Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2008, 07:29 PM   #76
joker577
Moved On

I beg to differ on price...I paid $99 dollars to ship corals 3 states away with UPS..what a waste.

joker577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2008, 06:06 AM   #77
reefman2525
Registered Member

I use blue foam 1" and double it up insulation is the key blue foam for foundations is great. It comes in sheets and is pretty cheap

reefman2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2008, 10:21 PM   #78
aznnutty
Registered Member

i want to ship zoas and was wondering what's the best way to do this knowing zoas are pretty hardy. the temps 60- 80. i was thinking a twist n lock glad liquid container in two ziplocks and alot of paper for small manybe 6"x6"x6" box?

aznnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2008, 10:22 PM   #79
aznnutty
Registered Member

will they be ok priority?

aznnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2008, 10:28 PM   #80
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by aznnutty
i want to ship zoas and was wondering what's the best way to do this knowing zoas are pretty hardy. the temps 60- 80. i was thinking a twist n lock glad liquid container in two ziplocks and alot of paper for small manybe 6"x6"x6" box?
ziplocks suck and are prone to leaking. dont use them

use fish bags and tie or rubberband them shut. I prefer to use tall bags and tie them shut as its just simpler, but rubberbands can work fine too

Quote:
Originally posted by aznnutty
will they be ok priority?
not in my opinion. sure it can work, if you are comfrotable with things not always surviving or arriving in poor shape sometimes. Nobody who ships priority mail often can claim near zero mortality rates. i could say it much more brutally than that...but I wont.

these are animals and need shipped and recieved in 24 hours or less IMO.

flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 09:17 AM   #81
Travis
10 and over club

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy

these are animals and need shipped and recieved in 24 hours or less IMO.
+1

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2008, 11:38 PM   #82
cloakerpoked
Registered Member

As both an aquarium enthusiast, and one who used to work in the retail shipping business, I feel as though I may have something of value to add to this conversation. Our store (an independent) used UPS, FedEX, DHL, and USPS. USPS only guarantees overnight to certain areas, and even then the guarantee is flimsy...I'd never use them. DHL is just a claim waiting to happen, although they'll pay it every time, only had about a 50% success rate with next day or second day service. UPS and FedEx were both really reliable for us...I never really had major issues with either.

As for boxes, as has been stated here earlier...use the smallest possible. Also, use a commercial destination address as often as possible. The rates to commercially zoned addresses are a lot cheaper than to residential, not to mention the drivers ALWAYS know them, they lay on the routes, and get delivered to more reliably. And take advantage of ground if its within the next day delivery zone for your zip. Ground to commercial addresses (with UPS at least) is guaranteed on the scheduled delivery day anyway. Common sense stuff like drop them off close to the pick up time, not at 8 AM on your way to work. All this can help the animals arrive healthy and safe. Remember too...Airplane cargo bays and UPS warehouses are not heated or air conditioned, and the temperature in a brown UPS truck can exceed 110 degrees on a 90 degree day. Even a white FedEx truck will get pretty dang hot on a warm day...don't assume just because the high is 85 that they'll be ok without a cool pack.

Finally, sign up for your own FedEx/UPS account, and print the label and drop it off at a drop off location. UPS stores and FedEx Kinkos mark up their prices significantly from what you would get charged with your own account. You'll also usually have to pay a $5 pickup charge. If you want to make your overnight shipment as cheap as possible...follow these steps:
1.) Use your own account
2.) Make the box as small as reasonably possible, cut it down if necessary.
3.) Ship to a commercial (business) address when possible
4.) Drop off the box as a drop off location

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube SPS/LPS reef
cloakerpoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2008, 11:32 AM   #83
jasonak
Registered Member

Looking for info on shipping mushrooms?

Hi
Im looking for info on shipping mushrooms,do they need to be shipped over night? How much water etc? Anyone have a link?
thank you

Current Tank Info: 300 mixed reef /30 and 120 community fresh

Last edited by jasonak; 09/28/2008 at 11:53 AM.
jasonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2008, 07:09 PM   #84
spankey
Registered Member

I was hoping to add to this thread my shipping experience's. I have used UPS, and FedEx and usually next day is very costly. I have had frags damaged with both shippers. My buddy used to work at UPS and admitted that they will throw boxes across the shop and boxes would be dropped numerous times before delivery. Maybe they have since cleaned up the procedures but he was appalled at the way some people treat packages.

I have been since shipping via USPS Express. Its touchy on next day due to if the receiver is near an airport but most zip's qualify for next day express and it's at least half or more the cost of UPS or FedEx or DHL. Plus I notice when I drop the packages off at the USPS they get hand handled into a bag. The person told me that the Express packages are handled by hand, NO conveyors and such to climb and get bumped around. I have shipped over 50 packages via USPS express and only one has gotten re routed due to weather. All other packages got there on time and in perfect shape! I have shipped all seasons too. Mostly SPS and we all know how delicate SPS is.

I even ship in the U-Line perishable boxes. The USPS system allows shipping of cold blooded animals and I say they are snails. Never once had a second question asked!

So with that being said, I have seen allot of people trash the USPS system, but for the bang for the buck to the receiver and as long as the zipcode qualifies, you can't beat it. In my mind I would much rather pay $35 to ship next day if I am buying vs $70-$90 via UPS or FedEx and still get the same result. I have even shipped 10 frags weighing in at 4 lbs from PA to CA and it got there next day in perfect shape for $40!!!!!

Just my 2 cents!

On a restocking Frenzy ;0
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2008, 08:31 AM   #85
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

I do a lot of shipping through my local USPS, and i really think it makes a difference which location you use.

I live in a small town (<100 population), but work in metro detroit. If i send something priority from home, it adds a good day or two. If i get to the post office in the metro area, i can drop it off at 9 am and check it later that day and its already been shipped and processed at another post office 50 miles away.

What i am trying to say is, deal with a post office that is in a nice area and one that has A LOT of traffic. I use the one near the nearest the a largest malls in MI, it gets extreme traffic and because of this they are run quite well and rarely screw up.

I hope it never catches on, I like having the oldest tank on here and I don't have to worry about calcification, bio pellets, Vodka dosing, DSBs, Chaetomorpha (I don't even know what that is) Carbonite hardness and all of these other things many people worry about.

If I had to think about all of that stuff I would get a stroke.
My test kit came in a wooden box and the directions say to keep in a cool chariott.
I throw some food in the tank, wave hello to the fish and go out with my wife and have a nice glass of merlot with dinner.
Have a great day but most of all, have fun.

-PaulB

Current Tank Info: 27 Gallon DAS softy/fish reef
1DeR9_3Hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2008, 11:04 AM   #86
baobao
Registered Member.

I need to ship some fish that will be in transit between 24 to 48 hours.
As an example, let's say this fish is 7 inches.
Roughly, how do I determine how much water I need?
I am planning on using bag filled with 1/3 water and 2/3 oxygen.
Please provide insights, references on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

baobao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2008, 07:38 PM   #87
Jer@fishwonders
Registered Member

legal issues in shipping fish and corals

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this thread and while there is plenty of advice for shipping methods, I haven't seen any mention of the shipping policies for live animals. According to the Fedex website, shipping fish or corals requires approval from their Live Animal Desk, must be from a business to a business, and must use approved packaging. Alternately, according to the USPS, anyone shipping live animals must coordinate with the Expedited Services Office. Does anyone use these procedures? And regarding commercial shipments, I assume that websites shipping live fish or corals must follow the standards of the shipping industry, if there is anyone who has shipped commercially, can you explain the process?

Thanks.

human beings had always assumed they were the most intelligent species on the planet because of all they had achieved: the wheel, New York, wars and so on, while dolphins assumed that they were far more intelligent, for exactly the same reasons.

Current Tank Info: 20 gal. reef and 125 gal. shark
Jer@fishwonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2008, 07:59 PM   #88
spankey
Registered Member

Actually you don't have to qualify with USPS. I ship with them all the time. You are allowed to ship "cold" blooded animals as long as it does NOT require them to have special handling and they must be packaged not to damage. I have a PDF on my blackberry that I could copy and paste the article that the post master actually sent me personally. I deal with the post office directly for my work and they explained it to me over the phone one day. I tell them when I ship corals that they are snails and they don't question a thing!

I have also shipped via UPS and they are fine too. Fed Ex does state what you mentioned so I don't like to deal with them. And of course DHL has now stopped all domestic shipments so they are done too.

Hope that helps.

Spankey!

On a restocking Frenzy ;0
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 08:17 PM   #89
horsefarm5
Registered Member

Can any body tell me the best way to ship cheato?

horsefarm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 09:22 AM   #90
Dubge
Registered Member

I get my packaging at walmart, I buy 1 inch foam padding and cut it to size and line my box with it, I get the boxes through USPS, they are free and will also ship them for free to you, most common size I use is 6x6x6 and have shipped up to 9 small frags in one box. I use 1 ice pack or 1-2 10 hour heat packs.

You can ship USPS Express for around $25 and it is next day to most areas but make sure you check on that before shipping USPS.
If I am going to ship FedEx or UPS I will turn the box inside out so it doesnt say USPS all over it and tape it back up. Also make sure you tape up all the seems so it will minimize air getting in or out and causing temp fluctuations.

I will always replace frags if they do not survive shipping for what ever reason, I just ask that the buyer send me pictures and pays for the shipping again. Unless it is a coral I can not replace because it is one I am getting rid of and have no more or if it is one I only frag once and a while then they will have to wait until I can frag it again.

I have had problems with everyone I have shipped with at one point or another (FedEx, UPS and USPS) USPS problems were from shipping an item to someone and I didnt notice express was 2 days to that person so it was my fault there.

I refuse to do sat deliveries because 2 or the 3 times I have they had a delay and the person didnt get the coral/fish until Mon/Tue. If they really insist on it then I tell them after it leave my hands Fri night it is all on them if it doesnt make it.

I always ship fish with oxygen in the bag.

This is how I have been shipping for a few years and it has worked out well, I have had corals survive 3 days in shipping to Texas and even had a fish survive that I shipped out on a Fri and got hung up and the person didnt get it until Tue (that one was amazing)

Best way to ship chaeto is in a bag with a little water and priority mail

Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads, eat them up yum yum

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon cube - 40 Breeder
Dubge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 03:51 PM   #91
horsefarm5
Registered Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have never shipped before and I have a couplegallons of it growing and I hate to throw it away.

Unread 12/10/2008, 03:52 PM   #92
horsefarm5
Registered Member

Do I need heat packs in shipping from the north east?

Unread 12/10/2008, 04:14 PM   #93
Dubge
Registered Member

Yes if it is in the winter, remember it will be in a truck around your area for a good while as well as in the post office/fedex/ups building

Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads, eat them up yum yum

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon cube - 40 Breeder
Dubge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 04:25 PM   #94
horsefarm5
Registered Member

THANKS

Unread 12/22/2008, 08:06 PM   #95
cee
Registered Member

All good advice. The only thing I would add is I either float thin-branched delicate SPS on styrofoam or wrap it in a piece of cut-up bag to keep it from banging against the shipping bag walls and/or frag plug (if the glue joint fails) and busting up. They usually arrive intact and stay submerged in water in spite of the box getting turned in all different directions while being transported. Also, always provide some insulation between the heat/cold pack and the frag bags to prevent the water from coming into direct contact with the heat/cold pack and causing large temperature fluctuations.

Dave

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon rimless DBA
cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 05:36 PM   #96
Marsfrogie
Registered Member

I have never been able to get a straight response to this question. Is it allowable to use the USPS Priority Boxes to ship USPS Express mail in provided that the labeling is covered? I have been told that it is not allowed to use them for Parcel Post but nobody ever seems to know if they can be used for Express mail.

Marsfrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 06:29 PM   #97
ben&bobbi
Registered Member

i know last time i tried to re-use one, they made me pay priority mail. they told me it is in the agreement on using the flat rate boxes that they be priority mail only.

ben&bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2009, 06:26 AM   #98
Too Sweet
Registered Member

Does anyone in here ship to the US Virgin Islands? I prefer ppl in Florida since it is closer than other states

Current Tank Info: 55 gal.
Too Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 08:45 AM   #99
Shadowramy
Moved On

I have put together a "How To" on the shipping method I use. Most of what I do are suggestion from other on RC

http://www.shadowramysreef.com/index...id=9:frontpage

Shadowramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2009, 08:01 PM   #100
panic
Premium Member

I use the same method Shadowramy showed me with the addition of using clear packing tape around the seams on the inside of the styrofoam box and all the way around the outside to help keep the seal and to help keep it all together in the event of a crush. I wrap the heat pack in a double layer of butcher paper and never use more than one pack - it will burn the coral since almost none of the heat escapes the tightly sealed container.

panic is offline   Reply With Quote