also...
all temps high and low both where it is coming from and where it is going to play a part as there are countless little tweaks and tricks you can do to each box from how you wrap the ice or cold pack, whether it is a 12 hour or a 24 hour heat pack, how big of a icepack.....inside or outside the box...etc.

the most important things IMO are using a thick walled 1" + real cooler if the temps are outside of 65-90 so you actually have real control of whats going on isnside the box and a am delivery. neither of these things are mandatory in many circumstances, but it is the only way I will do it and while I cant say I NEVER lose anything....dang close to never.

flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2008, 08:24 PM   #70
smoothlarryhughes
Registered Member

anyone know how lps ship?

smoothlarryhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2008, 09:14 PM   #71
crazydante
Registered Member

I recently shipped an expensive order in a ziplock container. I placed the frags in baggies just to keep them separated. I placed the bag in the lil container and filled it with water. Remember these containers say leak proof but they are not. Before screwing on the lid, I wrapped the top of the container with some teflon tape. Now its leakproof. Then I placed the container in a bag and tied it for insurance. I then wrapped the container in some bubble wrap and tossed it in a lil box filled with crumbled newspaper with a heat pack on the top. 8 frags and less then 2 lbs. It made it home without a leak.

crazydante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2008, 11:37 AM   #72
rcypert
Registered Member

Thats interesting. What is everyones opinion of USPS overnight shipping? It is like half the cost of ups and fedex. I have used it once and it seems to be the same deal.

Unread 08/01/2008, 11:41 AM   #73
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by rcypert
Thats interesting. What is everyones opinion of USPS overnight shipping? It is like half the cost of ups and fedex. I have used it once and it seems to be the same deal.
I will never use anything but fed ex

I will compromise if someone has a ups account they want to ship under. But if they insist on usps to save a few bucks, no deal.

you will see many sellers say that they will only guraantee it if it is shipped fed ex priority, and they will ship cheaper options but not guarantee it. If I cant guarantee it...I wont sell it.

thats how I feel about USPS

Unread 08/01/2008, 11:46 AM   #74
Travis
10 and over club

Same here. If someone insists on USPS, then I will do that for them but I can offer no guarantees on anything arriving alive. USPS is cheap for a reason... you get what you pay for.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2008, 11:57 AM   #75
H@rry
Moved On

I agree with the others using FedEx. They are the most expensive but they get the job done, it's worth it with perishable merchandise like coral frags. I've shipped over 80 boxes of coral and they missed only two. One was a snowstorm in Kentucky and the other was a "maintenance delay". That's pretty good odds. I don't have any idea UPS could do that well. Don't even talk about USPS!