Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2018, 01:02 PM   #1
samf08
Registered Member

Plumbing question for new setup

I just purchased a used acrylic 125 gallon tank as an upgrade for my 75. I'm trying to figure out the best way to plumb it for the sump. It has 2 half inch bulkhead holes. They are about an inch and half from the top of the tank. My first thought was to use one with an overflow box and the other for the return. However, they are too high so I don't think an overflow box will fit very well. Would it be ok to just use a strainer pointed down so that it is below the water line? That would keep the air and noise down I believe. The other question would be should I convert an older wet/dry into a fuge and use one of the bulkheads to go to the sump and skimmer and the other would go to the fuge. This was an unexpected purchase so I haven't done my usual research prior to purchase.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

samf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 06:39 PM   #2
salmon alley
Premium Member

Seems to me that if it's acrylic you can drill new holes wherever you'd like and either patch the 1/2" holes or install and cap-off bulkheads.

Current Tank Info: None currently, but researching for a new system
salmon alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 09:34 PM   #3
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would definitely drill more holes. If u can increase the size of the existing holes then that would be ideal because u don’t need 1/2” bulkheads for anything. I would drill 3 holes for eighther 1” or 1.5” bulkheads for the drains & setup a beananimal drain. I wouldn’t setup a tank without using a beananimal drain setup. Then I would eighther go over the back of the tank with the returns or drill another hole in each corner for a 3/4” bulkhead for the returns.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 04:41 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep.. Drill more holes and do a bean animal drain setup with a coast-coast overflow box..
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx

For a 125G 1" bulkheads would be just fine..I'd use 1.25" pipe outside the tank with 1" bulkheads/1" elbows inside..

1/2" holes are basically useless on a tank that size..Depending on their location you can either patch them or plug them or enlarge them for the 1" bulkheads..

Note: A 1" bulkhead does NOT use a 1" hole.. For a sch 40 1" bulkhead is usually like a 45mm hole.. (1.75" would be fine)..

With acrylic you can use a regular metal hole saw and do not need a diamond bit like a glass tank would..

Read that link above about the bean setup..

Unread 08/20/2018, 09:14 AM   #5
samf08
Registered Member

Very interesting stuff. My 75 was pre drilled so i never thought about this before. looks like I have a lot to read up on. The good news is that this is an upgrade so I have the time to do it right. Is there a preferred bean animal? Ie Eclipse L, ModularMarine, Ghost overflow...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

samf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 10:24 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Any of those with the "bean" type setup are just fine for the most part but the wider the internal overflow box the better as far as surface skimming capability..
Without sufficient surface skimming or surface turbulence you can get a visible protein slick (oil slick look) on the top of the water surface which is usually just not visually appealing..

The fact that you have already searched/identified those that have a bean system shows that you have the capacity to learn for yourself which means you will be just fine... Enjoy..
Ask questions as needed..