Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2015, 02:04 PM   #1601
dartier
Registered Member

I believe they are imported from the water column. You can even buy products intended to help corals regain their symbiotic zooxanthellae (AlgaGen’s product PhycoPure Zooxanthellae).

In the Anemone forum, one of the techniques they use for treating bleached anemones is to do a zooxanthellae transplant. Basically injecting a piece of a healthy pureed tentacle into a bleached specimen. It has shown promise for saving nem's that otherwise tend to perish.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 02:57 PM   #1602
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

More Zoox are a side effect of nutrient rich water and is what causes corals to Brown out

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 06:05 AM   #1603
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Yesterday morning I started to add the content of my skimmer back to the tank after having sat there for a week.
I drained the wet part from the skimmer in 3 doses 3 hours apart to make sure it was not too much of a shock to the fish.
I can't say I like the smell of sulfur in the morning, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the fishes.

The skimmer was turned off and the water turned slightly less transparent with the 0.4gallon (1.5 litres) of skimate back in there.
I scraped the glass as well to add to the mix and added a bag of GAC to a high flow area.

Last night the dinos took off the sand bed for their nightly swim in the water column and today right after the lights come on they all returned so it looks identical to how it did yesterday.

If something happens in the next few days or not, you will be the first to know.
After two days it's the same.
Dinos don't care.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 08:56 AM   #1604
mathman7728
Registered Member

i had small dino outbreak along with cyano....what worked for me was 1)added for life (fish, pods, snails, crabs, phyo, etc) 2) drier skimmate 3)killed the cyano with chemiclean....i think you need to kill the cyano first.....

mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 09:39 AM   #1605
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman7728 View Post
i had small dino outbreak along with cyano....what worked for me was 1)added for life (fish, pods, snails, crabs, phyo, etc) 2) drier skimmate 3)killed the cyano with chemiclean....i think you need to kill the cyano first.....
That's exactly what I did and I killed the cyanobacteria first with chemiclean

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 10:30 AM   #1606
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
What kind of pods

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 10:48 AM   #1607
Montireef
Registered Member

I didn't have any cianobacteria but used some amoxiciline to combat toxic ostreopsis (on the first of the five outbreaks). It didn't harm ostreopsis at all but killed all bacteria and ostreopsis turned non-toxic on the four following outbreaks.
It seems there is a relationship between toxicity and bacteria.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 12:10 PM   #1608
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
.....but killed all bacteria and ostreopsis turned non-toxic....
How could you tell that no toxins were produced?
How could you tell that all bacteria was dead?

Unread 08/24/2015, 02:56 PM   #1609
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnalnrsh View Post
That's exactly what I did and I killed the cyanobacteria first with chemiclean
Pretty much what I did except I chemicleaned the cynao last.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 03:00 PM   #1610
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
What kind of pods
Amphipods, copepods and I added pods+ from reef cleaners

Unread 08/24/2015, 03:28 PM   #1611
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
How could you tell that no toxins were produced?
How could you tell that all bacteria was dead?
Because no snails or fish died on the 2nd to 5th outbreaks (before treatment with antibiotics.

It is a supposition, amoxiciline is very efficient killing bacteria, especially ciano. Erithromicin as well.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 05:26 PM   #1612
Rickyrooz1
Acropora Nut

DNA,
I am having a dino issue in my frag tank. I have two small fish (Banggai Cardinalfish and Tailspin Blenny) and a few snails. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder with a 30 gallon long sump/refugium with chaetomorpha algae. I feed the tank two or three times a week and the nitrates read 0.00 (clear) on the Salifert test kit and 0.04 on the Hanna Checker. The tank is barebottom and I use a 8 bulb TEK T5 fixture for lighting. I didn't have this problem until recently when the nitrates dropped. Do dino's appear when the phosphate level is higher than the nitrate level or is there no correlation? What causes the din's to appear and what is the method to correct the problem?

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominated
Rickyrooz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 07:56 PM   #1613
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Amphipods, copepods and I added pods+ from reef cleaners
What kind of copepods? Sorry I'm asking, but just wondering if this is the swimming or rock crawling ones

Unread 08/24/2015, 08:00 PM   #1614
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I hate these damn dinos. My gfs tank has them now too. It was my fault. I put a coral in her tank from mine. Soo stupid.

If i were to restart a tank. How would I go about cleaning the rock? Do I dip in hydrogen peroxide, vinegar bath, leaving darkness for a month, etc...

And what to do with corals? I have maybe $200 in corals. How do I clean them?

Unread 08/24/2015, 09:34 PM   #1615
karimwassef
Registered Member

If you infected her tank, I bet her system wasn't very mature either.
Dinos are in every system already at some level. The coral probably didn't help, but it was going to happen anyway.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 10:29 AM   #1616
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
What kind of copepods? Sorry I'm asking, but just wondering if this is the swimming or rock crawling ones
Benthic, bottom dwellers.

Unread 08/25/2015, 10:34 AM   #1617
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrooz1 View Post
Do dino's appear when the phosphate level is higher than the nitrate level or is there no correlation? What causes the din's to appear and what is the method to correct the problem?
Dino infested tanks often get stuck at zero nitrates and phosphates.

Right now we are looking into plankton as a cure.
That mean we are adding to the bio diversity and lack there of goes the other way around.

Unread 08/25/2015, 10:37 AM   #1618
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Yesterday morning I started to add the content of my skimmer back to the tank after having sat there for a week.
I drained the wet part from the skimmer in 3 doses 3 hours apart to make sure it was not too much of a shock to the fish.
I can't say I like the smell of sulfur in the morning, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the fishes.

The skimmer was turned off and the water turned slightly less transparent with the 0.4gallon (1.5 litres) of skimate back in there.
I scraped the glass as well to add to the mix and added a bag of GAC to a high flow area.

Last night the dinos took off the sand bed for their nightly swim in the water column and today right after the lights come on they all returned so it looks identical to how it did yesterday.

If something happens in the next few days or not, you will be the first to know.
Quote:
After two days it's the same.
Dinos don't care.

After three days it's the same.
Dinos don't care.

Unread 08/25/2015, 10:37 AM   #1619
Dfee
Registered Member

Why do we think coralline recedes and turns white? Alk, mag, and ca all good. Dino's not necessarily on the parts that turn white

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 10:41 AM   #1620
Budman422
Registered Member

I upped the amount of food in mine about 6 months ago and also started dripping kalk. My dinos are gone. The refugium started growing better it has calurpa and cheato. And the pod population exploded. I have had more coral growth in the last six months that was probably better than the previous 3 years. I believe my balance of the system was off and dinos will out compete everything. I have not had to stir the sand bed for over 5 months and I get just a little film algea on the glass.

Budman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 11:58 AM   #1621
karimwassef
Registered Member

Coralline needs nutrients too - phosphate especially.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 12:15 PM   #1622
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfee View Post
Why do we think coralline recedes and turns white? Alk, mag, and ca all good. Dino's not necessarily on the parts that turn white
Calcification often stops in corals and they lose their color. Same goes for coralline.
Why this happens has not been proven yet but I find these causes to be likely:

Coralline repels dinos with their chemical defenses. If you place dry rock on top of the coralline, dinos will settle there.

The toxic soup can get to leathal levels. At lower levels I don't find it odd that life struggles.
I've had light gray M capricornis and elephant skin looking pale gray for months. You would swear they were dead. Same goes for the coralline. It's pale gray, not white and still alive.

Beneficial bacteria is kept down by the dinos.

Unread 08/25/2015, 12:22 PM   #1623
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, that's a really good question. It must be able to inhibit other organisms ability to uptake calcium, in my case after a year my doser was dialed back from 72ml/d ca, 62ml/d alk and 30ml/d mag to 30ml/d ca, 20ml/d alk and 0 ml/d mag and my mag got over 1500ppm. Coraline algae was receding and turning white and the couple sps corals I have weren't growing much.

Unread 08/25/2015, 02:49 PM   #1624
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Mine's doing that too. Dinos cause weird alk swings in my tank, the worse they get, the wider the swings. Ca and Mg are fine in my tank. Just a guess.

hth
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 02:59 PM   #1625
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Drive by updates as I'm still house and garden sitting. There's nothing like garden veggies is there?

I misunderstood the Montireef protocol and had been saving skimmate in a jar (from various people). I put 30mL of it in Mon and today, anyway. No reaction.

Stirred up a small area of lumpy sand to see if anything dire happened. Interestingly the lumps are back today. Cygni must be right about it being bacterial.

Something I'm doing may be very bad:
Slightly panicky because I'm getting that ominous yellow haze from the sandbed up about 5cm. Previously that's been the warning sign for a massive dino bloom. It's covered with pods.

Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote