Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2012, 04:58 AM   #51
moliken
Registered Member

tridacnas are also called giant clams, regardless of the size

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 08:14 PM   #52
iwishtofish
Registered Member

After hop after hop after hop, I decided to try to box-in my clam. Got some rock from the sump, and ended up with this:

I also lowered my main lights a bit, since the clam is so low in the tank. I wish I knew what kind of PAR the LED fixture is delivering.

The clam looks ok still, although there is a section of mantle that is pulled in a bit - right front, in the picture below. Hoping that's not indicative of a problem.

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 03:43 AM   #53
Thepopo
Registered Member

Hmm I don't like the look of that mantel . Does it look like that all the time? Also by now that clam should have attached itself to the glass. And if she is expelling zoo then there is a real concern there. Should have more than enough light. Have u checked her for snails?

Thepopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 05:09 AM   #54
moliken
Registered Member

;personally, i wouldn't worry about attaching. it may never do that, or as is the case w/many maxis, there might be a small r ck already attached and that's enough for the clam to not need anything more. i have 3 that are in that situation. tridacs frequently expel zooanthellae [sp] for no reason that should be a cause fior alarm.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
Unread 05/03/2012, 08:56 AM   #55
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepopo View Post
Hmm I don't like the look of that mantel . Does it look like that all the time? Also by now that clam should have attached itself to the glass. And if she is expelling zoo then there is a real concern there. Should have more than enough light. Have u checked her for snails?
No sign of snails, fortunately. I've noticed the clam can retract any little part of its mantle that it chooses...I'm thinking now that the mantle may have been retracted there due to the tang swimming right by it constantly. That part of the clam ended up in the tang's lane of travel near the glass.

I'll watch again today. The clam is on its side at a 45 degree angle again, due to a hop. Constantly happening. Driving me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliken View Post
;personally, i wouldn't worry about attaching. it may never do that, or as is the case w/many maxis, there might be a small r ck already attached and that's enough for the clam to not need anything more. i have 3 that are in that situation. tridacs frequently expel zooanthellae [sp] for no reason that should be a cause fior alarm.
I sure hope it changes its mind and does attach. I always hear a clam knows best, but it seems it is always either ending up partially on its side, or at the edge of a rock ledge where the light is lower, and a hermit could fall on it. I really want to put it back up in that rock crevice, but it would likely just shove my whole rock pile over again!

Unread 05/03/2012, 11:47 AM   #56
Thepopo
Registered Member

Try feeding it every day for a 3 days, see if she settles down. You sure no fish are nipping at her?

Unread 05/03/2012, 01:22 PM   #57
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Try feeding it every day for a 3 days, see if she settles down. You sure no fish are nipping at her?
I only have one fish - a Kole tang - and I haven't seen it nip at the mantle. Once I thought it grazed on the shell close to the mantle, though.

Clam looks the same today, with just dawn/dusk lights on, so far.

Unread 05/03/2012, 02:45 PM   #58
Thepopo
Registered Member

Ah ok, well u will notice the eyes ripped out if she was nipping at her. Try a bit of phyto see if the clam settles down. It might be she is used to a higher amount of food in the water column.

Unread 05/03/2012, 03:14 PM   #59
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Ah ok, well u will notice the eyes ripped out if she was nipping at her. Try a bit of phyto see if the clam settles down. It might be she is used to a higher amount of food in the water column.
I feed Reef Chili pretty much daily. Are you recommending I target feed the clam?

The unextended part of the mantle is not really folded over or under as I hear is often the case with pinched mantle. Still can't figure it out, though. Do you think it looks like pinched mantle?

Unread 05/03/2012, 04:47 PM   #60
moliken
Registered Member

not pm to me. i'm pretty sure that if you target feed the i siphon the clam will immediately retract, and send everything through the e siphon. unless you can do it so gently that it creates extremely low flow. if you're determined to use more than Reef Chili daily, water column is best\ imo

Unread 05/03/2012, 05:27 PM   #61
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
not pm to me. i'm pretty sure that if you target feed the i siphon the clam will immediately retract, and send everything through the e siphon. unless you can do it so gently that it creates extremely low flow. if you're determined to use more than Reef Chili daily, water column is best\ imo
I'm glad to hear you don't see the pinched mantle - in fact, possibly with some embarrassment, I think I might have figured that out. Flow is high along the glass since I put those rocks there, and perhaps the clam is just avoiding haven't its mantle flap around.

I don't think a rock is adhered to the bottom of the clam, but I'm not sure. This is all I see when it leans to the side (bad pic):

I'll think on the feeding for a bit.

Unread 05/03/2012, 07:09 PM   #62
Thepopo
Registered Member

Reef Chilly is more of a Zooplankton type food. Get some straight Phytoplankton for the clam.

Unread 05/03/2012, 08:43 PM   #63
moliken
Registered Member

you got it right, Thepopo. i shoulda looked up reef chili. i still wouldn't feed clams, but if someone must do it, phyto is the way to go

Unread 05/04/2012, 02:07 PM   #64
iwishtofish
Registered Member

I know it must seem like I'm beating this to death, but I find the changes going on with the clam interesting. Today it is extending its mantle more (than usual?) in some spots, and then random curling parts in suddenly, even though no fish is around. It's almost acting like something is irritating it. Maybe an expert can tell something from today's pictures - perhaps not...

Unread 05/04/2012, 11:47 PM   #65
Thepopo
Registered Member

Might be a protozoa attack on her mantel.

Unread 05/05/2012, 05:26 AM   #66
moliken
Registered Member

maybe not. if you're prepared for a proper fresh water dip, you could do that, j i c it is early pm, but you neeeed to fwd correctly if you go that route. i would wait to see it the mantle retracts unevenly

Unread 05/05/2012, 07:27 AM   #67
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Might be a protozoa attack on her mantel.
Ugh - sure hope not. It's definitely different behavior, though.

Quote:
maybe not. if you're prepared for a proper fresh water dip, you could do that, j i c it is early pm, but you neeeed to fwd correctly if you go that route. i would wait to see it the mantle retracts unevenly
Ok, thank you - I will wait a bit more, then. I'll research the fw dip process. I think I can float a container in my sump to match temp.

Unread 05/05/2012, 09:31 AM   #68
moliken
Registered Member

u also need a ph probe and baking soda to eq the ph from tank to fwd. fwd is relatively stress-inducing, so research it well. stronger clams can w/stand wd easier thyan compromised clams

Unread 05/06/2012, 03:00 PM   #69
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
u also need a ph probe and baking soda to eq the ph from tank to fwd. fwd is relatively stress-inducing, so research it well. stronger clams can w/stand wd easier thyan compromised clams
Thank you. Hopefully it won't need to come to that. The clam was on an angle again this morning, but looking somewhat good, except for the possibly overextended mantle.

The LEDs just came on, and, as always, the clam got twitchy. The mantle seems to be retracting and extending equally, although one of the "folds" is still raised higher than it used to be. Almost as if a pointy vermetid were under there, but I can't see any such thing.

Last night:

Today:

Can a clam survive at a 45 degree angle if it still gets enough light?

Unread 05/06/2012, 06:26 PM   #70
moliken
Registered Member

survive, yes. thrive & grow nicely, no.
place some small rocks and small shells around him, or put some sand 1-2" in a tupperware container w/ some rubble, PUT IN THAT BEAUTIFUL CLAM, don't touch it for a week,. and let the guy attach to something, then take it outta the t'ware

Unread 06/04/2012, 11:24 PM   #71
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Well, about a month later, the clam seems to be doing well. Here's a fairly recent picture:

However, I am taking down my 75g tank, and the clam will be going into a 15g tank for an indefinite period. There will be a large coral banded shrimp in there, and a few hermits. The lighting will be PAR38 LEDs. I hope there are no problems!

Unread 06/05/2012, 04:34 AM   #72
moliken
Registered Member

good luck

Unread 06/05/2012, 08:24 AM   #73
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
good luck
Lol, that sounds like "good luck, cause you'll need it!" I'm hopefully just looking at a few months in there. I'll do constant small water changes.

Do you think the CBS will be a problem? Mine liked to hop on my elegance to try to steal food...do shrimp ever tend to bother clams?

Unread 06/06/2012, 04:58 PM   #74
moliken
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Lol, that sounds like "good luck, cause you'll need it!" I'm hopefully just looking at a few months in there. I'll do constant small water changes.

Do you think the CBS will be a problem? Mine liked to hop on my elegance to try to steal food...do shrimp ever tend to bother clams?
not my good luck at all. best of luck. don't know cbs and clams, but i never had a shrimp issue

Unread 06/07/2012, 03:22 PM   #75
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
not my good luck at all. best of luck. don't know cbs and clams, but i never had a shrimp issue
I guess we'll find out about the CBS! I'll update on the progress, in case anyone is interested. It will be a challenge to get the light right with a PAR38 LED spotting directly on the clam.