Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2014, 06:29 PM   #101
Aqualund
Registered Member

Sure thing man. oh yeah no need to get a new one....and yeah you'll have to do some soldering.

Aqualund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2014, 02:13 AM   #102
Idefixes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualund View Post
You can drive two Lumias with only 5 ldd's, and have more lumens per watt output compared to your 25w chips.
I know that all but i don't see the need to spend 220$ to for 140W since i don't need more than 40/50W...

Marc

Idefixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2014, 09:49 AM   #103
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefixes View Post
I know that all but i don't see the need to spend 220$ to for 140W since i don't need more than 40/50W...

Marc
You're right, I don't either, but it seemed very much like you were comparing the two chips and highlighting how better and cost effective your chips were than the lumias...

Even then, all I was doing was informing you that you can run two lumias with only 5 ldd's, contrary to what you may have first thought:

Quote:
so i can connect in serie 2 of this led and have a better ligth pattern with only 5 LDD driver instead 2x 50W and 10 LDD driver.
So I'm not sure why you're comparing at all. The chips are not the same...they use 1watt leds, they are probably bridgelux lower grade, the wattage is not the same, etc etc.

You're post seemed more like an advertisement for whatever product you're peddling, rather than a side by side comparison...and even then, like I said, they are incomparable.

Unread 02/23/2014, 05:32 PM   #104
thedru13
Registered Member

If I wanted to add the storm x controller would i need to add an additional channel or the 5up channel board will be enough?

thedru13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2014, 08:36 PM   #105
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedru13 View Post
If I wanted to add the storm x controller would i need to add an additional channel or the 5up channel board will be enough?
Dunno man I've never used that one

Unread 02/23/2014, 08:39 PM   #106
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
No reason you can't use your typhon controller. Two of the lumia channels are identical so just run them both on the same typhon Pin. The lumia5.2 only has 4 unique color channels. A design flaw in my opinion but that's the way it is.

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2014, 08:46 PM   #107
zachts
Registered Member

the storm controller gives you 6 channels of control
the stormX gives you 16 (not many builds need that many)

Unread 02/23/2014, 08:52 PM   #108
thedru13
Registered Member

Was thinking it would be cool to have the cloud cover option as well as the storm effect. Maybe just being sold on a gimmick. Its such a rats nest in my hood I just want to start fresh and clean..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
No reason you can't use your typhon controller. Two of the lumia channels are identical so just run them both on the same typhon Pin. The lumia5.2 only has 4 unique color channels. A design flaw in my opinion but that's the way it is.

Unread 02/23/2014, 09:18 PM   #109
Aqualund
Registered Member

Quote:
no reason you can't use your typhon controller. Two of the lumia channels are identical so just run them both on the same typhon pin. The lumia5.2 only has 4 unique color channels. A design flaw in my opinion but that's the way it is.
+1

Unread 02/23/2014, 09:32 PM   #110
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Was thinking it would be cool to have the cloud cover option as well as the storm effect. Maybe just being sold on a gimmick. Its such a rats nest in my hood I just want to start fresh and clean..
Personally I don't like the lighting effect, it's just kind of weird. The clouds are kind of cool though, but I had to mod the code because by default they happen way, way, too often for my liking. As does the lighting if you have it enabled, I also modified that code to make lightning only happen once in a rare while, but still don't relay care for it, personal preference though.

You would only need the Storm controller, not the StormX i think though. Unless you need more than 6 channels no need to spend the extra money, and honestly if it were me I'd just use what I had on hand. but it's up to you.

The only other advantages of the Storm/StormX would be it has moon light simulation built in, (but you will need a few dedicated LEDs and their own low power LDD driver to make full use of that function.) It also has fan control and temp read out capabilities. though the temp does not control the fans, but it could with some modified code.

Unread 02/23/2014, 09:40 PM   #111
thedru13
Registered Member

Great info zachts... would rather save a few bucks where i can. already going to re use my heat sync. Maybe I can use my blue LEDs(24 XPE royal blues) now for the moonlites with the controller.

I like the typhoon. I haven't had any issue with it. Its simple and easy to use. Wish it had some more bells and whistles..

Quote:
Personally I don't like the lighting effect, it's just kind of weird. The clouds are kind of cool though, but I had to mod the code because by default they happen way, way, too often for my liking. As does the lighting if you have it enabled, I also modified that code to make lightning only happen once in a rare while, but still don't relay care for it, personal preference though.

You would only need the Storm controller, not the StormX i think though. Unless you need more than 6 channels no need to spend the extra money, and honestly if it were me I'd just use what I had on hand. but it's up to you.

The only other advantages of the Storm/StormX would be it has moon light simulation built in, (but you will need a few dedicated LEDs and their own low power LDD driver to make full use of that function.) It also has fan control and temp read out capabilities. though the temp does not control the fans, but it could with some modified code.

Unread 02/23/2014, 10:03 PM   #112
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Great info zachts... would rather save a few bucks where i can. already going to re use my heat sync. Maybe I can use my blue LEDs(24 XPE royal blues) now for the moonlites with the controller.

I like the typhoon. I haven't had any issue with it. Its simple and easy to use. Wish it had some more bells and whistles..
24 leds will be way too bright for moon lights. I have a StormX and am right now using a blue channel with 6 luxeon blues driven at 550mA as the moon lights but I have to have them dimmed down to a max of 60 out of the total 4095 steps for use as moon light, which severely limits the resolution of the moon light function. A dedicated moon light channel is the way to go if using the Storm controller as it only has 255 steps of resolution and you would not be able to dim them enough to use you main LEDs for moon light. It is possible on the StormX but severely limits the moon light effect resolution.

For a basic moon light effect you could simply use two or so LEDs driven at 350mA that are just on all the time. Or on a lamp timer if you want a period of total darkness at night.

Unread 02/23/2014, 10:13 PM   #113
thedru13
Registered Member

Yah wasn't going to use all 24..... LOL. Was going to keep a few to see how it worked out. As you can tell I am not very good at this yet.

Unread 02/24/2014, 04:19 PM   #114
Aqualund
Registered Member

Today I got my par meter back and dis some measurements. There were patches that either didnt show up before or I didn't notice before of 400-600 par. For this it was the area where the lumia beam and the supplemental lights overlapped. I removed the lenses to get a more uniform pattern and to blur those lines more evenly, and it worked great.

Im still getting 250-300 par now, and that's with all channels less than 80% and the white less than 50% and no lenses. Sandbed is 50-125 par. I will start here and increase over time if needed.

Unread 02/26/2014, 02:24 PM   #115
Fredfish
Registered Member

Aqualund. Now that you have removed the optics, have you run just the Lumias to see how the light spread differs from what it did with the optics?

Unread 02/26/2014, 03:14 PM   #116
Aqualund
Registered Member

Yup...obviously there is larger spread...but yeah I still needed the supplemental along the edge.

Unread 02/26/2014, 08:56 PM   #117
Fredfish
Registered Member

So two Lumias is not sufficient to cover a 24 x 48" area. If you had 3, would it cover or is 24" simply too wide for a single chip? I think I know the answer, but I'm a certified pedant, so I gotta ask.

Unread 02/26/2014, 10:33 PM   #118
Aqualund
Registered Member

Well technically it covers it. There is coverage. I would say...at the middle of a 24x24 area with the par being 300, the edges will be about 75...those numbers just represent the ratio.

My thing is that if you have sps coral you need the multiple point sources and the 300 all the way to the edge...so thats where even if you had 3 in a row the edges would still be 75..but thats a preference thing I guess.

Unread 02/27/2014, 12:49 AM   #119
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualund View Post
Well technically it covers it. There is coverage. I would say...at the middle of a 24x24 area with the par being 300, the edges will be about 75...those numbers just represent the ratio.

My thing is that if you have sps coral you need the multiple point sources and the 300 all the way to the edge...so thats where even if you had 3 in a row the edges would still be 75..but thats a preference thing I guess.
Its the multiple point sources that has me wondering. Some people complain that tanks lit with LED cannons (multichips) have too much contrast between lit and shaded areas.

Its time for me to start my own thread with all the thoughts I have rattling round between my ears.

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Unread 02/27/2014, 01:28 AM   #120
machote
Registered Member

I have a 32" deep tank x 92 lenght how many of this fixtures i would need?

machote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 01:28 AM   #121
machote
Registered Member

I forgot i want to keep sps

machote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 09:22 AM   #122
Aqualund
Registered Member

If you do just the fixtures, I would do at least 4 and then surround each of these with 4 3-up clusters 12 inches from the center of each fixture. This is minimum.

Unread 03/08/2014, 06:27 PM   #123
RustyPressnall
Registered Member

Wow, what a great build.

I have a 48Lx18Dx22H 80g mixed reef with a RapidLED dimmable kit and a Typhon controller on it. I'm thinking about upgrading to something like your Lumia 5.2's with clusters idea. Would you mind posting a rundown on which drivers are running which chips?

I have a center brace too, so I'm thinking 1 Lumia plus clusters on a 12" heat sink for each side of the brace. Probably no optics, I'll only be about six inches off the water. Part of the logic for the clusters is I'm not sure if just 2 Lumia 5.2's will be enough light.

I'm pretty excited about a new build, when I did my current one the color choices in high power chips was pretty slim and as time goes by I feel like the tank doesn't POP as much as it did with my old 8x54W T5's.

Thanks for taking the time to document your build. It's people like you who are willing to share their experience that make this hobby so much less frustrating for the new folks.

Kind regards,

R

RustyPressnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 08:55 PM   #124
Aqualund
Registered Member

Thanks for all the kind words Rusty As far as drivers...I'm using all Meanwell ldd-h drivers...700mA and 1000mA varieties

Unread 03/10/2014, 10:59 AM   #125
sparky45
Registered Member

I just finished my lumia 5.2 build. I used the storm x for my controller. I went with the 12in makers heat sink. I only have one fan but I'm thinking of getting another just for extra heat transfer. These things are bright.

sparky45 is offline   Reply With Quote