Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:12 AM   #26
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
Fuge is looking great, is that the mars hydro light? I've been eyeing one lately, looking forward to seeing how it does for you.
Thank you sir! It's actually the GalaxyHydro model. Very similar to the Mars unit. Seems to be working great so far. I like that it has 2 cooling fans and the 120* optics give a good spread. My chaeto seems to be really happy and PH has been very steady.

MMOORE0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 10:52 AM   #27
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Here is one of the corals that I got while in Orlando last weekend. I believe that it's an Acropora Desalwii but I'm unsure.

If you look at this photo of a Desalwii from Indonesia, source: Veron (2000), it kinda resembles my coral a little. Really hard to tell.* ORA believes that the PearlBerry is a Desalwii but most likely from the Philippines

Im excited to see this one grow out and develop.

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:07 PM   #28
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Finally got my ATO reservoir completed tonight. Well mostly completed.

The top edge is rounded over for comfort and aesthetics

Removable top lid for access to pump:

Installed next to sump:

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The only thing I wish was that I could have made it bigger but was space limited. It holds about 7 gallons of RO/DI water and has a 1/4" bulkhead for easy filling. It's made from 1/4" cast acrylic with a sleek white 1/4" top.

Unread 11/08/2017, 02:44 AM   #29
kainic
Registered Member

Looks very promising Matt (another Matt on my subscribe list!). Love that desalwii, I lost mine due to AEFW grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 09:12 AM   #30
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
Looks very promising Matt (another Matt on my subscribe list!). Love that desalwii, I lost mine due to AEFW grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Thanks Sergi! I appreciate your kind words.

Unread 11/11/2017, 12:52 PM   #31
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

**UPDATE 11/11

Saturday Test Day!

SG: 35
Ph: 8
No3: 0
Po4: 0
dkh: 7
Ca: 450
Mg: 1425
Avg Tmp: 77.63

Notes: I tested No3 three times to double check the number. Twice with the Nyos kit and once with an API. Every time it registered 0. I also tested P04 twice with the Nyos kit. I should pick up a Salifert or Red Sea phosphate kit to double check my numbers. Certainly there is not 0 nutrients in my system. The refugium is growing nicely so between that and what the skimmer is pulling out my kits are reading 0. I'm going to try and up my feeding a little more this week. I would like to run between 2-5 No3 and between 0.05 and 0.10 P04.

This week my Triton Core7 supplements will be here so I will begin that system. I still don't have a dosing pump so I'll be manually dosing. It should be ok at first as it'll be very small doses. I'll try to get a pump within the next few weeks. I also have a Hanna dkh checker coming.

Lighting: I posted last week about wanting the tank to be a little bit more blue than what the 20K Radium is producing. I ordered a Kessil A80 LED light which arrived on Monday and I'm not overly pleased. To be honest, I'm not sure what I was expecting for a 15W LED.

PRO'S:
  1. Good color spectrum. The color spectrum is nice and the single adjustment knob is easy to dial in the exact color that you want. I wish each channel was controllable but that's OK
  2. Form. It's a very sexy little light. Much nicer looking than their can-spot models
  3. No noticeable disco effect

CON's: It's hard to call these con's as the light is designed for a certain application and I'm pushing those boundaries
  1. The light is not very bright. My Par38 LED bulb from eBay that I have on my Cichlid pond is brighter than this fixture.
  2. Not great spread. I have the light 12" above the tank and the light seems to fall off really drastically away from center
  3. Price. I think $130 is pushing the price point for this type of fixture. With the AI Prime HD now only $199 I hope that the A80 will come down in price a little.

Here is a photo of the light on the tank. I have the color set just above full blue

Since this fixture hasn't really accomplished what I was looking for, I've decided to pick up a T5 retro kit from BRS and I'm going to make a floating canopy out of modular aluminum tube from EzTube. Stay tuned for build photos discussion of the light rack. Once the light rack is complete, I'll move the A80 over to my cube tank, which it'll be much better suited.

Tags
acrylic, nano, sps