Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Pics of Live rock/sand

Here are some pics of the first shipment of live sand/rock I picked up from the Lexington Bluegrass Airport on Thursday.

The rock on the right seems to have the most life that I have seen probably because it has more nooks and crannies then the other two rocks do. There is either a mantis or pistol shrimp in there clicking away. It was the first rock I added and it started clicking immediately so no question about which rock the clicking is coming from. I have also seen, at least, one small gorilla crab...perhaps two. Assuming it's a gorilla crab because it looked awfully hairy. One small porcelain crab...I could only see a small portion of the crab but I saw it's little fans waving which gave it away as a porcelain crab. Another small crab that I couldn't get an ID on because I only saw a very small portion of it, but it wasn't a gorilla crab (no hair). Maybe another porcelain or a rock crab?

Anyhoo,I have plenty of small sponges, tunicates, some small bi-valves, a couple decent-sized hermits, some snails, some macroalgae, etc. Very nice rock.

I have found a couple whelks...not sure if they are predatory or not. Here are some pics. The first I do think is predatory based partly on color and also that it was found very near a destroyed little bi-valve that had been doing well earlier.

First whelk that I do think is predatory:

A pic of the same whelk before removal from aquarium and next to the scene of the crime...the destroyed bi-valve. The bi-valve which was fine the night before had it's top removed exposing it's insides. The destroyed bi-valve is in the center with the whelk to the left of it.

A pic of the other whelk that I am unsure if it is predatory or not.

Both whelks have been removed and are in isolation pending the outcome of their trials

Anyone know what the red things in this pic are? They cover a portion of my live rock. The thing behind it I'm pretty sure is some type of sponge.

And some macroalgae that I believe is caulperpa racemosa.

And Benson, aka BennyBoy, relaxing on the shelf beneath the tank.

Can't wait to see what the second shipment of this rock looks like! Getting ready to do my first water change. Water is just barely above 1ppm ammonia.

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Just picked up the second shipment of live rock and the critters (cucumber, snails, serpent star, etc). I have to catch my breath first before setting everything up. Lugging those boxes up two flights of stairs is a good workout!

I'll post pics when everything is set up!

Unread 03/25/2012, 08:29 PM   #3
daviesri
Registered Member

Beautiful live rock. Was it shipped in water? I am curious to see if all of the sponges survive.

daviesri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 08:55 PM   #4
AlexS95
Registered Member

Whenever I picked up rock it was fully submerged.

AlexS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesri View Post
Beautiful live rock. Was it shipped in water? I am curious to see if all of the sponges survive.
Yes, the rock is shipped in water. I actually got a small goby as a hitchhiker. It's very tiny. I got way more rock then I need so part of the rock will be moved to a secondary nano tank when it is set up. I must replace the tank first as I chipped it yesterday I got several sponges. All handled shipping well except for one (which I did not put in the tank as it was falling apart). My brother-in-law claimed one of the sponges for his aquarium. Still have four nice-sized sponges in my tank. Also, got some nice gorgs. I think my favorite hitchhiker was the decorator arrow crab...he's just so funny-looking with all the little bits of macroalgae stuck to his legs and head. I'll have to keep an eye on him when I get corals. Don't want him ripping apart corals to decorate himself. I wouldn't mind him rearranging the corals a bit but don't want him ripping them apart. Never had a decorator crab so we shall see.

Unread 03/29/2012, 06:03 AM   #6
daviesri
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of interesting hitchhiker from what I have read from you and others

daviesri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2012, 10:25 AM   #7
aklee987
Registered Member

Very nice. Have you found a positive ID on the possible whelks?

Hopefully when I order from here, I'll get a cat as well. Preferably a reef safe one.

aklee987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Delprincipe
Registered Member

How fast did your tank cycle with your first shipment?

Delprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delprincipe View Post
How fast did your tank cycle with your first shipment?
Around a week, I think.

Unread 04/20/2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklee987 View Post
Very nice. Have you found a positive ID on the possible whelks?

Hopefully when I order from here, I'll get a cat as well. Preferably a reef safe one.
Yes, actually I got positive IDs from the invert section of RC. One was a nassarius which I thought it was (the small white one) so he went back in the tank. The other couple whelks I found were not reef safe and were removed. They mostly fed on sponges, I think.

And yes, the cat is definitely reef safe. He cares not a whit about the tanks. He doesn't even like fish or any type of seafood. He sticks his nose up in the air at any food made with seafood...fish, shrimp, etc. He does like that wet food made from rabbit though so maybe he'd eat a rabbitfish I forget the brand that makes the wet food from rabbit meat but it's kinda pricey. I still buy it fairly regularly because my kitty-boy deserves to eat food he likes.

Unread 04/21/2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Delprincipe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudburst2000 View Post
Around a week, I think.
Our cycled that way with the 1st shipment also. How has your tank been running with the 2nd? Would love to see pictures.

Are you feeding your tank anything for the sponges/tunicates/anemones/etc?

Unread 04/21/2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delprincipe View Post
Our cycled that way with the 1st shipment also. How has your tank been running with the 2nd? Would love to see pictures.

Are you feeding your tank anything for the sponges/tunicates/anemones/etc?
I have some pics that I haven't yet uploaded...laziness I'll have more pics soon as I am actually trading a couple pieces to a local guy. I have way too much rock. I'll post some pics once my rockscape is finished.

And I have just started feeding the sponges some phyto. I don't have any anemones. I requested not to get any since not sure my lights would support them. I'll also be picking up some corals in the next week or two. There is a frag swap coming up soon. YAY!

Unread 04/21/2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Delprincipe
Registered Member

LOL, we also have tons of pics but not enough time to post.

How have your params been with feeding? Our levels are running towards the high end. Figuring that its an immature tank has a lot to do with it but feeding without fish is most likely contributing too.