Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2015, 09:07 PM   #51
rovster
Registered Member

Well, I'm online. I was able to get about 1.5L of media in the reactor. Based on calculations of the other thread, I set the reactor to about 80gal/hr (5" diameter reactor). This flow rate seems really high. If I did it by eye I'd probably be running half as much flow through there. Anyone care to comment?

rovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 10:42 PM   #52
M007
Acro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
Next time, please book your flight with a layover in St. Louis so you can get some for me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
Soaking in RO now....
I was going to offer, the stuff is feather light, and out of the box takes up little space but as it turned out I had to go to 3 stores and only found 7 boxes Online is your best bet.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 11:27 PM   #53
pstank1
Registered Member

I looked at it online, but at about 3 times the cost of matrix I decided to go with matrix first. If it doesn't work like i hope, I'll look into getting some siporax.

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 08:30 AM   #54
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

I have been slowly changing out the rock rubble in my sump with MarinePure Biofilter Media Spheres. I think the round shape is great for allowing detritus to fall below where it can be siphoned during water changes. I'm just trying it out recently and will report back with any changes/observations.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 03:25 PM   #55
vmacisback
Registered Member

I know this is silly but I really am trying to understand what Siporax does here...Can someone give me the general overview of using this product in an SPS tank?. I use bio pellets and vinegar on a separate system with success but id like to hear about Siporax. Thanks

Current Tank Info: 105 Rimless
vmacisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 03:52 PM   #56
pstank1
Registered Member

The short version, it's a porous substrate to grow bacteria on. It's like adding 50 lb's of live rock to your tank for about a liter of material. It doesn't get used up and need replacement like bio pellets.

Unread 09/22/2015, 04:55 PM   #57
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Does bacteria clog the reactor like bio-pellets?

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 05:17 PM   #58
pstank1
Registered Member

You aren't growing an excess of bacteria to harvest through a skimmer. It's just incredibly porous, so the surface area is exponentially greater than what you'd get with a similar amount of live rock. You will only grow enough bacteria to handle your bio load, increasing and decreasing on its own as needed.

People are using reactors get get a controlled amount of low over the media. To optimize its ability to remove nitrates from the water. The reactors also help to keep detritus from settling on it and clogging the pores. You do not have to run it in a reactor though, it's just not as efficient as it would be if you did.

Unread 09/28/2015, 10:56 PM   #59
MichaelW
Registered Member

I have been thinking about getting some matrix from LFS and just making a basket out of eggcrate and chucking it in sump. Earlier it had been mention possible issues running media like this with bio pellets. Is there anyone here that is running both? Or can elaborate on the possible problems. I am not running pellets right now, as don't have the need, but the plan in future is to use the all in one biopellets when needed (see Kryz Tryc's incredible reef... That is why I am interested in them as a future option)

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 08:39 AM   #60
pstank1
Registered Member

I have mine sitting in filter socks in my sump at the moment. My tank is still cycling though. I don't think eggcrate alone is going to hold the matrix rocks. Some of them are small enough to fall through the openings. I'm going to keep mine in filter socks then build an eggcrate cage and set them in that. The filter socks will also help to keep detritus off of them.

Unread 09/29/2015, 10:04 AM   #61
tomae
Registered Member

I use 23 liters of siporax in my sump, not like forced flow. I like to think little passive water flow it will have less oxygen in it facilitating the formation of anaerobic bacterial cultures inside and not force debris into your pores.
I know that the amount is much higher than the SERA suggests, but I also know that it can do no harm

that rock in the first part of the sump was just to acclimate a fish, is not part of filtering

tomae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 10:11 AM   #62
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
I have been thinking about getting some matrix from LFS and just making a basket out of eggcrate and chucking it in sump. Earlier it had been mention possible issues running media like this with bio pellets. Is there anyone here that is running both? Or can elaborate on the possible problems. I am not running pellets right now, as don't have the need, but the plan in future is to use the all in one biopellets when needed (see Kryz Tryc's incredible reef... That is why I am interested in them as a future option)
Egg crate will not work on the small size rocks.

This is just a place to growth bacterias. The concentration will change depending of the tank nutrients availability. If the bio pellets take it all then you will have a low bacteria population in the matrix. But why it will harm something that is an artificial rock.

I have all my matrix in a HOB fuge in bags. My nitrates after some months went to undetectable levels. I am adding now a home made media reactor to increase the amount of Matrix. Excess will not affect the system. Bacterias will be more spread and I have an extra layer of protection.

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 03:56 PM   #63
M007
Acro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomae View Post
I use 23 liters of siporax in my sump, not like forced flow. I like to think little passive water flow it will have less oxygen in it facilitating the formation of anaerobic bacterial cultures inside and not force debris into your pores.
I know that the amount is much higher than the SERA suggests, but I also know that it can do no harm

that rock in the first part of the sump was just to acclimate a fish, is not part of filtering
Thank you tomae, I was looking for a pic of Siporax installed in a sump, and yours looks exactly like what I was thinking about. I will construct an egg crate box for mine as planned.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 06:24 PM   #64
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomae View Post

NIce sump!!!! What's that tank on the far right with the treys stacked in it? Behind the big A sticker?

Unread 09/29/2015, 06:39 PM   #65
tomae
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fessoclown View Post
NIce sump!!!! What's that tank on the far right with the treys stacked in it? Behind the big A sticker?
I think you should be talking about my balling container

tomae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2015, 06:38 AM   #66
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

Of course.... I see now that it's tape indicating levels and not treys... thanks.

Unread 09/30/2015, 06:02 PM   #67
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

What do you guys think about these block. Could be stacked vertically so no detritus collects.

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Unread 09/30/2015, 07:22 PM   #68
pstank1
Registered Member

There are some concerns that it may leach aluminum into the tank, although it is most likely in an inert form. A bigger concern to me (i looked into using that first) is that it apparently gets pretty brittle after a while. I can be a bit like a bull in a china shop when i'm working in my sump, so I didn't want to run the risk of breaking it up.

I think it would also be difficult to keep clean unless you have plenty of mechanical filtration in place. Yes, you can pull it out and wash it off in tank water, but that's not going to clean out the small pores.

Unread 10/01/2015, 04:52 AM   #69
SeargentSlice
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745 View Post
I have been slowly changing out the rock rubble in my sump with MarinePure Biofilter Media Spheres. I think the round shape is great for allowing detritus to fall below where it can be siphoned during water changes. I'm just trying it out recently and will report back with any changes/observations.

I have bin running the spheres for quite awhile well over the recommended amount and have not noticed any reduction in No3. Started carbon dosing and pulled no3 from 50 to 10 in 3 weeks I think carbon was the missing link.

Current Tank Info: 150XH SPS, Alpha 170, Lumenbright, 250 Radium / ATI Blue Plus
SeargentSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 07:54 AM   #70
naterealbig
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
What do you guys think about these block. Could be stacked vertically so no detritus collects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentSlice View Post
I have bin running the spheres for quite awhile well over the recommended amount and have not noticed any reduction in No3. Started carbon dosing and pulled no3 from 50 to 10 in 3 weeks I think carbon was the missing link.
Just curious guys, is there any official data on these products? It seems the key to denitrification is pore size; too large, and you will not grow the anaerobic bacteria you need to process nitrates. The beauty of Matrix and Siporax is that you don't need a carbon source.

Unread 10/01/2015, 08:10 AM   #71
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

If memory serves me right, I believe D2Mini uses this on his set-up with success. His thread is in reef discussion. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ghlight=d2mini

tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 11:37 AM   #72
Mael
Registered Member

Just wanted to confirm on the flow amount to reactor size breakdown, I assume those are inner diameter measurements?I have .5L of matrix in a mesh bag directly below the drain pipe in the sump but also have a nextreef smr1 laying around I can use to add more, since I ran a lot less LR per gallon this build I am fighting nitrate issues with carbon dosing now but want a permanent fix. Plan on filling the reactor just confirming the diameter so I know what pump to pair with it.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 11:51 AM   #73
KingTriton1
Moved On

I personally wouldn't have matrix media inside a reactor. The reason being is what if the pump dies or the power goes off then all that bacteria inside the reactor will die.

I have my media placed in-between a baffle with a Tunze return pump which utilizes the Tunze back up SLA battery for just for this specific reason.

Also, If you put matrix inside a media bag directly below the drain pipe you will likely incur a build up in nitrates. I find it best to place the media after a filter sock and protein skimmer.

KingTriton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 01:58 PM   #74
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
Well, I'm online. I was able to get about 1.5L of media in the reactor. Based on calculations of the other thread, I set the reactor to about 80gal/hr (5" diameter reactor). This flow rate seems really high. If I did it by eye I'd probably be running half as much flow through there. Anyone care to comment?

How about adding a very small layer of biopellets to the reactor for a bit of "carbon dosing" to help feed the bacteria?

Unread 10/01/2015, 02:03 PM   #75
Mael
Registered Member

hm, the bag has been there for 3 months with no buildup in that area, and nitrates have been going down, although not quickly as I have a minimal amount in there. Not sure why having the bag in direct line of water flow would cause anh increase in nitrates. Several others in here are running matrix in a reactor, there is even a guide for flow rate per reactor size....when power goes out water just sits in the reactor with no flow, same as if it was in the sump and power goes out.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote