Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Automatt
Registered Member

Dwarf angels in reef tank

I know I Know everyone says angels nip at corals but has anyone has luck in a smaller reef tank with angels? I was at LFS today and say a potters angel beautiful fish (price not so beautiful but i got a gift card) so i was wondering if anyone has any experience.

The fish would be going in a 30 gallon with two clowns and a lawnmower blenny and two small allen damsels that are being terrorised by my clowns so i will prob be moving them to my g.f tank. As far as corals i have a bunch of differant sps, mushrooms, frogspawn, hammerheads, suncoral, and a RBTA.

let me know if you had luck with potters or any other angels i should look at everytime i go to the store angels are always the ones to catch my eye.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon rimless cube under a t5 fixture. Diy stand and sump.
Automatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2010, 08:00 PM   #2
IFbettas
Registered Member

My potters nips at almost every coral in my tank (sps, lps, and zoas). She doesn't cause any real harm, but it keeps some of my corals from extending their polyps.

Keep in mind that potters are not easy angels to take care of and need to go into a well established reef with lots of liverock. Personally, I feel that your 30 gallon would be too small. Also, if your clowns are attacking your damsels, odds are they would attack an angel too.

Unread 10/31/2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Automatt
Registered Member

My tank is well established with a lot of live rock all corals and inverts are thriving. its a 30 hex it is 24x12 . Do you have any suggestions for similar fish?

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon rimless cube under a t5 fixture. Diy stand and sump.
Unread 10/31/2010, 08:24 PM   #4
ezhoops
Registered Member

not really considered a dwarf but a mid-size. Black velvet /gray poma
mine doesn't touch any corals

Current Tank Info: Working on 60 cube, sicce 3.0 return pump, 29 gal sump with fuge,Bubble Magnus NAC6 Skimmer, Aquaticlife 4 bulb T-5 VHO, 29gal Rare Clown breeding
ezhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Automatt
Registered Member

i dont know if that wil do well in a 30 gallon tank kinda a large fish at 8 inches full crown lol

Unread 10/31/2010, 10:43 PM   #6
89Foxbody
Registered Member

Lemon Peels seem to be less inclined to nip corals, as well as Half-Blacks. But this is one of those things that really depends on the individual.

89Foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2010, 11:08 PM   #7
cubsFAN
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Foxbody View Post
Lemon Peels seem to be less inclined to nip corals, as well as Half-Blacks. But this is one of those things that really depends on the individual.
Not from my research. I'd suggest the african flame back angel or the cherub angel for that size tank. Almost all dwarf angels can be pretty aggressive. These two are two of the smaller of the centropyge. If you have expensive pieces you couldn't stand to lose, I wouldn't suggest getting a dwarf angel. I have an african flameback and have owned coral beauty and flame angels as well. None of them have caused significant damage, but have slowed growth on many lps and zoos and palys.

cubsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Automatt
Registered Member

Is there any fish that has the same size shape and coloration that can hold its own against a nippy cown.

Unread 11/01/2010, 03:21 PM   #9
GoingPostal
Registered Member

Different shapes but you could look into pseudochromis or dottybacks or a small hawkfish. Although honestly a pair of clowns in that size tank may always harrass anything else, I have a pair in my 24 gallon alone and they are pretty feisty even though they are still small and not spawning yet.

Unread 11/01/2010, 04:38 PM   #10
Wolverine
RC Mod

I agree with cubsFAN. The argi complex (cherubs, etc) is probably the best bet for what you're looking for. The biggest issue you might run into is that they can be terrors once established, and could turn around and start beating on your nippy clown.

Any of the dwarf angels are a risk in your tank. My advice whenever someone wants to put one in is that you need to have a plan to get it out if it doesn't work.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Automatt
Registered Member

Ya i will probably be tryin either a flame or pygmy (churbs) as for it beating on my nippy clown it will be interesting to watch what unfolds. i want a fish to maybe put clown into place i got two allen damsels yesterday thinking they dont look anything like clowns differant personality and all needless to say within three hours one as no tale and died other is in rocks. so i will be setting a trap and putting it into my g.f tank when i catch it

Unread 11/01/2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Sheol
Registered Member

Lemonpeels are LESS inclined to nip corals? REALLY???
Every aquarist who ever wrote a book says they are the absolute WORST choice for a Reef!

Matthew
Again, perplexed!

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 06:57 PM   #13
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Here is my experience:

Flame angel, loved SPS but nothing else.

Ive had this potter for a day, and so far it has not nipped anything.

Here is the BUT you were wating....you cant have your cake and eat it too. You need to decide, do you want to keep corals or do you want to keep fish? If its corals, keep away from known coral eaters like pygmys can be. If its fish (my case) just make sure everyone will get along and your good to go. I do have corals in the tank, but nothing i care about. Some different toadstools, leathers, GBTA, etc....all can be fragged/replaced if a fish goes nuts overnight.

I hope it never catches on, I like having the oldest tank on here and I don't have to worry about calcification, bio pellets, Vodka dosing, DSBs, Chaetomorpha (I don't even know what that is) Carbonite hardness and all of these other things many people worry about.

If I had to think about all of that stuff I would get a stroke.
My test kit came in a wooden box and the directions say to keep in a cool chariott.
I throw some food in the tank, wave hello to the fish and go out with my wife and have a nice glass of merlot with dinner.
Have a great day but most of all, have fun.

-PaulB

Current Tank Info: 27 Gallon DAS softy/fish reef
1DeR9_3Hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 09:41 PM   #14
Automatt
Registered Member

keep me posted on the potter. I really like those. this is why i wish i had to tank! lol

Unread 11/02/2010, 06:36 AM   #15
johnike
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheol View Post
Lemonpeels are LESS inclined to nip corals? REALLY???
Every aquarist who ever wrote a book says they are the absolute WORST choice for a Reef!

Matthew
Again, perplexed!
Probably meant false lemonpeel.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 09:01 AM   #16
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatt View Post
keep me posted on the potter. I really like those. this is why i wish i had to tank! lol
If you can:

1) QT
2) Find one thats eating
3) Find one that is not abnormally timid
4) Forgive it for doing what it wants (eating coral could happen)

Do it now! Great fish, probably the most 'personable' fish i have added so far.

I hope it never catches on, I like having the oldest tank on here and I don't have to worry about calcification, bio pellets, Vodka dosing, DSBs, Chaetomorpha (I don't even know what that is) Carbonite hardness and all of these other things many people worry about.

If I had to think about all of that stuff I would get a stroke.
My test kit came in a wooden box and the directions say to keep in a cool chariott.
I throw some food in the tank, wave hello to the fish and go out with my wife and have a nice glass of merlot with dinner.
Have a great day but most of all, have fun.

-PaulB

Current Tank Info: 27 Gallon DAS softy/fish reef
1DeR9_3Hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 09:15 AM   #17
scarolina01
Registered Member

I've had a pygme (cherub) angel for well over a year now. I haven't had any problems of him nipping at any of my corals. I've got zoa's, a torch, and sun coral. Though my opinion is each fish has their own personality. Becareful, take your time adding him to the DT, and have an exit plan if things don't work out for you.

scarolina01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 09:23 AM   #18
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

88.5% safe according to the data I collected.

Attached Files
File Type: xls Angelfish Project.xls (34.0 KB, 59 views)

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 09:31 AM   #19
Surf&turf
Registered Member

I have a flame, eats SPS, xenia (not a bad thing) and blue clove poylps.

Unread 11/02/2010, 04:23 PM   #20
guppie
Registered Member

I have had a pair of flames in my mixed reef (softies and LPS) for well over 2 1/2 yrs without a problem, they have never touched anything, I have also had a CB in the same take for over 5 years without a problem.

guppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 04:58 PM   #21
Sheol
Registered Member

That is a good posting. It depends on what you value. If you have a 1000+ dollars of Acans & Aussie Scolys, forget any Angelfish of any type ( Even Genicanthus are no longer entirely unblemished). If you want a more naturalistic or a fish-centered tank, go for the Angel. That simple.
But no promises, no guarantees here! Besides "Reef Safe" is a mythological concept. It doesn't exist IME.

Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 05:08 PM   #22
Automatt
Registered Member

Ya i hear ya on the reef safe being a myth. Everything in nature has its own personalityt and will do what ever they please. Angels are a deff risk but sometimes they are worth it and you have a fun, colorful fish other times they are a terror and you have to find them a new home. Good thing all the stores around me know me and are usually willing to adopt a fish and trade.

Unread 11/02/2010, 06:52 PM   #23
Wolverine
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
88.5% safe according to the data I collected.
Interesting project: just curious, what was the source of the data?
If it was polls or going through threads, the big confounding factor would be the tendency of people to not talk about things that aren't successful. The second potential confounder (no matter the source) would be the length of time a fish has been in a given tank. I've seen some flames and coral beauties, for example, that have been fine for 4 or 5 years, and then develop a taste for coral. If you catch those people at year 2, the fish will be labelled as safe.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 08:07 PM   #24
Automatt
Registered Member

If you go back to the original threat about it. he even says its just what people have said any were willing to talk about. I don't see why anyone would keep from being honest. Some people have luck some haven't its not like they are tryin to put a tang in a 10 gallon in which they will get ridiculed for it.

Unread 11/03/2010, 09:18 AM   #25
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Interesting project: just curious, what was the source of the data?
If it was polls or going through threads, the big confounding factor would be the tendency of people to not talk about things that aren't successful. The second potential confounder (no matter the source) would be the length of time a fish has been in a given tank. I've seen some flames and coral beauties, for example, that have been fine for 4 or 5 years, and then develop a taste for coral. If you catch those people at year 2, the fish will be labelled as safe.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...3#post15543043

and

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=4

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angelfish, coral, reef safe