Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2007, 01:22 AM   #1
marcrunner
Registered Member

are the expensive "heavy duty" bulkheads worth the price?

Trying to figure out if they are worth it or not. They will cost me quite a bit more on my 300g setup. Anyone ever had the cheap ones fail?

marcrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2007, 05:45 AM   #2
rpeeples
Premium Member

I recently setup a 240 and my main tank required 13 bulkheads. 9 for my closed loop system and 4 for my drain and returns.

I used all sch 80 BH and although they cost a bit more up front I would never reccomend anything less.

The same can be said for plumbing using True Union Ball valves and Union Valves. Theses are indespensible. It allows you to service or replace equipement without tearing down an entire section of plumbing.

The number one priority for me is for the tank to hold and maintain water and sch 80 BH give me this added security. I have had 1/2" regular BH crack on a auto-top off container and I can't imagine if this happened on a main tank.

Good luck with your 300.

Ron

rpeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2007, 07:14 AM   #3
nyvp
Registered Member

total waste of time and money. I used sch 80 through out my system and there is no need for it. We arent using the psi that the white fittings are rated for. Its all the usual overkill theory. Dont waste your money use the true union from lowes or savko and spend your money somewhere else.only thing I would buy sch 80 are bulkheads.

nyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2007, 08:37 AM   #4
nyvp
Registered Member

sorry didnt read well. Yes bulkheads are worth it fittings are not

nyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2007, 08:43 AM   #5
klasiksb
Registered Member

Never had a problem with regular cheaper bulkheads.

Unread 02/19/2007, 09:28 AM   #6
brad23
Registered Member

I don't know anyone who has had a problem with the sch 40 bulkheads ever.

Current Tank Info: 75g reef
brad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Janina
Registered Member

I used the "lightweight" bulkheads from savko.com instead of the schedule 80 and I had one crack on installation, one crack 5 months later for no apparent reason and third one leak shortly after that. I would NEVER use them again. The extra cost upfront is well worth the piece of mind and cost/hassle you would have later when they cheaper ones crack.

Janina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2007, 10:22 AM   #8
sjm817
On Yer left!

I've used the regular ones for years. Never had an issue either. If you are using a RR tank, that's all that will fit anyway. If you are drilling, then you can use the sched 80 with bigger holes.

Unread 02/19/2007, 11:46 AM   #9
hoover86
Registered Member

Sch 80 is not just for higher PSI ratings. The rubber seals on them are also better made. If you have a leak on a sch 40 bh it is pretty easy to overtighten it and cause problems. Sch 80 bh's are more durable and have thicker better seals, so they can take some more abuse and perform better.

As far as the rest of the fittings you use, to me that's up in the air. I went with sch 40 unions and have not been very happy with them. The rubber seals are very small, and they often pop out. IMO you can get by with sch 40's, but they take a little extra care and attention. They will deffinetly save you money in a larger system such as the one you are planning. Plumbing, however, especially in a closed loop, is something not easily replaced. Take careful planning in that especially. It would be no fun to drain half of a 300 gal tank if there were problems with a CL.

Unread 02/20/2007, 12:03 AM   #10
wonk
Registered Member

I'd vote for the best bulhead you can get (ie spears). bulkheads are arguably the most important pluming part you put on your tank because in order to change one out you need to drain! The price difference isn't even worth the second though IMHO. I used the standards until my most recent an will never go back.

wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2007, 10:06 AM   #11
mcrist
Premium Member

I have a bunch of the cheaper schedule 40 bulkheads that cracked in my old tanks. I would never use schedule 40 bulkheads to protect a large quantity of water or for holes drilled in the bottom of the tank.

I look at this way, if my 450 gallon display tank leaked I would probably be looking for a good divorce lawyer. I think that’s a small price to pay for the added security.

mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2007, 11:39 AM   #12
klasiksb
Registered Member

For those that have had sch. 40 bulkheads crack, has it been while glueing/screwing into it or long after?

I can't see why they would crack after the fact unless your beating on your plumbing.

Unread 02/20/2007, 11:52 AM   #13
stevebla
Registered Member

hayward bulkhead

I spent $22 for a 1.5 inch Hayward bulkhead and have no regrets it is the only hole in my tank so far and the gasket and quality are worth it.

stevebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2007, 12:00 PM   #14
mcrist
Premium Member

I've had them crack after months of use and during installation. Maybe I had some fittings too tight and then they finally gave way but I won't take the chance anymore.

Once I was working under the tank and bumped the fitting with my back and then I got soaked.

Having a leak that can cause thousands of dollars in damage just isn’t worth saving a few dollars. I used 15 heavy duty bulkheads and I should never need to replace them. Sure it costed more but I decided a long time ago that cheaper is almost never better in the long run.

Unread 02/20/2007, 12:02 PM   #15
mcrist
Premium Member

One note I never glue anything to my bulkheads. I want to be able to reuse them if I made a mistake.

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
Unread 02/20/2007, 12:31 PM   #16
marcrunner
Registered Member

WHat kind of bulkeads does savko use? are they the spears brand. They carry Hayward unions that seem to be good. Thanx for all of the feed back. I just priced all of the plumbing minus regular fittings and pvc . It comes in at right under 200$. Not bad for a 400 gallon system---Marc

marcrunner is offline   Reply With Quote