Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2018, 08:28 AM   #1
jjwillia
Registered Member

Clownfish Advice

Hello,

I have had 2 perculas for about 3 weeks now. I believe they are juveniles at ~1.25 inches, both similar in size in a 20 gallon tank. They were fine for a few days and then started fighting. I figured that this was normal for them to figure out who would become the female and would slowly subside. It is now 2 weeks later and they are still at it. One hides in the rock most of the time but does come out to get chased around the tank. No real fin damage or anyting yet but the one looks a little rough from hiding in a rock all day. At the beginning I saw the one do the "quiver" occasionally but havent noticed recently.

Does this sound like a normal amount of time for those with experience? Should I remove one and take it back to the store? I really do not want to do that but also dont want the one to get killed. Any input is appreciated.

jjwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Rover88
Registered Member

They need to sort themselves out. Sounds like the one that is hiding is 'losing' that fight. Eventually they'll get their hierarchy going. Let nature take its course!

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 11:17 AM   #3
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I agree with the above just as long as your not seeing any fin damage and the fish is eating well.

Just out of curiosity though are these the only two fish in the tank? If so you might want to add another one to kind of cut the tension so to say. I've got a Tail Spot Blenny in with my breeding pair of Ocellaris clowns and they all get along swimmingly. (standard 20 gallon tank)

Last edited by AlSimmons; 01/24/2018 at 06:15 PM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

You could also try:
A) separate for 48 hours then reintroduce.
B) at 1.25 inches that's a little over juvenile, If you separate for more than 6 weeks, if not already female, this one will turn female, then reintroduce.

When we pair, we isolate one good specimen for 6-8 weeks, feeding very well, then move to a separate tank and add a smaller one. This works 8-10 times the first time....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

But that's only if they start hurting each other, or one is chased when seen and is hiding up in a corner, or in a small cave and such...

Unread 01/23/2018, 12:54 PM   #6
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I wonder if placing a mirror on the side of the tank would help, much like they do with tangs. If you have a small one handy it's definitely worth a shot. GL.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 03:37 PM   #7
jjwillia
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I know this is all part of it, I am just having difficulty drawing a line when it is too much abuse. I will try the mirror and continue monitoring.

There is also a bangai cardinal in the tank the one clown hangs out with. They are better buds than the clowns.

jjwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Oh, I like the mirror idea, easy and fast....