Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2016, 09:51 PM   #4201
ThRoewer
Registered Member

No, the pair are #1 & #2, and they are fine so far. The one who died was the third Sumatra Regal I bought. I had him for 11 weeks and he was always eating well. Two weeks after I got him, I had to treat him and the pair against an ich outbreak he caused. I didn't have full light over the treatment tank so I didn't really see how much weight he had lost. Also, since he was eating like a pig, I wasn't worrying too much.
By the time I moved him back to the 42 gallon tank two weeks ago he was scary skinny. I increased feeding and also put every day a clam into the tank, but it didn't help. When he didn't came out for the evening feeding on Wednesday I already thought he was gone, but I saw him again on Thursday. He must have died on Friday.
Now my smallest (#4) is alone in that tank.

AC had a few small and tiny Philippine regals today and two larger Sumatra regals, but I rather passed for now.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2016, 10:06 PM   #4202
OrionN
Moved on

I wish I live near AC.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2016, 11:27 PM   #4203
ThRoewer
Registered Member

You can always move here

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/17/2016, 02:59 AM   #4204
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Another article on the new subspecies split:
A New Subspecies of Angelfish From the Indian Ocean

This article actually makes a valid case that the scientific name for the yellow belly regals should be Pygoplites diacanthus dux

It also discusses the equally significant P. imperator difference that may sooner or later lead to a similar split.

Unread 04/17/2016, 05:19 AM   #4205
OrionN
Moved on

In that article, the Pacific Regal is rounder and have shorter snout, and relatively higher dorsal fins. From the look of the two fish, or should I say fishes, the Pacific Regal seem quite a bit smaller/younger. I wonder if the shape differences seen is a function of size or of genetic.
BTW, human and chimpanzee share 98.8% of the DNA.
Just look at the DNA, these fishes are more different from each other than human and chimps. It is more logical that they should be classify as different species.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/17/2016, 07:08 AM   #4206
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
No, the pair are #1 & #2, and they are fine so far. The one who died was the third Sumatra Regal I bought. I had him for 11 weeks and he was always eating well. Two weeks after I got him, I had to treat him and the pair against an ich outbreak he caused. I didn't have full light over the treatment tank so I didn't really see how much weight he had lost. Also, since he was eating like a pig, I wasn't worrying too much.
By the time I moved him back to the 42 gallon tank two weeks ago he was scary skinny. I increased feeding and also put every day a clam into the tank, but it didn't help. When he didn't came out for the evening feeding on Wednesday I already thought he was gone, but I saw him again on Thursday. He must have died on Friday.
Now my smallest (#4) is alone in that tank.

AC had a few small and tiny Philippine regals today and two larger Sumatra regals, but I rather passed for now.
Sorry about your loss. Did you get it locally from a store or order it from some place?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2016, 09:19 AM   #4207
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
It is more logical that they should be classify as different species.
this....

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2016, 11:39 AM   #4208
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Well, about 2 days in now with mine and so far so good. He appears healthy and is actually eating good for me. I had a half shell clam waiting for him in the tank when I put him in. I've also put some NLS pellets and pieces of jumbo mysis in a dish and he seems to like all of it. Hopefully, he keeps doing well. Such awesome looking fish.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ra1.jpg (36.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg ra2.jpg (27.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg ra3.jpg (97.6 KB, 75 views)
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2016, 12:03 PM   #4209
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
Well, about 2 days in now with mine and so far so good. He appears healthy and is actually eating good for me. I had a half shell clam waiting for him in the tank when I put him in. I've also put some NLS pellets and pieces of jumbo mysis in a dish and he seems to like all of it. Hopefully, he keeps doing well. Such awesome looking fish.
That's awesome!

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2016, 03:50 PM   #4210
carrots
Registered Member

GimpyFin, glad to hear that it started eating right away. Your Regal has some cool markings. Best of luck with it.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2016, 07:20 PM   #4211
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Thank you guys.

Unread 04/18/2016, 02:54 AM   #4212
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Red Sea or Maldives?
Looks nice, just seems a tad thin. You will need to feed him as often as possible to see that he gains weight.

Quote:
In that article, the Pacific Regal is rounder and have shorter snout, and relatively higher dorsal fins. From the look of the two fish, or should I say fishes, the Pacific Regal seem quite a bit smaller/younger. I wonder if the shape differences seen is a function of size or of genetic.
BTW, human and chimpanzee share 98.8% of the DNA.
Just look at the DNA, these fishes are more different from each other than human and chimps. It is more logical that they should be classify as different species.
As the article mentions, the definitions of species are somewhat inconsistent and kind of go by what was used to define the species.

Classical taxonomy goes largely by physical traits as number of fin rays, scales, lateral line and gill rakes. Color is usually ignored as the preserved samples traditionally used by taxonomists have usually most of their color.

Using mtDNA is definitely a more accurate approach to determine relations and evolutionary distance, but it is still not the primary taxonomic system.
Also, the current 2% criterion may be too rigid or too high.

Still local coloration pattern by themselves are still ignored or, like in this case, just used as clue to start an investigation.

Then there is geographic isolation. The only location where both color forms occur in the wild is the Christmas Island, and it seems there they live in parallel without forming hybrids or a mixed form. The reason for this may be my next point: social structure.

A variable that it is still largely ignored by taxonomy - at least for fish - is social structure.
Here the differences between YBR and BBR may be even more significant than coloration:
BBR live reportedly in a harem structure (Thresher 1982) while YBR form monogamous pairs (Brandl & Bellwood 2014)

I think all methods above have to be combined for the consideration of species status, and all the differences taken together plus the geographic separation may very well warrant a full species recognition of the YBR as Pygoplites dux.

As for chimp and humans: the gap is actually much wider than the 2.2% due to the fact that humans have DNA strands that chimpanzees don't have. Currently the gap is 6%: Human-Chimp Gene Gap Widens from Tally of Duplicate Genes

The more interesting question is if the chimpanzee really form a different genus (P a n) or rather belong as well to the genus h o m o - with all the legal strings attached (human rights, etc.)
(BTW: since when is the genus name of the human species a dirty word? Taxonomically every single human being is a "h o m o", so how can it be offensive?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Sorry about your loss. Did you get it locally from a store or order it from some place?
Local store

Unread 04/18/2016, 08:36 AM   #4213
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Maldives. Yeah, he's definitely not as tubby as all my other fish, but I tend to overfeed a little so as long as he keeps eating, he should be plump before too long.

Unread 04/18/2016, 10:05 AM   #4214
OrionN
Moved on

My Yellow Chest Regal today as the light turn on. He is eating flakes and Nori like a champ but would not touch Mysis.
With what ThRoewer wrote above, I am not sure if I should put him into my DT since I have a Pacific regal in there. Maybe I should hunt for another yellow chest Regal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RegalAngel2016041801.jpg (56.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg RegalAngel2016041802.jpg (63.2 KB, 176 views)

Unread 04/18/2016, 10:23 AM   #4215
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
My Yellow Chest Regal today as the light turn on. He is eating flakes and Nori like a champ but would not touch Mysis.
With what ThRoewer wrote above, I am not sure if I should put him into my DT since I have a Pacific regal in there. Maybe I should hunt for another yellow chest Regal.

Beautiful fish.

Unread 04/18/2016, 12:03 PM   #4216
OrionN
Moved on

Thanks. I like your mis-bar, very nice fish also.

Unread 04/19/2016, 10:47 PM   #4217
Spartanman22
Registered Member

I just picked up a Juvi regal. Not sure if it's yellow belly or not since it's still so small. He hasn't eaten yet, but has shown interest. I've got some fresh clams and a plethora of frozen foods. So, hopefully he takes to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2016, 09:07 AM   #4218
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
With what [COLOR=Black]ThRoewer wrote above, I am not sure if I should put him into my DT since I have a Pacific regal in there. Maybe I should hunt for another yellow chest Regal.
Nice that he eats flakes!

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2016, 10:52 AM   #4219
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Day 5 and mine still seems to be eating good. Seems to really like mysis and even picking seaweed off the clip. Been trying to hunt down some black worms near me but it has proven a little trickier than I thought.

Unread 04/20/2016, 11:10 AM   #4220
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Day 5 and mine still seems to be eating good. Seems to really like mysis and even picking seaweed off the clip. Been trying to hunt down some black worms near me but it has proven a little trickier than I thought.
As long as he is eating and like Mysis, I would not bother with black worms. Try flakes. The ones that like Nori really will go for flakes also.

Unread 04/20/2016, 11:58 AM   #4221
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
As long as he is eating and like Mysis, I would not bother with black worms. Try flakes. The ones that like Nori really will go for flakes also.
Good to know, I may give that a shot as well. Thanks!

Unread 04/20/2016, 03:03 PM   #4222
carrots
Registered Member

What a beauty Spartanman, Love to find a Juvi like that. Try some blood worms to get him going Good luck.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2016, 11:42 PM   #4223
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My pair discovered that LPS are edible - they started to harass my Tubastrea and large Blastomussa wellsi - GRRR

Unread 04/21/2016, 12:25 AM   #4224
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
My pair discovered that LPS are edible - they started to harass my Tubastrea and large Blastomussa wellsi - GRRR

Did your regal that died come from aquatic collection?

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2016, 01:01 AM   #4225
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Did your regal that died come from aquatic collection?
Yes.
Cyanide being used is a risk with fish from Indonesia or the Philippines. Certain fish have a very high likelihood of being caught that way, especially those that usually hide in the rockwork like marine betta (one good reason to breed them) and also small regal angels.