Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Felstmiester
Registered Member

Angry Starting again

Hi all. Never posted on here. But been browsing for years. I’m starting again with my fowlr system that I’ve had up and running for the last 10 years. Only starting from scratch after loosing pretty much all my livestock to my ever growing bamboo shark that I had pretty much from a baby. He pretty much gradually ate anything and everything so I moved him on to a bigger and better place and then lost heart.

The tank ( 6x2x2 ) has laid dormant for months. I’ve now bleached my live rock ( I have so much. The whole back of the tank was rock scraped ) I’m only going to use half in the new set up.

My main question is I have spots on the front of the tank that aren’t really visible when tank is full but now it’s empty it’s bugging me.

Can they be got at or do they stay??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B011CB2-F43E-46A4-BEB3-C4DBF9AF3635.jpg (34.3 KB, 31 views)
Felstmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 02:30 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Glass? Acrylic?

Its most certainly easier to address now when there is nothing in the tank vs after it gets filled with water/fish/rock,etc...

Unread 03/19/2019, 04:57 PM   #3
cvrle1
Registered Member

If it is glass, take some white vinegar, spray the spots and scrape of with razor blade. Wash it off and call it a day. Not sure about acrylic, as I never had acrylic tank, but I am sure someone will chime in about steps.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Felstmiester
Registered Member

Sorry should’ve said. It’s glass. It’s still empty so will give the white vinegar and razor blade a go. Done some rock scraping this afternoon. To me it’s minimal but still looks good. I’ve been used to the whole back covered for the past god knows how many years. So now I’ve got loads of rock left over and not sure if I want to stick a load in the sump. After having a deep sand bed in there for many years and getting a spike I’ve ran it empty with cheato for the last couple of years with no problem.

Looking forward to starting a fresh.

Unread 03/20/2019, 12:13 PM   #5
sp4zzy
Registered Member

For glass I'd second the vinegar and razor. You can also try a damp sponge and salt as an abrasive if there's still residue after scraping - it will help scrub gubk off without scratching the glass.

sp4zzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Felstmiester
Registered Member

Sorry should’ve said. It’s glass. It’s still empty so will give the white vinegar and razor blade a go. Done some rock scraping this afternoon. To me it’s minimal but still looks good. I’ve been used to the whole back covered for the past god knows how many years. So now I’ve got loads of rock left over and not sure if I want to stick a load in the sump. After having a deep sand bed in there for many years and getting a spike I’ve ran it empty with cheato for the last couple of years with no problem.

Looking forward to starting a fresh.