Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 09:25 AM   #176
cksss
Registered Member

And a FTS with the reds. There is also a new red ruby dragonet in the photo (In the middle cave!)

cksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 10:45 AM   #177
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The new reds are gorgeous, cksss! I've never seen the one on the top left. What is it?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 10:55 AM   #178
vlangel
Registered Member

I also have never seen the red on the top left. Where did you get it? The vibrant reds with the green and purple is just beautiful. What is the purple? I would love to have some of that in my seahorse tank.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 05:07 PM   #179
taricha
Registered Member

Dang that's a nice shot.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 07:05 PM   #180
cksss
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

The red on the top-left is a Solieria spp macro, or more commonly referred to as 'Red Bamboo'. It can be commonly found in LFS and farms in Singapore. More info @ http://www.algaebase.org/search/spec...species_id=437

The whole bunch of purples are Ochtodes!

Unread 04/21/2018, 07:09 PM   #181
taricha
Registered Member

I couldn't find anywhere in the thread you talked about the rocking blue sponge.
Got any info to share on that?

Unread 04/21/2018, 07:45 PM   #182
cksss
Registered Member

Its a new additional, no idea if it will survive because it might not have been feeding well. I've been alternating between PyhtoFeast and PhytoGold-M, but i read from somewhere that sponge needs finer food in the ~0.5µm range

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
I couldn't find anywhere in the thread you talked about the rocking blue sponge.
Got any info to share on that?

Last edited by cksss; 04/21/2018 at 09:37 PM.
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:28 PM   #183
Subsea
Registered Member

While I have been a ghost following your thread, I have very much enjoyed and learned from your experiences.

Keep it coming.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 11:21 PM   #184
cksss
Registered Member

Hi Subsea, i learnt a great deal from your posts too
The chemical dry analysis you have shared influenced the kindof chemical i'm dosing today! But i dare not dose more Potassium than Nitrogen though it seems to be present in larger percentage in the red.

Looking forward to more of your informative posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
While I have been a ghost following your thread, I have very much enjoyed and learned from your experiences.

Keep it coming.

Unread 04/22/2018, 07:28 AM   #185
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cksss View Post
Hi Subsea, i learnt a great deal from your posts too
The chemical dry analysis you have shared influenced the kindof chemical i'm dosing today! But i dare not dose more Potassium than Nitrogen though it seems to be present in larger percentage in the red.

Looking forward to more of your informative posts!

Thank you for the compliment. I am amazed at the beauty of how intricate these natural systems are and how they work. I am here to have fun, discover and share.

As I have three monoculture tanks, I have several nutrient cocktails that I presently use. No one formula yet.

Tell me more about your chemical dosing.

Unread 04/23/2018, 05:05 AM   #186
cksss
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for the compliment. I am amazed at the beauty of how intricate these natural systems are and how they work. I am here to have fun, discover and share.

As I have three monoculture tanks, I have several nutrient cocktails that I presently use. No one formula yet.

Tell me more about your chemical dosing.
The only parameter i'm able to measure is NO3 and I've been dosing these twice a week based on the recommended dosages written on the bottles. Have also added 'trace element' recently to make-up the other minerals since I hardly perform water-change.

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:34 AM   #187
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Wow cksss, that FTS is amazing. The red really pops and the ruby red dragonet is an awesome addition as well. I look forward to more as well

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 07:09 AM   #188
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nannochloropsis is the smallest phytoplankton, and great for sponges. Luckily, that sponge is photosynthetic, so it can make it's own food too. Another thing to consider is silicate, which is to sponges what calcium is to corals - building blocks. I dosed sodium silicate for my sponges and it really helps. Best of luck with it!

Unread 04/23/2018, 09:52 AM   #189
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
The only parameter i'm able to measure is NO3 and I've been dosing these twice a week based on the recommended dosages written on the bottles. Have also added 'trace element' recently to make-up the other minerals since I hardly perform water-change.

How do you make up for calcium? In the formula that Florida Aqua Farms used they included B12.

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:42 AM   #190
cksss
Registered Member

Thank you !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Wow cksss, that FTS is amazing. The red really pops and the ruby red dragonet is an awesome addition as well. I look forward to more as well
Is there known aquarium product that contains sodium silicate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Nannochloropsis is the smallest phytoplankton, and great for sponges. Luckily, that sponge is photosynthetic, so it can make it's own food too. Another thing to consider is silicate, which is to sponges what calcium is to corals - building blocks. I dosed sodium silicate for my sponges and it really helps. Best of luck with it!
I dose Caribsea's purple up occasionally, do you think thats a good strategy?
Ah, im afraid B12 is lacking in my tank, its not present in the trace element and neither do i perform water change :X
Quote:
How do you make up for calcium? In the formula that Florida Aqua Farms used they included B12.

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:54 AM   #191
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I just got dry sodium silicate from chemicalstoredotcom. I dissolve it in some RO/DI water and pour it in a high current area. I don't know of an aquarium specific product.

Unread 04/24/2018, 08:23 PM   #192
Subsea
Registered Member

Sponges are more specific in their requirements.

However, I do feel that with respect to macro algae’s, Florida Aqua Farms is the “gold standard” with respect to algae nutient uptake,

Unread 04/25/2018, 08:33 PM   #193
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you !

Is there known aquarium product that contains sodium silicate?

Ah, im afraid B12 is lacking in my tank, its not present in the trace element

Brightwell Spongexcel is silicate, and I'm liking it. Hanna makes an Si checker that works great too.
I think Fla aqua farms also sells an Si liquid.

Some fish foods have b12 added.

Unread 04/27/2018, 05:05 AM   #194
Subsea
Registered Member

Chsss,
Yes to purple up introducing calcium. Also, in looking at your display tank, no one can dispute success with your gorgeous display.

IMO, a sandbed of aroggonite will do the same as PURPLE UP, particularly when pH drops during lights out.

Not that your tank needs it, but a calcium reactor would be compatiable with a mixed garden lagoon tank.

In any case, kudos to your display tank.

Unread 04/27/2018, 06:52 PM   #195
cksss
Registered Member

Brightwell is popular brand here but not the Spongexcel product, unfortunately. Would love to get from Florida Aqua Farms too, but i think there are the complication with importing 'fertilizer' from overseas Hence, it is probably easier if it is labelled as aquarium product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
Brightwell Spongexcel is silicate, and I'm liking it. Hanna makes an Si checker that works great too.
I think Fla aqua farms also sells an Si liquid.

Some fish foods have b12 added.
Quote:
Sponges are more specific in their requirements.

However, I do feel that with respect to macro algae’s, Florida Aqua Farms is the “gold standard” with respect to algae nutient uptake,
Thank you for your kind words Subsea
Lol! I did not have a good track record with the reds though.
I'm using Arag-alive aragonite live sand btw! I guess the calcium is good 'dosage' is good

Quote:
Chsss,
Yes to purple up introducing calcium. Also, in looking at your display tank, no one can dispute success with your gorgeous display.

IMO, a sandbed of aragonite will do the same as PURPLE UP, particularly when pH drops during lights out.

Not that your tank needs it, but a calcium reactor would be compatiable with a mixed garden lagoon tank.

In any case, kudos to your display tank.

Unread 05/08/2018, 06:46 AM   #196
cksss
Registered Member

May 2018 FTS

How many types of green macros can you identify in the following photos?

The reds are still doing ok, can't say they are doing growing well. Heres a photo of a fat Mandarin pooping on it

And a zoomed out view of the FTS. The macroalgae tank is surrounded by more greens.

And lastly, the evening view the fishes and critters get to enjoy.

Unread 05/08/2018, 01:20 PM   #197
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ah, the penthouse view…

Great FTS cksss! I count five greens, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more.

Looks great! Thanks for posting. It looks like we've entered the quiet time on RC, when a lot of us are getting outside, and slacking on our tanks.

Unread 05/08/2018, 05:36 PM   #198
vlangel
Registered Member

Simply magnificent cksss! The area surrounding the tank is equally stunning.

Yes Michael, outside pursuits are in full swing but I still drop in on RC to see if you have done anything new! I don't want to be the last one the see the newly painted mangrove or the tank getting filled again.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 12:52 AM   #199
cksss
Registered Member

Thank you! thats correct, 5 major green macros and probably some hitchhikers which i havent seen.

Have a great Spring holiday! I wish there were four seasons in where I'm located too. Its always summer here Good for growing macros though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Ah, the penthouse view…

Great FTS cksss! I count five greens, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more.

Looks great! Thanks for posting. It looks like we've entered the quiet time on RC, when a lot of us are getting outside, and slacking on our tanks.
Thank you! Yes I'm looking forward to the new thread/updates from Michael too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Simply magnificent cksss! The area surrounding the tank is equally stunning.

Yes Michael, outside pursuits are in full swing but I still drop in on RC to see if you have done anything new! I don't want to be the last one the see the newly painted mangrove or the tank getting filled again.

Unread 05/11/2018, 06:46 AM   #200
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Wow, that is a stunningly beautiful tank, as beautiful as any reef tank, IMHO. Amazing! Thanks for sharing cksss!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote