Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2009, 10:44 PM   #1
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

How do you guys prevent dead spots?

I'm gonna be setting up my 180 gallon hopefully soon, I was wondering how you all prevent dead spots? I had a vortech and a closed loop on my small 40 breeder and still ended up with dead spots. I'd like to prevent this in the new tank. LMK!

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 12:24 AM   #2
elijaher
Registered Member

That is one I like to know. Maybe be easy to do with barebottom.

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

I used a pair of Vortech MP40W's in my 180, slightly offset on opposing side walls of the tank. Experimenting with different modes (trial and error), I was able to eliminate all noticeable dead spots...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 11:16 AM   #4
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

I have 3 vortechs on the back wall of my 4x3 -180g and it was great... then corals started growing in to the point where.... dead spots were made I'm thinking of tossing a couple modded maxijets near the bottom but damnit if the cord length isn't going to be a pain to get around, or I can mount them near the top simply pointing them down towards the bottom. (translation... I don't feel like spending $400+ per vortech to remove some dead spots )

However you could simply deal with the dead spots, knowing that most all the detritus will end up in those locations so when you do your water changes you can easily siphon all of it out.

Unread 11/07/2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Chalu
Registered Member

I am actually planning on a dead spot/very low flow area (will happen eventually anyway as corals grow...also a downside with drilled CL's)..hoping this will add some space for detritus for the pods. I will play around to see how this goes.

IME the best way to get max water movement throughtout the tank is by using a wavemaker. for a 180G you may want to get the riser or run two.

Chalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Chalu
Registered Member

Or go barebottom & point the powerheads straight down...

Chalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 12:21 PM   #7
reefsafe
Premium Member

what about adding an mp20?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1969509

Current Tank Info: 360 Gallon AGE tank, Radion lighting, mp60 pumps and lots of equipment
reefsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 12:34 PM   #8
dahenley
Registered Member

where are the dead spots?
there is a local reefer that took a piece of PVC and ran it on top of the sand behind the rocks. then put a 90 on it and pointed it up. then capped both ends of the PVC. he drilled holes facing up on the bottom piece. then on the vertical PVC, he attached a MJ1200. this pushes fresh water from the top of the tank down the tube and adds some water movement to the bottom of the tank and prevents dead spots. (its all hidden behind the rock and the pvc is purple now so you cant see it at all.

just a cheap and simple option.

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 01:00 PM   #9
turtleman9100
Registered Member

closed loop with multiple sea swirls. I run 3 in my tank and two tunzes. No dead stops.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon tall mixed reef, 1/2 HP Chiller, Bubble King Mini 180, GEO 818cr
turtleman9100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2009, 03:48 PM   #10
mm949
Registered Member

3 hammerhead pumps...

mm949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 06:45 AM   #11
davez104
Registered Member

This is what I will be using soon to prevent dead spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeaeTP1CNIo

2 panworld pressure pumps with eductors on the outlets on a 150G tank

Cheers,
Dave.

davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 07:18 AM   #12
wdt2000
Registered Member

Imo a few ecotech's in the right place will do the job.

wdt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 08:54 AM   #13
murfman
Registered Member

I have a closed loop with 12 ports, 9 on the back and 3 on the bottom. The back use orbital bulkheads and the bottom terminate in Ts. Two Dart pumps power the CLM and a Snapper is on the return from the sump. The return has two orbitals, near the top of the overflows. I also have a full size wavebox and I still have dead spots.

One one of the orbitals I changed out and put twin locline so that I could direct flow where I needed it. Some of the outlets have to be throttled back as they put out too much flow and my sand blows all over the place.

My dead spots are right in front of my SPS and near one of my bottom outlets. I just added a Koralia 3 pumping off the back wall toward the corner. I hope this wraps around the front and adds more flow at the sand bed without moving the substrate around.

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2009, 12:20 PM   #14
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Wow! I didn't know anyone had responded to my post. I just got 1 more sea swirl. I will have 3, and I will be drilling 3 more holes towards the sand bed. Hope that will work. If not, I planned to save up for a vortech. Or something similar. I am going to be using a super dart.

Davez wow!!! A very good idea. That flow looks great! I cannot drill the bottom of this tank though. =(

Murfman do u have pictures???

Thank you all for responding.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote