Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2012, 02:30 PM   #1
beeven
Registered Member

Never Cycled

This question might have already been asked and answered on here, but I wasnt able to come up with anything through my searches. Sorry if this is a redundancy.

I'm in the process of re-setting up my 200G mixed reef. Its been up and running for almost a month now but the cycle never happened. My water parameters from day one: Temp 79, PH 8.1, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5-10ppm. At Day 28 my readings are exactly the same.

I used about 100lbs of my old dead "live" rock and seeded it with about 40lbs of new cured live rock. Protein skimmer has been running since week 1.

Does this mean I'm ready to add a small amount of cleaners to the party?

beeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 02:32 PM   #2
yh1185
Registered Member

Did you add any fish food, or a raw shrimp? You need something in the tank to generate some ammonia for the cycle to occur.

Unread 06/01/2012, 02:45 PM   #3
beeven
Registered Member

I didn't. I had a couple of dead beetles and a moth in the tank when I was filling it with my RO/DI so I figured that would start up the party. But perhaps my filtration is too much. My protein skimmer and refugium set up are slightly over kill for my tank. I designed it that way on purpose because I'll be growing SPS and wanted super clean water. It worked for me when I had it running in the years past - it was a very successful tank.

Do you think the 5-10ppm Nitrates is coming from the cured live rock thats in there now? Does that make sense?

I'll see about ghost feeding it tonight a little bit food. Or I might pee in it a little, see if that starts off the Ammonia.

beeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 02:50 PM   #4
yh1185
Registered Member

erm i wouldn't pee in it... (not sure if that was a joke) I'd take out the bugs and whatever. doesn't belong in a tank. Ghost feed fish food, or put a raw shrimp and let it degrade in the tank. You should see a large ammonia spike from either method.

Unread 06/01/2012, 02:54 PM   #5
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

i would say your done, i have set up many tanks using LR and i never get large NH3 spikes...add your cuc!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Empty Bottles
Registered Member

I'm not joking I was wondering if I could pee in my tank to start the cycle too. Well only halfway joking.

Current Tank Info: 100G Reef
Empty Bottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Donkeykong
Registered Member

Since you used some live rock and there was very little to nothing else producing waste you probably are cycled, I would add a small amount of snails and a few hermits and then test your water again after a few days.

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 06:54 PM   #8
thegrun
Registered Member

A quick test would be to pour in a teaspoon of pure ammonia (available at your local drug store) and take readings. It should drop to zero in a day or so, if not wait for the ammonia and nitrites to drop back down to zero.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 08:45 PM   #9
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Bottles View Post
I'm not joking I was wondering if I could pee in my tank to start the cycle too. Well only halfway joking.
I guess you could....might become a habit though. It could escalate into far worse as well.

Better to just add a dead shrimp and see what happens. Ammonia from the store is ok, just be sure it is 100% with no surfactants.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote